Rewriting history

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Carey is probably more based on the first loan spell with us when he was phenomenal. 

When he joined up full time he was woefully out of shape and just couldn't hit the ground running. 

Thought Carey was excellent for both stints. Would happily take him for a third. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:48, Insaintee said:

Arren Mooy is the obvious one, although he did score that goal against the ****. Spent most of his time injured or warming up. There clearly was a player there though. 

Kirk Broadfoot is the one I don't get. When he went to the scum I thought he was decent at best ( and frequently not)  but fans go on about him as if he was Beckenbaur. 

Gus McPherson seems to have become a tactical genius since leaving the club, instead of a moaning wee baldy b*****d set out his team ultra neative, most famously refusing to let the team push forward in a cup final against a nine man **** 

Imrie, Carey, Harkins all went on to have great to reasonable careers after leaving St Mirren.  You could see all three were players.  Imrie is a moaning wee shite, Harkins is lazy and Carey is real talent that at times could over play things.  Carey won most fans round, but there's still some go gon about him. 

Now that is a case of rewriting history - if you look at the point were we lost possession we had five, yes five,, players in the Rangers box and nine (maybe 10) in their half .

Great tactics from MacPerson that day just a pity that our defence switched off for 15 seconds.

Mooy was a strange one - DL spent a lot of time chasing him and then left him on the bike :unsure: most weeks, Mooy looked good enough for a bottom 6 team but I don't know of anyone who predicted how his career would develop when he left us to return to Australia. 

Imrie, Carey (second spell), & Harkins all struggled to get a game for us when we had a very strong midfield Goodwin, McLean McGinn, McoGwan & Teale - the problem was the first three were all let go in conjunction with McGowans "troubles" & subsequent departure and age finally catching up with Teale. I can't remember what midfielders TC replaced them with - a clear case of PTSD!   

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'd never have went to a game again if Pars lost a cup final against 9 men. Fair play to the Buddies for having no shame.

That's not even my worst Saints game - Hammarby 1985 - here's an account from a fellow fan. :bag

My most vivid memory of Love Street was the night St.Mirren played Hammarby of Sweden in a UEFA Cup tie. It was 1985 and I would have been 12 at the time. St. Mirren had drawn the away leg 3-3, with Brian Gallagher having scored a hatrick.

My dad, who never normally went to games, took both myself and Fraser Mackie (now writing with the Mail on Sunday) after much persuasion and we stood huddled directly under the floodlight pylon between Love Street and the North Bank.

It had been raining earlier, and the lush green grass was glistening under the lights. I remember that it was dry for most of the game, but still pretty cold. However, we soon warmed up when Frank McGarvey put the Saints in the lead. There was genuine belief that the team was destined to go to the next round.

But then, with less than five minutes to go, the world caved in - right in front of us at the Love Street goalmouth. Hammarby scored to make it 1-1 on the night and 4-4 on aggregate. This was well before the advent of known injury time, but we still felt ok, if a little edgy, as the away goals rule would carry the team through. All we just had to do was see out a couple of minutes - no big deal. The passback rule was not in force then, so there was every opportunity to kill the game it seemed.

But the team still seemed nervous, and not really slowing the game down at all. In fact it looked as if they still wanted to win on the night as well! I still remember yelling at Campbell Money to take more time with the by kicks, but he was never going to hear me!

With the 90 minutes surely up, Hammarby scored again. Thankfully it was ruled out for offside or some other infringement, allowing a collective sigh of relief and a round of mock cheers. This relief was short lived. We howled for the final whistle, but it never arrived in time.

From the ensuing free kick, possession was again lost and Hammarby bore back down on goal and scored yet again - to send St Mirren out and the the rest of us home, disbelieving of what we had just seen.

Archived