Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - Scottish Cup quarter-final, 04/03/2018

Elixir

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done, Well. Getting a bit peed off with folk saying that the goal that was scored under the hand of the goalie should have stood., though. That’s as much a goal as it is when an attacker punches the ball into the net. Both against the Laws Of The Game. 

Courtesy of Capt Oats in the 'Well thread - too entertaining not to share in here (and maybe a lesson why 16 year-olds, no matter how good, should have their games chosen carefully)....

Message for Elixir. Poor turnout by Hearts fans today, at least 20/30 empty seats in the bottom corner of the lower tier. I trust that you were indeed there with your “guaranteed brief”?

51 minutes ago, Swello said:

Courtesy of Capt Oats in the 'Well thread - too entertaining not to share in here (and maybe a lesson why 16 year-olds, no matter how good, should have their games chosen carefully)....

I'm guessing the referee missed that?

I’ve watched a lot of football in Scotland at many different grounds over the years, and when I see Andrew Dallas as the referee I expect an horrendously incompetent performance, as I’m sure every one does. 

However, even as an ex-goalkeeper he made the correct decision today on that first goal. McLaughlin had control of the ball and was in the act of rolling it towards his body when the Motherwell player hit it. 

So for the first time in my life I can actually give the fud a bit of credit. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

How likely will it be that our semi is on the Saturday and when will that be decided?

I think that's the most likely.  Last 2 years the Old Firm semi has been on the Sunday.  I guess its at the whim of Sky Sports though.

18 hours ago, ropy said:

How likely will it be that our semi is on the Saturday and when will that be decided?

I'd say about 99% certain.  As in previous years, the Police will push for a Sunday lunchtime kick-off for Celtic v Rangers.

We'll be on the Saturday with a 12:30 or 12:45 kick-off. 

I know it won't happen, but would prefer our Semi to played at Tynecastle or Easter Road.  A 20,000 capacity stadium will be more than enough, IMO, to meet the demands of Motherwell v Kilmarnock or Motherwell v Aberdeen.

I'd say about 99% certain.  As in previous years, the Police will push for a Sunday lunchtime kick-off for Celtic v Rangers.
I know it won't happen, but would prefer our Semi to played at Tynecastle or Easter Road.  A 20,000 capacity stadium will be more than enough, IMO, to meet the demands of Motherwell v Kilmarnock or Motherwell v Aberdeen.

12.15 at hampden [emoji849]

21 hours ago, Desp said:

I'm glad it's at Hampden, though the fact I love the place probably means I'm a bit biased though. I think it has that mystical aura about it, knowing you are in the latter stages of a Cup competition and tangible success is perhaps within touching distance and also just because of the history of the place. It is of course the scene of Motherwell FC's greatest ever day in my lifetime. Even the League Cup game there against Queen's Park at the beginning of the season was that bit more enjoyable for me because it was at Hampden.

Apart from that though, Hampden is where semi finals should be played as it's the National Stadium and completely neutral and while I can completely understand the argument that moving it to Easter Road or Tynecastle if it ends up being Aberdeen, I think that would give Aberdeen more of an advantage on the day with the crowd differences in the more compact venue. I loved the 2005 semi v Hearts but it was as good as a home game for them, which ultimately made us winning all the sweeter.

Others may disagree, but for me a trip to Hampden is something special and something to be savoured, especially when you don't get there very often.

I wonder which end we'll get this time? I suspect as neither of the Old Firm are involved then geography and common sense will determine this so if it's Aberdeen and we are the more westernmost club we will get the West stand whereas if it's Killie it will be the other way around.

59 minutes ago, MJC said:

I wonder which end we'll get this time? I suspect as neither of the Old Firm are involved then geography and common sense will determine this so if it's Aberdeen and we are the more westernmost club we will get the West stand whereas if it's Killie it will be the other way around.

I assume if it's Aberdeen in the Semi, then they'll get the full North Stand, half of the South, and whatever they want of the East.  We'll get half of the South and the wee corner of the West.

If it's Motherwell v Killie, I assume we'll get half of the North Stand and half of the South Stand each.  Similar to what happened when there was about 11,500 at the Motherwell v St. Johnstone 2011 Scottish Cup Semi.

There are much more pub options at the Mount Florida end through Shawlands down through Battlefield area but it's murder getting there especially from Motherwell as opposed to coming off the motorway at Polmadie/Rutherglen and that's you there when in the east stand. 

The West end is of course our 91 end though so maybe that's our 'lucky end'.

Archived