Oxfam scandal

ICTChris

There has been a brewing scandal in recent days over revelations that Oxfam charity workers used prostitutes in Haiti when working there on aid projects following the earthquake that caused devastation in Haiti in 2010.   The Times reported that the charity covered up the scandal by not releasing a report into the affair, allowing senior staff to leave in a "phased and dignified manner" to avoid any negative implications for the charity and that Oxfam did not inform the Haitian authorities of the events.  The Charity Commission are investigating following the story.  There are also claims that one of the senior staff involved also used prostitutes when working for Oxfam in Chad several years before they were assigned to Haiti.  The  deputy chief executive has resigned and there are calls for Oxfam's government funding to be cut.  Also, there are obvious concerns for Oxfam regarding public donations as publicity like this doesn't exactly draw people into donating.

I'm not surprised that this sort of thing happens, there are numerous instances of charity workers behaving in this way, as well as relief workers, soldiers, peacekeepers etc.  Haiti had a prominent sex tourism industry before the earthquake and is a particularly corrupt country.  There have been other issues with aid and donations being misappropriated - Wyclef Jean set up a charity following the earthquake that has serious questions around it, having spent very large figures on luxury accommodation and travel, leaving little for actual projects. 

Will this scandal affect P&Bers donating to Oxfam?

Have any P&Bers ever exploited a humanitarian disaster to get a cheap back alley knee trembler from a starving local?

Would any P&Bers like to donate to my charitable trust funding a fact-finding mission for me and the lads to Amsterdam?

Sounds like Oxfam's workers have been make a few donations of their own, eh eh eh?  Brings a whole new meaning to the words "relief worker".

Begs the question, is there any organisation left on this planet that isn't embroiled in some sort of sex scandal?  

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sounds like Oxfam's workers have been make a few donations of their own, eh eh eh?  Brings a whole new meaning to the words "relief worker".

Begs the question, is there any organisation left on this planet that isn't embroiled in some sort of sex scandal?  

Aberdeen FC, Willie Low's, Home Bargains and the The Moonies are the last four untainted. 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Div scrubbing the P&B hot tub with bleach as we speak.

Was Oxfam money being used to pay for this, or were the sleazy scumbags using their own money to persuade desperate women to f**k them?

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I think it was named after a sex scandal involving Dundee prozzers being paid to hang tins of corned beef from the original owner's private parts.

Yes, scrub that. I remember my mum telling me the guy on the butcher counter in the one in Carnoustie was quite the cad. 

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There has been a brewing scandal 

Have any P&Bers ever exploited a humanitarian disaster to get a cheap back alley knee trembler from a starving local?

I was worried when I read the first bit.

The other bit, I wouldn't call it a humanitarian disaster, as such...

While it is obviously completely unacceptable behaviour from the lads and lassies at Oxfam, I can't help but feel this is nothing more than a political attack on Oxfam by folk who disagree with their left leaning position and relatively frequent politically based broadcasts. This happened 7 years ago and was well publicised at the time(On the BBC amongst others), so why is it only now that the press are digging into it?

Slightly OT but not quite. We could maybe do with a humanitarian crisis in Glasgow. It would give that Oxfam lot a chance to prove once and for all whether or not the fat ones really do try harder.

While it is obviously completely unacceptable behaviour from the lads and lassies at Oxfam, I can't help but feel this is nothing more than a political attack on Oxfam by folk who disagree with their left leaning position and relatively frequent politically based broadcasts. This happened 7 years ago and was well publicised at the time(On the BBC amongst others), so why is it only now that the press are digging into it?

Happens fairly regularly these days, only this time it’s an attack on something perceived to be on the left, as opposed to digging up dirt on people/organisations which are considered to be more right wing.

1 minute ago, anotherchance said:

Happens fairly regularly these days, only this time it’s an attack on something perceived to be on the left, as opposed to digging up dirt on people/organisations which are considered to be more right wing.

Yeah, I understand that, but I'm struggling to understand why it is only an issue now when it was well publicised at the time. Was it acceptable in 2010? Any charity work I have been involved with in the past was sadly lacking in debauchery. I feel cheated but I guess seeing as it's no longer acceptable I should feel lucky.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Div scrubbing the P&B hot tub with bleach as we speak.

Was Oxfam money being used to pay for this, or were the sleazy scumbags using their own money to persuade desperate women to f**k them?

I'm not entirely upset that my £3 per month is being spent on tarts.

Next advertising campaign should be a laugh though.

Just £3 per month can provide clean drinking water for a family.
£10 per month can provide vaccinations for an entire village.
£25 per month will allow an Oxfam worker to be sucked off until he passes out.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Slightly OT but not quite. We could maybe do with a humanitarian crisis in Glasgow. It would give that Oxfam lot a chance to prove once and for all whether or not the fat ones really do try harder.

4 hours ago, Romeo said:

I am sure that the recent "outcry" by backbench Tories about reducing/scrapping the aid budget has nothing to do with this...

nothing at all....

At least we avoided the uncomfortable, yet inevitable Israeli Defence Force sex scandal exposé when DFID managed to stop Priti Patel from sending money meant to be spent on clean water for disaster victims on evicting Palestinians from their homes, trying teenage girls for terrorism offences for slapping a soldiers and machine gunning kiddies for throwing rocks. 

This is all suspicious as f**k btw.