Liam Miller

15 hours ago, sjc said:

Cheers mate. Seems very quick from being diagnosed in November. I wonder if it was secondary i.e: spread from elsewhere in the body?

I don't understand this reply......

Aye, it certainly seemed rather sudden.  I haven't heard anything about it spreading from another part of the body but part of me wonders if he was diagnosed earlier in the year and only chose to go public in November. 

I see on your other post you've had health issues of your own.  Speedy recovery mate.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Im no doctor but If you are suffering from Nausea I would highly recommend putting happyaccie on ignore. I wish you all the best however.

I'm no doctor either but the capability to euthanise all OF fans to rid the world of the bigoted scum would be a delightful power to have.

2 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Not the thread for this tbh.

Correct I apologise I wasn't even aware of which thread it was but someone else thought it appropriate to mention me in the thread to which I was responding, I shall be more observant to which thread I'm replying in, in the future.

3 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Aye, it certainly seemed rather sudden.  I haven't heard anything about it spreading from another part of the body but part of me wonders if he was diagnosed earlier in the year and only chose to go public in November. 

I see on your other post you've had health issues of your own.  Speedy recovery mate.

Dependent on which type of cancer and how advanced it is can result on the treatment given having little effect. I have lost many friends over the years to this horrendous illness, many having very short periods from the initial diagnosis till they pass away.

Pancreatic cancer is a death sentence for almost all of those diagnosed. Liam Miller was unfortunate enough to have been diagnosed with this form of cancer, one that has one of the poorest prognoses. It was already extraordinarily unfortunate for him to be diagnosed with a cancer that is rare in under-40s. He would have been half the median age of those diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. For it to hit a healthy sportsman, in his mid-thirties, must have compounded the crushing news when he and his family found out about the diagnosis.

The death of Lawrie Reilly, the last of The Famous Five, was a difficult reality to grasp; the proximity of Miller’s playing career and diagnosis has rendered his death surreal. It may be insignificant to Miller losing his life, but it may be worth remembering that he has enjoyed great opportunities in his career; unlike Hibernian youth player David Paul, who died at the age of 18 before he was afforded many of the same opportunities. Nevertheless, he wasn't given any time to have a life after his career.

I met Liam Miller on what turned out to be his last game for the club. The penultimate member of the Famous Five, Eddie Turnbull, had died a month beforehand and the following home game was dubbed a 'memorial match'. It was the last game of the season and Hibs were playing Aberdeen, two teams that Turnbull had managed. I only went to the game to help Hibs implement a memorial display.

It was a rather disappointing and underwhelming end to the season, not least because of the turnout for a match in which supporters were invited to 'celebrate the life of Eddie Turnbull'. I was in the West Stand with some of Turnbull's Tornadoes as they reminisced about their careers under the legendary forward & manager. Amidst the conversations, I had a short exchange of words with Liam Miller – he knew about what was planned and wanted to praise the display. He went on to play the entire game in a lacklustre 1-3 defeat, with Derek Riordan scoring a consolation near the end of the game. It was a sad day all around; Colin Calderwood was still the Hibs manager, several players were rumoured to be playing their last games for the club and Easter Road witnessed one of the poorest attacking displays in living memory. The match was an unsavoury  interlude between the remembrance of Eddie Turnbull and was a sobering reminder that the quality of Turnbull's teams had long been lost to history. I couldn't help but feel disillusioned by the club by that point: the turnout was poor, the memorial was almost entirely put together by volunteers (with no assistance from the club) and the team offered no tribute of their own on the pitch. It was pathetic looking back – not the irksome instances, but the fact that I was more concerned about the occasion than enjoying the game as a supporter; not to mention a blasé reaction to a Hibs player taking time out before the game for a handful of volunteers.

At the time, it was an insignificant exchange of pleasantries on a melancholic occasion, yet it has become my most profound memory of that day. It may not be of any value or significance to others, just like my conversation with him at the time; the part of the day that I now lament is that I never took in the only moment I would happen to share with Liam Miller. He complimented the effort into the memorial and I jovially implied that a fitting tribute would be three points. It was the only time I would ever speak to him and I was more concerned with the team putting on a decent display for someone that wouldn't be around to see it!

Reilly & Turnbull were octogenarians when they died. Miller had barely been out of the game for a year before his diagnosis and died of a form of cancer that statistically came for him 25 years early – not that there is ever a time to suffer from such a destructive disease. 

