Ayr vs East Fife

Agree. First i've seen him. Won more tackles than I expected but had a few passes that went wrong. If he stays fit should do OK though. I think it was him who had a really good touch and wee pass wide to set up opener for McDaid

I thought he did the "Docherty role" pretty well today. Yes gave the ball away a couple of times but moped up quite well.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. First i've seen him. Won more tackles than I expected but had a few passes that went wrong. If he stays fit should do OK though. I think it was him who had a really good touch and wee pass wide to set up opener for McDaid

Yeah he did well for the first goal and could’ve had a goal himself but he’s not played regularly since Hartley came into Falkirk so he can’t be up to speed yet.

Was pleased with Bell at centre half. No nonsense and will just punt the ball out instead of trying to play himself out of bother.

Thought Shankland was the usual standout along with good performances from Geggan, Ruddy & Adams.  McDaid also very sound and always looks a threat. Come on Moff stick a foot in,  and try and win a header now and again. 

All in all very sound against the worst team in the div.

We struggled for most of the first half, didn't get going and East Fife won most of the battles but never got within 20 yards of goal. A McDaid goal from nothing just after he had switched wings was probably undeserved at that point.

Second half it was all Ayr fr the first half hour, found our stride and started to play football on the deck, Shanklands goal was an example of why he shouldn't be at this level and a fairly solid looking penalty award made the score look more accurate. 

Glad Ruddy got a clean sheet, did everything he was asked to do well, came and more importantly held every cross. Bell was poor in the first half and strolled through the second, Geggan drove forward a lot and stopped us playing the ball across the back four like we are prone to do. Kerr was miles off the pace. 

East Fife defended well but had nothing much by way of attack, the number 20 looked a good player, very direct but without much direction or support, the midfield looked more ball-winning than ball playing. 

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Yeah he did well for the first goal and could’ve had a goal himself but he’s not played regularly since Hartley came into Falkirk so he can’t be up to speed yet.

Was pleased with Bell at centre half. No nonsense and will just punt the ball out instead of trying to play himself out of bother.

How you guys doing injury wise?

We have just come through a bad spell, but still got one or two on the sidelines.

You had quite a few sidelined the other week?

Thought Kerr was mince at the start, too many wayward passes, too slow, not winning the ball in midfield. He improved a little but hopefully it's just because he's not match fit. McDaid looked tired to me, even with his funny running style, struggled to get back,  but his goal was similar to many he's scored this season. After the first the team seemed to up it a bit, until Shanks decided to up it on his own with his goal.

Can't really judge Ruddy with how little he had to do today, the only save I can remember he was put under pressure with was a fingertips save from a free kick and a short backpass from Rose that bobbled just as he cleared it. But generally he was much more vocal with the defence and came out to collect high balls more. Sorry Callum & Itzdrk, no cause for the Hart  fanboys to come out on the attack today.

Kerr looked slightly rusty (although the pitch was hardly conducive to a good passing game) but what a difference it makes having someone with his positional awareness in the middle. Always offers the centre halves an option in possession (which has been sorely, if understandably, lacking in a pairing of Moffat and Adams) and knows where to be to screen them when defending. He'll get sharper each week and it's important we keep him in the team until Docherty's back.

Bell should be the preferred partner for Rose for the rest of the season IMO. Rose is not without his faults (as has been well documented on here), but Bell is a good foil for him. Bell is good enough on the ball to allow us to play out from the back through either centre half, and is physically dominant enough that Rose can play as a sweeper (which he was excellent at today) rather than having to be the dominant centre half himself. He also seems a much more calming influence on Rose than Reid is; today was probably the most assured Rose has looked since Higgins got injured.

7 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

How you guys doing injury wise?

We have just come through a bad spell, but still got one or two on the sidelines.

You had quite a few sidelined the other week?

How you guys doing on your own threads? Have our fans come and polluted your threads the way you lot do whenever we have a slip?

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

How you guys doing on your own threads? Have our fans come and polluted your threads the way you lot do whenever we have a slip?

:thumbsdown

I asked a genuinely civil question of NTG.

Nothing other than that,sheeeesh!!

You have a problem with that, cos he didn't..

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Thought Kerr was mince at the start, too many wayward passes, too slow, not winning the ball in midfield. He improved a little but hopefully it's just because he's not match fit. McDaid looked tired to me, even with his funny running style, struggled to get back,  but his goal was similar to many he's scored this season. After the first the team seemed to up it a bit, until Shanks decided to up it on his own with his goal.

