Arbroath v Alloa

Smith doesn't seem to have settled in well at all. What's he doing getting sent off? 

Bit hard to judge any of our players yesterday. Mentally it must have been playing on their minds that we only had a young keeper, a centre back and our manager on the bench. Get injured and we are struggling. Smith out on the right wing yesterday and he wasn't doing that bad until he got sent off. I thought it was harsh but the better qualified in our support will sum it up better. Think we opted to go down down the left due to PJ, Flanny and Crane on that side who are all natural left sided players.

Yesterday was a horror show for both sides. Goodwin has said similar in his comments on our website. Fleming and Renton showed up well in the first half though.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought McKenna was one of our better performers, Wallace was definitely the boy to take off if any of the 2 were to be subbed, he was shocking today.

Can see why neither were subbed though, because the whole team were that bad. Gold and Omar had done f**k all and Swankie looked shattered by the time he ended up coming off.

All in all it’s not the worst day, if we get a result on Tuesday things will look a whole lot better.

Swanking shattered what with he was worst player looked a lot better when Yule came on yule done more in 15mins than swanks has done in the last 3games waste of my season ticket money

13 hours ago, Big lichtie said:

for me cant understand why we as a club are throwing out 18 month or 2 year deals to players if we get promoted wont cut it just my opinion .

This is a worry for me also to be honest. If we went up, we'd need to keep 10 and add 7/8 to them to have any chance of being competitive.

It was recently mentioned by Pink that we have 11 signed up for next year I believe. We don't actually know who we have signed up which is rather frustrating - but unless we don't plan to add to those 11 until we know what division we're in, and as long as it leaves us with plenty of budget left then we might be okay if we did go up. If we don't go up, I still think we're only 3/4 additions in the summer away from having a squad we can challenge right up the top of this division with. Our current squad would be a Brechin situation in the division above though.

I have to say it's interesting to see more and more fans seeing the same frustrations I've mentioned for god knows how long now. I'm glad it's not just me who feels frustrated at times knowing we have some top end attacking players in this division who are being played out of position/ in positions that hinders their attacking threat in order to fit them into our formation/ starting 11 with other players also. I just want to see us play our best players in their best positions when possible, it's as simple as that. I'm also very much someone who would prefer to be winning/ losing games 3-2 than winning/ losing games 1-0 which is what we seem to be progressing towards. I don't like having a well paid squad full of excellent attacking players and then setting up fairly defensively and shitfesting points out of games when in my opinion we could get similar results with far more excitement and value for money. Just look at the results we got in the first few months of the season.

One of the main issues yesterday, especially first half, seemed to be McKenna and especially Wallace ending up drifting out wide to pick up the ball and then left with very few/ no options in the box. This is one of the big issues with playing more defensive minded wing backs in my opinion, it means our strikers need to go out wide to get the ball, or it needs to be punted long to them which is just an utter waste in so many ways. This results in the long punt which is easily defended, or Wallace/ McKenna picking it up at their feet out wide and looking up to find very few options infront of them, because they're the ones meant to be in and around the box offering the option. Playing more defensive minded wing backs is obviously working, we've not conceded in 3 games which is superb, but is massively negates our attack and that is hugely frustrating. I feel like we're tactically lining up like a team fighting off relegation in a division where other teams have far more money/ better players and that simply isn't the case. Other teams should be looking to set up and stop us playing, we shouldn't be setting up to stop ourselves playing.

Incredibly - despite the above - I think there is bit of an over-reaction to yesterdays performance. We are a League 1 team filled with part time players and throughout the season we will have off days. Yesterday was an off day for pretty much every player, yet we still got a draw out of it and defended well. The players were obviously putting the effort in, it just didn't work on the day at all. As mentioned we've massively improved defensively in recent weeks and Alloa are a good side who sit above us in the table, although obviously at home and against 10 men for the final quarter you would expect us to have a bit more action in their penalty box over the 90 minutes. I also think Dick got the double substitution spot on when he brought on Linn/ Denholm and gave them 30 minutes instead of 10 or whatever to change the game, and although I certainly would have looked to bring McIntosh on I can understand Yule for Swankie also, although not what I would have done personally. It's a rare day when Dick makes subs I actually agree with in terms of personnel and timing of them, but he did yesterday!

