Everyday Tasks You're Terrible At

What's the one everyday thing that you can't seem to master?

For me it's buttering toast. Doesn't matter if it's butter or Flora stuff, toastie, plain or wholegrain bread, I just can't do it. Always end up with rips in the bread, and lumps of butter randomly scattered. 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having deja vu (again, ha), certain this thread's been posted before with an almost identical original post?

Anyway - never had any issues buttering toast tbh because the butter just kinda melts into it while its still warm, historically it's buttering cold bread for sandwiches etc. that I've ended up making a cack-handed mess of things, oftentimes ripping holes through the bread or getting a really uneven spread.

Solved this by accident when I started getting the 'lighter' butters with low fat and the like, which seem to spread far, *far* easier than the full fat stuff even when its been kept really cold in a fridge for ages.

12 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

What's the one everyday thing that you can't seem to master?

For me it's buttering toast. Doesn't matter if it's butter or Flora stuff, toastie, plain or wholegrain bread, I just can't do it. Always end up with rips in the bread, and lumps of butter randomly scattered. 

If you’re ripping toast whilst buttering, try a knife instead of an axe

Just now, Bobby Skidmarks said:

If you keep your butter in the fridge like a psychopath then buttering bread and toast will always be an issue. 

It's ok Bobby, I'm not one of those weird fridge butter people. It lives beside the toaster. I'm just a total diddy who butters far too aggressively

4 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm having deja vu (again, ha), certain this thread's been posted before with an almost identical original post?

Anyway - never had any issues buttering toast tbh because the butter just kinda melts into it while its still warm, historically it's buttering cold bread for sandwiches etc. that I've ended up making a cack-handed mess of things, oftentimes ripping holes through the bread or getting a really uneven spread.

Solved this by accident when I started getting the 'lighter' butters with low fat and the like, which seem to spread far, *far* easier than the full fat stuff even when its been kept really cold in a fridge for ages.

:lol: Now you've given me the fear that I've already started this thread before.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If it's any consolation I've definitely seen this conversation before. Sweet Pete will be along to post a picture of Lurpak spreadable to Skidmarks any minute now.

I probably posted this.

giphy.webp

12 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

If you keep your butter in the fridge like a psychopath then buttering bread and toast will always be an issue. 

it'll go off a lot quicker though, surely? edit: although thinking on it (and going back to my impressive C in Higher Biology here) the salt would maybe help keep it preserved, I suppose.

Hm.

Tempted to bring up how I store ketchup here, but I'm not sure I want to see this thread burn.

38 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It's ok Bobby, I'm not one of those weird fridge butter people. It lives beside the toaster. I'm just a total diddy who butters far too aggressively

:lol: Now you've given me the fear that I've already started this thread before.

Keep it in the fridge ffs and don't listen to him.

Can't cook a nice well done steak. By the time its cooked through, I've tore the arse out the outside. Same with pork chops. I'm a shite cook in general, proven by the fact I made french toast taste like fried bread a few days ago.  Cooking recipes read like Arabic to me. On the plus side, I can butter toast perfectly, but I'm a  spreadable lurpack man. Real butter isn't worth the hassle.

Archived