Can't really judge Ruddy with how little he had to do today, the only save I can remember he was put under pressure with was a fingertips save from a free kick and a short backpass from Rose that bobbled just as he cleared it. But generally he was much more vocal with the defence and came out to collect high balls more. Sorry Callum & Itzdrk, no cause for the Hart  fanboys to come out on the attack today.

Thought Ruddy done what he had to do today. First few crosses he stayed on his line, but grew in confidence during the game collected a few. I actually think him getting clattered at a cross in the first half helped his confidence. If he’s fouled he’ll get the foul 99% of the time. Glad he and the defence got the clean sheet.

2 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

:thumbsdown

I asked a genuinely civil question of NTG.

Nothing other than that,sheeeesh!!

You have a problem with that, cos he didn't..

Genuinely civil question...on an Ayr thread...from a Rovers fan

Sure sign it didn't go well for you lot today.

After a wee iffy start we eventually were really comfortable, pretty decent team performance, thought you could see a proper structure in the team for the majority of the game where it regularly has looked disjointed.  I also thought that Ruddy did well with what he was asked to do and was vocal and confident in going for the ball and very much earned his clean sheet, fair play.  Shankland and McDaid are excellent players for us and they both scored really nice goals today. 

Thought Bell looked good at the back (or at least better than Reid), he was a bit hesitant at getting rid of the ball but never really got himself into much trouble with it. 

Won't focus much on it but McGuffie playing was surprising and how he played was not. 

I thought that East Fife started quite well and looked to want to go forward, but this only lasted 6 or 7 minutes and they went into their shell, they were bad enough to allow us to play with two players (Kerr and McGuffie) having really bad games and never be under any threat until way ahead.  Were Docherty and Lamont (others?) a big miss or is it just hopeless? 

Spoiler

IMG-20180217-WA0019.thumb.jpeg.dc69921e3eee0a3592d4f7bd31b97f74.jpeg

Lower league fitba :lol:

We struggled for most of the first half, didn't get going and East Fife won most of the battles but never got within 20 yards of goal. A McDaid goal from nothing just after he had switched wings was probably undeserved at that point.
Second half it was all Ayr fr the first half hour, found our stride and started to play football on the deck, Shanklands goal was an example of why he shouldn't be at this level and a fairly solid looking penalty award made the score look more accurate. 
Glad Ruddy got a clean sheet, did everything he was asked to do well, came and more importantly held every cross. Bell was poor in the first half and strolled through the second, Geggan drove forward a lot and stopped us playing the ball across the back four like we are prone to do. Kerr was miles off the pace. 
East Fife defended well but had nothing much by way of attack, the number 20 looked a good player, very direct but without much direction or support, the midfield looked more ball-winning than ball playing. 

Think 'undeserved' is pretty harsh and wouldn't say we had struggled or that East Fife won all the battles first half. Without being great we were easily worth a 1-0 lead I thought.

57 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Think 'undeserved' is pretty harsh and wouldn't say we had struggled or that East Fife won all the battles first half. Without being great we were easily worth a 1-0 lead I thought.

It was almost the first shot on target and pretty much out of nothing. Thought we were very poor in the first half, looked tired and short of ideas, McDaid was woeful and spent the first 30min playing 1-2's with Boyle.

McGuffies crossing apart I thought both him and McDaid were below average in the first half, once they switched, McDaid was a lot better

McGuffie did ok and needs more games. 

It was almost the first shot on target and pretty much out of nothing. Thought we were very poor in the first half, looked tired and short of ideas, McDaid was woeful and spent the first 30min playing 1-2's with Boyle.
McGuffies crossing apart I thought both him and McDaid were below average in the first half, once they switched, McDaid was a lot better
McGuffie did ok and needs more games. 

McGuffie was poor again, gives the ball away too often I thought Forrest was better when he came on.

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

McGuffie was poor again, gives the ball away too often I thought Forrest was better when he came on.

Agree with Forrest being better, I thought McGuffie did ok, his passing was good but he didn't manage to beat anyone  all afternoon

Forrest looked sharp. A must keep for next season for me whatever league. Think folk forget he is still young (in scottish lower league terms). Is that 6 or 7 in 12 games from left midfield now?

Archived