This is a worry for me also to be honest. If we went up, we'd need to keep 10 and add 7/8 to them to have any chance of being competitive.
It was recently mentioned by Pink that we have 11 signed up for next year I believe. We don't actually know who we have signed up which is rather frustrating - but unless we don't plan to add to those 11 until we know what division we're in, and as long as it leaves us with plenty of budget left then we might be okay if we did go up. If we don't go up, I still think we're only 3/4 additions in the summer away from having a squad we can challenge right up the top of this division with. Our current squad would be a Brechin situation in the division above though.
I have to say it's interesting to see more and more fans seeing the same frustrations I've mentioned for god knows how long now. I'm glad it's not just me who feels frustrated at times knowing we have some top end attacking players in this division who are being played out of position/ in positions that hinders their attacking threat in order to fit them into our formation/ starting 11 with other players also. I just want to see us play our best players in their best positions when possible, it's as simple as that. I'm also very much someone who would prefer to be winning/ losing games 3-2 than winning/ losing games 1-0 which is what we seem to be progressing towards. I don't like having a well paid squad full of excellent attacking players and then setting up fairly defensively and shitfesting points out of games when in my opinion we could get similar results with far more excitement and value for money. Just look at the results we got in the first few months of the season.
One of the main issues yesterday, especially first half, seemed to be McKenna and especially Wallace ending up drifting out wide to pick up the ball and then left with very few/ no options in the box. This is one of the big issues with playing more defensive minded wing backs in my opinion, it means our strikers need to go out wide to get the ball, or it needs to be punted long to them which is just an utter waste in so many ways. This results in the long punt which is easily defended, or Wallace/ McKenna picking it up at their feet out wide and looking up to find very few options infront of them, because they're the ones meant to be in and around the box offering the option. Playing more defensive minded wing backs is obviously working, we've not conceded in 3 games which is superb, but is massively negates our attack and that is hugely frustrating. I feel like we're tactically lining up like a team fighting off relegation in a division where other teams have far more money/ better players and that simply isn't the case. Other teams should be looking to set up and stop us playing, we shouldn't be setting up to stop ourselves playing.
Incredibly - despite the above - I think there is bit of an over-reaction to yesterdays performance. We are a League 1 team filled with part time players and throughout the season we will have off days. Yesterday was an off day for pretty much every player, yet we still got a draw out of it and defended well. The players were obviously putting the effort in, it just didn't work on the day at all. As mentioned we've massively improved defensively in recent weeks and Alloa are a good side who sit above us in the table, although obviously at home and against 10 men for the final quarter you would expect us to have a bit more action in their penalty box over the 90 minutes. I also think Dick got the double substitution spot on when he brought on Linn/ Denholm and gave them 30 minutes instead of 10 or whatever to change the game, and although I certainly would have looked to bring McIntosh on I can understand Yule for Swankie also, although not what I would have done personally. It's a rare day when Dick makes subs I actually agree with in terms of personnel and timing of them, but he did yesterday!

Dick probably didn’t make them. No communication with the bench remember.

Swanking shattered what with he was worst player looked a lot better when Yule came on yule done more in 15mins than swanks has done in the last 3games waste of my season ticket money

Yule was terrible when he came on

Couldn’t trap a bag of cement and had a hilarious moment where he kicked it right out the park under no pressure at all

Nowhere near at our best yesterday,  really solid defensively again which is pleasing and would be confident of beating Alloa is somehow we were to meet in play offs. 

Hopefuly we can play better on Tuesday, I think Bobby and Danny will come in and we’ll be more offensive 

Nowhere near at our best yesterday,  really solid defensively again which is pleasing and would be confident of beating Alloa is somehow we were to meet in play offs. 
Hopefuly we can play better on Tuesday, I think Bobby and Danny will come in and we’ll be more offensive 

I think they need to come in but I’d rather see it in a 4-4-2. Also McIntosh for McKenna

I think that’s why we’re sticking with the 3

I’ve stopped changing ends at half time and the defence and Hutton have been brilliant in a 3, don’t think they can be criticised too much yesterday they done their jobs. Dealt with hunners of high and long balls very well. Hutton had a few poor kicks but the ball was bobbling about all over the place.

Midfield and forward wise though it really was dreadful.

Bonus for me too was that Alloa aren’t anything great either and if we make the playoffs alongside them I see no reason why we couldn’t beat them. I know they were missing players but out of the names mentioned only Cawley worries me.

I’d like to see us go

Hutton

Gold
Little
ToB
Hammy

Martin
Whatley

Linn
Swankie
Denholm

Wallace

But when you’ve got 4 wins and 3 draws in the last 7 can’t complain too much.

Maybe see a change on Tuesday.

