Everyday Tasks You're Terrible At

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I generally do all the washing up of dishes in our house. Not because she does all the cooking (I usually do that too), but because she suffers from being a bone-idle lazy cow. 

Anyway, I'm not sure how it happens but when I'm finished everywhere within a metre of the sink is soaked with soapy water, I try to stop this but I think I'm just very thorough. 

Surely you aren't one of the fool who absurdly does the washing up with a basin or sink full of water?

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Surely you aren't one of the fool who absurdly does the washing up with a basin or sink full of water?

I rarely do more than rinse cups or bowls(Dishwasher does the majority of it) but I seem to make an inordinate amount of mess in the process. Sink is empty but the wall behind the taps and either side of the sink wind up soaked every time no matter how much or little there is coming out the taps.

4 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

ironing shirts, absolutely dreadful at it. infuriating 

christ aye, same.

Got a steam cleaner now though, which is an absolute godsend, gets everything presentable enough imo.

Also 2nd the shout for frying eggs without breaking the yolk open; I've managed to get it to about 50/50 whether I break the yolk or not, which believe it or not is a vast improvement, used to be closer to 90/10. Which, as someone who likes runny yolk, is annoying.

I  somehow managed to break a light fixture changing a light bulb a few years back which my partner has never let me live down, so I guess that can go in. :(

Changing bedding is something that can alternately cause me to go mental like the old skit from Chewin' the Fat where I just cannot seem to get the quilt cover on right, or it goes absolutely flawlessly within a matter of minutes. Just never got the knack for it.

2 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

christ aye, same.

Got a steam cleaner now though, which is an absolute godsend, gets everything presentable enough imo.

Also 2nd the shout for frying eggs without breaking the yolk open; I've managed to get it to about 50/50 whether I break the yolk or not, which believe it or not is a vast improvement, used to be closer to 90/10. Which, as someone who likes runny yolk, is annoying.

I  somehow managed to break a light fixture changing a light bulb a few years back which my partner has never let me live down, so I guess that can go in. :(

Changing bedding is something that can alternately cause me to go mental like the old skit from Chewin' the Fat where I just cannot seem to get the quilt cover on right, or it goes absolutely flawlessly within a matter of minutes. Just never got the knack for it.

successfully changed the bedding for teh first time on my own just last week but it was in a rather unorthodox way.

My folks were fairly absent so growing up if I wanted fed, stuff ironed, sewed, clothes repaired, room painted etc I had to do it myself. Polar opposite to my old man. Would live on cans of lager, porridge oats and cold milk if nobody was around to cook for him.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Honestly amazed that their are grown adults openly admitting they can't iron a shirt. You lot will be the first to die when we need to start culling the human race.

I don't iron at all. Last time I did so must have been circa 2004.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Honestly amazed that their are grown adults openly admitting they can't iron a shirt. You lot will be the first to die when we need to start culling the human race.

Yes, come the zombie apocalypse, those of us with wrinkly dress shirts will be the first to go.

I have a theory that shirts were invented by a professional ironer who wanted to make sure they had a job for life.

39 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

The only time I can reliably open an egg without breaking the yolk is when I'm planning to scramble them. The whole bowl comes out perfect then.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

it's swings and roundabouts though; in my line of work I see a crazy amount of people who are earning £100k+ (self-employed, doctors and various professionals) who struggle to string a sentence together in their correspondence without making glaring, basic mistakes. edit: should add that *sometimes* it's pretty clearly due to having English as a second language, which I'd say is fair enough, but not always.

I'd genuinely love to know exactly how and why there are certain tasks which I can perform better than average, and certain tasks which I'm worse at than the average - for example I'm absolutely fine with reverse parking the car, can do it with my big estate even into tight spaces (fnarr) and I'm great at getting the mental picture in my head for how to pivot it into the space, and yet I'm shite at judging parking it going nose in, to the extent that I'd say I've hit the kerb more often going nose in over the years (including while learning to drive) than I have when reversing.

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I assume you haven't worn a dress shirt in the last 14 years?

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Yes, come the zombie apocalypse, those of us with wrinkly dress shirts will be the first to go.

I have a theory that shirts were invented by a professional ironer who wanted to make sure they had a job for life.

We will need strong humans who won't be dissuaded by the simplest of tasks. I'm afraid if you can't iron your shirt you'll be zombie bait.

3 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

it's swings and roundabouts though; in my line of work I see a crazy amount of people who are earning £100k+ (self-employed, doctors and various professionals) who struggle to string a sentence together in their correspondence without making glaring mistakes. edit: should add that *sometimes* it's pretty clearly due to having English as a second language, which I'd say is fair enough, but not always.

I'd genuinely love to know exactly how and why there are certain tasks which I can perform better than average, and certain tasks which I'm worse at than the average - for example I'm absolutely fine with reverse parking the car, can do it with my big estate even into tight spaces (fnarr) and yet I'm shite at judging parking it going nose in, to the extent that I'd say I've hit the kerb more often going nose in over the years (including while learning to drive) than I have when reversing.

On your first paragraph, is that not down to laziness more than actually being unable to construct a sentence?  There's bosses in my work where you can tell they're just pissed off that they need to correspond at all rather than them being genuinely unable to write properly.

On your second paragraph, is that not just down to a lack of practice?

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Incredible. I absolutely despise ironing as it’s the most soul crushing part of my week, but it’s fairly straightforward.

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I’m sure I remember you saying you just re-wear the same polo shirt every day at your work, which means you can avoid ironing, but are probably considered the manky, smelly b*****d of the office. I’d rather just do some ironing.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

We will need strong humans who won't be dissuaded by the simplest of tasks. I'm afraid if you can't iron your shirt you'll be zombie bait.

If my survival depends upon ironing a shirt while a zombie looks over my shoulder to make sure I'm doing it right then I'll be happy for them just to eat me and be done with it.

Archived