Hibernian vs Aberdeen

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Allan d’Or said:

Ambrose has been our best right-back this season. I think our only effective alternative would be three centre-backs with Boyle at wing-back.

Ambrose has been better defending at right-back than anyone else this season and has been a better attacking threat than any of our full-backs. I want Ambrose at centre-back but I have no issue with him out wide; if we have Stevenson on the other side, Ambrose can complement Stevenson’s stalwart defending with an attacking outlet.

Our connoisseur of cigars may be one of the most effective & consistent dribblers in the league; aside from Whittaker, he is our only reliable crosser from full-back.

That may be the most melancholic Hibs stat that I’ve seen.

Liam Miller’s last game against Aberdeen (his final Hibs game) was also a ‘memorial match’ - after Eddie Turnbull’s death. We lost 1-3 in the last game of the 2010-11 season.

We had an official attendance of 19k in the previous Home tie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41534266

Our defensive woes and injury issues have arguably hampered our progress, but I believe that the absence of Barker is a blessing in disguise. Lennon setup the same way in both games against The Dons and we suffered because of it. Barker & Boyle were nullified in both games, with Barker leaving Stevenson to defend on his own against Mackay-Steven and Logan.

Lennon may be pressed into playing more deeper midfielders this time and we should benefit from this.

Another difference will be the presence of Kamberi, who has been a pleasant surprise so far. He has looked like the forward that we were missing in the Aberdeen games.

I would prefer us to play three centre-backs, although I would like to see Boyle getting onto Allan’s sumptuous RSBs™. The False m9 will be key to unlocking Aberdeen.

Big Efe, slippers on, cigar out. What a man. Sure showed me I was wrong. 

87441555-D9D1-495A-BB85-3B24530D498A.png.6340531f8041da15e68dbe942eba65f3.png

A few thoughts. 

• Shinnie has missed two games this season. We have lost both of them 2-0 and created virtually nothing in either. The game today was won and lost in the middle of the park, and highlighted just how important Shinnie is to our form. 
  • Our defence is looking concerningly porous. Logan, whilst a good player, isn't hitting the heights of previous seasons. O'Connor, even when he is playing relatively well, is an accident waiting to happen, often due to carelessness or a sheer lack of concentration. McKenna is a good prospect, but still inexperienced - he had a really poor game today and would benefit from a more reliable partner than O'Connor. Considine is Considine. Woodman, somewhat ironically, had easily his best game so far, and saved the team and our defence from taking a real hiding. 
  • We are still too concerned in 'big games' with 'matching up'. I'm struggling to think of many times under McInnes that it has really worked, and it hurt us again - and against a team we had already beaten twice this season. 
  • Hibs were more aggressive and assertive than us. The second half was almost a role-reversal of the 4-1 game at Pittodrie. Again, this can partly be attributed to missing Shinnie, but that's not a good enough excuse for the rest of the team.
  • Performances like that are why Mackay-Steven didn't make it at Celtic, and why Christie probably won't either.

Just now, Cumdog35 said:

Hibs 8 fouls 2 bookings

Aberdeen 20 fouls 5 bookings

That's indiscipline, not aggression. McGeouch and McGinn were aggressive - they dug in, battled hard and controlled the midfield, especially in the second half. It's praise for the way Hibs approached the game, not a swipe. 

Great performance against a team that we’ve struggled against. Scott Allan was a joy to watch, while Efe clearly disregarded the no smoking inside Scottish stadiums law as he had the cigar out 2nd half.

On to Aberdeen, I thought Gary Mitchell-Steven was very quiet today. It was hard out there for them as they were chasing shadows all afternoon.

That second half. :lol: 

Boys next to me still screaming at Boyle every time he touched the ball even after he scored. :lol:

The sheep trying to be all tough with the bootleg jambo Hibees are gay song after managing to talk their way past the stewards at the end of St Clair St. :lol:

Archived