I think is obvious above the fans would play differently and have different starting 11 but as we are still the form team in the league I can’t see anything other than 3-5-2, I also think it’s obvious Dick has his favourites and won’t be swayed by what others think, No matter what formation we have played he had managed to fit Swankie in to the team, He had done well upfront against Airdrie then we go sign McKenna and he ends back in midfield where he just doesn’t do enough, Also McKenna done ok yesterday but he isn’t a better player than McIntosh Linn Of Denholm who all deserve to be starting ahead of him, he had come from a poor 2 division team and walked into a team going well in league above  at the expense of players who got us to the position we are in, Absolutely baffling why McIntosh has been dropped after all the goals he scored in his short time at club, 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think that’s why we’re sticking with the 3

I’ve stopped changing ends at half time and the defence and Hutton have been brilliant in a 3, don’t think they can be criticised too much yesterday they done their jobs. Dealt with hunners of high and long balls very well. Hutton had a few poor kicks but the ball was bobbling about all over the place.

Midfield and forward wise though it really was dreadful.

Bonus for me too was that Alloa aren’t anything great either and if we make the playoffs alongside them I see no reason why we couldn’t beat them. I know they were missing players but out of the names mentioned only Cawley worries me.

I’d like to see us go

Hutton

Gold
Little
ToB
Hammy

Martin
Whatley

Linn
Swankie
Denholm

Wallace

But when you’ve got 4 wins and 3 draws in the last 7 can’t complain too much.

Maybe see a change on Tuesday.

Like the look if the system, would play McIntosh for Wallace, and Yule in for Swankie, I know Yule has his flaws, but the plays on the front foot,head up, is mobile, puts himself about

Like the look if the system, would play McIntosh for Wallace, and Yule in for Swankie, I know Yule has his flaws, but the plays on the front foot,head up, is mobile, puts himself about

I agree, really like Yule, if Swankie isn’t playing in the 10 where McKenna or McIntosh is then it should be Yule instead of him.

Regarding Swankie he gets a whole load of stick, some deserved but he’s chipped in with goals and had moments that have helped us win games. If he wasn’t Swankie, from Arbroath and there was no fee involved I think most people would think he’s done ok.

Loads of games coming up now so can see a lot of different guys coming in and getting chances.

yesterday was a perfect example of how we are vulnerable with players out  , forgot about Daryll meggat . is he any closer to fitness? . This is what happens when you have too many players out on loan for me . could we possibly have had adam martin back or does the loan deals not allow this  ? TBH i have no idea !...

swankie was brought into partner doris. that is a fact.with doris being out for the season and swankie playing in positions that we all know thats his prefers position is the back up to a striker but yesterday mckenna and wallace please give me a break both long tearm deals

Think Wallace will turn out to be a good signing ain't happening for him just now but think/hope he will come good. McKenna has done ok certainly hasn't been terrible must admit though Mcintosh was coming onto a good game before he got dropped so don't know the reason he got dropped. DC appears to be going for a more solid looking team lately at the expense of some flair up front but we're in a good position just now hope we can keep it going. 1-0 win against Stranraer  will do fine.:)

Gayfield is a class stadium but its 10 yards from the sea,the wind goes straight up the length of the pitch and it was dry and bumpy on Saturday.It was never going to be a classic.We had one outfield player on the bench and that has to be a major concern. One of our injured loans was a center half but McKeown on the bench.We lost young Smith to a very harsh red card, had Fleming playing on one leg for an hour and still never made a change.I,d give every one of our players top marks for getting a draw against one of our main challengers for the playoffs under these circumstances. All our own youngsters out on loan looks pretty foolish now.

swankie was brought into partner doris. that is a fact.with doris being out for the season and swankie playing in positions that we all know thats his prefers position is the back up to a striker but yesterday mckenna and wallace please give me a break both long tearm deals

Jesus. Wallace was absolutely pish yesterday but he’s been good since he’s signed and has a very similar if not better career/record as Steven Doris. McKenna was one of our better players in amongst a load of shite yesterday too. Didn’t do much wrong at all. If I had any criticism of him so far it would be the fact he seems to be a bit safe.

Everyone was on the whole absolute shite yesterday by their usual standards but when that happens it gives everyone a chance to greet about guys they aren’t keen on.

Was honestly one of the worst games I’ve ever seen at any level probably but it was the 7th one in 2018 and our record is won 4 drew 3 from the 7 of them. Things are on the whole pretty good.

37 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Unfortunately we decided that playing hoof ball against the wind and 10 men was the way to go instead of making the extra man count and stretching the play. Made it easy for Alloa to see it out.

We did get into some decent positions up front but a poor final ball let us down Linn also put in a great cross that was begging to be put away plus the chance at the end, sure it wasn't great at times but there are gonna be games like this in a league campaign. Certainly wasn't the worst game I've ever seen but i'm quite ancient so seen a few more games way worse than yesterday.

Archived