Subtitles

Ludo*1

Do you utilise the subtitle option?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bit of a weird one. Subtitles used to be something that put me off watching something that was already in English. Yet, now, in the age of DVD... and now Netflix and various other online media, subtitles have became a must for me. It actually puts me off if I've not got subtitles. There is an exception to this, however, I don't like the colour of the terrestrial TV subtitles therefore, that gets switched off but Netflix or a DVD - Subtitles on. I'm not deaf - I just have a preference for them and bizarrely so does my missus and mates which came as a shock to me.

So, do you use subtitles or not?

Mrs Shotgun and I started using subtitles while watching The Wire because we flat out couldn't follow the accents. After that, we found we quite liked having them on because they're usually a second or so behind the audio, which means if you do miss something a character says, you can just glance at the text without interrupting the flow of the programme to rewind or ask each other "What did he just say?" Like you, I'm always a bit disappointed when subtitles aren't an option.

We're old, mind.

Bit of a weird one. Subtitles used to be something that put me off watching something that was already in English. Yet, now, in the age of DVD... and now Netflix and various other online media, subtitles have became a must for me. It actually puts me off if I've not got subtitles. There is an exception to this, however, I don't like the colour of the terrestrial TV subtitles therefore, that gets switched off but Netflix or a DVD - Subtitles on. I'm not deaf - I just have a preference for them and bizarrely so does my missus and mates which came as a shock to me.
So, do you use subtitles or not?
subtitles became a must for me after having kids. people forget about kids ruining your life in this way!

Modern day TVs can have pretty ropey sound too and programmes are not (it seems to me) made to be a good listen on all TVs. My wife is deaf so we've gone for the subtitle option rather than having the TV full blast, though my preferred option is to also add in a pair of nice headphones if watching  something lengthy alone. I record a fair bit off TCM which usually doesn't have subtitles and it's a bit annoying.

Modern flat screen TV's, in general, have piss poor speakers, usually mounted facing the wall behind the TV, so we found we were having to turn up certain programmes ridiculously loud to be able to hear.  Add into this the annoying thing that programme makers do of making the music and background noise deafeningly loud and the sound for the actors speaking very quiet, meant that we resorted to sticking the subtitles on.

And we've got kids, so once they're in bed the TV can't be too loud or you run the risk of waking the little shites up.

Since we got a sound bar the problem of the speakers facing the wrong way has been resolved, but I'm now that used to having them on that I still do it. 

I always have the subtitles on, even when I am in the house on my own.  Just used to doing it as a result of having noisy children, or keeping the volume down at night when they are in bed.  

I have the subtitles on for some American accents, generally don't bother with UK accents. Used to hate that Sky's subtitles were always a little bit ahead so you'd be watching a horror him and it would say "SHE SCREAMS" three seconds before the psychopath jumps out. Seem a bit better now.

I am quite shocked by the number that use them based on this thread. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Only if it's a foreign language. They would annoy me if it was just repeating what's been said by someone in English.

Basically this. Don’t mind them for foreign films, but I do feel it takes away from the viewing experience slightly as you miss a lot of the visual aspects when reading the words. Amazed that people watch stuff in English with them on, although the kids reasoning is fair enough.

This is an absolute revelation that people would do this for English language programmes.

I'm going to try it.

Conversely i stick a wee bit of black card in front of the TV when watching BBC Alba as the English subtitles annoy me. If I want to watch one of the million channels in English i will.

Don’t know how to get them on my new tv which has lead to me realising I’m a subtitles guy now. Has definitely only happened in the last year or so. Not sure why but I like having them on.

I find them irritating. And mainly because if they are there I have to read them. When the subtitle what a Scottish person is saying I read them even though I know I'll be able to understand what they are saying.

No issue with subtitled foreign films though. I've yet to watch a foreign subtitled film I haven't enjoyed actually.

The exceptionally good Gomorra (season 3) had a dapper old Neopolitan Don called Ruggiero (RIP Ruggy - gets his head pulped on his marble dining table). Seeing his name flash up in the subtitles reminded me of P&B's @Rugster and it has really scrambled my brain trying to disassociate the two Ruggys. 

Some American shows are particularly bad for the actors conversing entirely in cryptic mutters until something ostensibly dramatic happens, upon when the background music kicks in at a level akin to being in the front row at a Manowar gig.

I'll have the subtitles on for anything that involves Kiefer Sutherland who is an egregious example of this .

Archived