He was presumably enjoying time with his family for the longest undisturbed period in his entire career. His diagnosis was an indescribably cruel way to bring this to an end and to plunge his family into the grief that will have undoubtedly wounded them after such a shocking illness took hold within a matter of weeks. I hope his family can recover from the abrupt and uncompromising way that he was taken from them.

Liam Miller was a pivotal part of the side that kept pace with Celtc & Rangers at the top of the league in 2009-10 and was the omnipresent force in our attacking play. Miller was also an ever-present player the following season, in which Hibs went from Europa League Qualifiers to languishing on the edge of relegation.

He offered his services to John Hughes and arrived as a coup for the club. Miller made the majority of his senior appearances at Hibernian, enjoying his best spell in the first half of the 2009-10 season. Although he scored against Hearts, Celtic & Rangers, my favourite goal was on the first day of our 2010-11 season: he scored a deft winner against Motherwell at Fir Park and dived into the Hibs crowd. (This celebration encapsulated his enthusiasm for the game; Miller was one of the few players to show any degree of drive and passion during that season.)

Although his form fluctuated once Hibs disintegrated in 2010, he turned back the clock to provide a vintage display when we were in dire need of a positive performance. On 10 November 2010, Hibs were bottom of the league with just eight points out of a possible thirty-three; Hughes had been sacked and replaced with the contemptible Colin Calderwood. Just two-hundred hardy Hibbies braved the trip to watch Hibs get soundly beaten by a Rangers side that would go on to win their 54th (and final) league title. With a forward line of Valdas Trakys (9 apps 0 goals), the Hibs supporters must have been bracing themselves for some sort of masochistic pleasure – you didn't need to read the game as well as Liam Miller to know that a painful humiliation was in the offing. Six-minutes into the game, Miller turned towards goal and nutmegged Lee McCulloch before firing in a shot from  30-40 yards that squiggled from the far post towards the centre of the goal; Allan MacGregor went wildly wide of Miller's strike, prematurely predicting the ball's flight path. Just over ten minutes later, Miller feinted the ball through to John Rankin; a neat shimmy & strike into McGregor's top-left corner put Hibs 2-0 up within twenty minutes, this time leaving the keeper rooted to the centre of the goal. Francis Dickoh made it 3-0 from a corner to round off a resounding display from the Hibs midfield. It was Rangers' first defeat at Ibrox since 4 March 2009 – and Miller was at the heart of it all. Although I loved his passion against Motherwell, where he got our season off to a promising (albeit misleading) start, his performance against Rangers reminded everyone why we were fortunate to have a player of his ability at the club. Miller was a maestro in midfield, the only player at the time that was capable of carrying the ball by himself from our defence to our forwards and the only playmaker at the time that could bring himself into the game as the game bypassed the rest of the midfield.

Hibs' number 33 played 33 league games in 2009-10 & in 2010-11, contributing a combined total of 7 goals and 8 assists.

5 hours ago, Allan d’Or said:

Pancreatic cancer is a death sentence for almost all of those diagnosed. Liam Miller was unfortunate enough to have been diagnosed with this form of cancer, one that has one of the poorest prognoses. It was already extraordinarily unfortunate for him to be diagnosed with a cancer that is rare in under-40s. He would have been half the median age of those diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. For it to hit a healthy sportsman, in his mid-thirties, must have compounded the crushing news when he and his family found out about the diagnosis.

The death of Lawrie Reilly, the last of The Famous Five, was a difficult reality to grasp; the proximity of Miller’s playing career and diagnosis has rendered his death surreal. It may be insignificant to Miller losing his life, but it may be worth remembering that he has enjoyed great opportunities in his career; unlike Hibernian youth player David Paul, who died at the age of 18 before he was afforded many of the same opportunities. Nevertheless, he wasn't given any time to have a life after his career.

I met Liam Miller on what turned out to be his last game for the club. The penultimate member of the Famous Five, Eddie Turnbull, had died a month beforehand and the following home game was dubbed a 'memorial match'. It was the last game of the season and Hibs were playing Aberdeen, two teams that Turnbull had managed. I only went to the game to help Hibs implement a memorial display.

It was a rather disappointing and underwhelming end to the season, not least because of the turnout for a match in which supporters were invited to 'celebrate the life of Eddie Turnbull'. I was in the West Stand with some of Turnbull's Tornadoes as they reminisced about their careers under the legendary forward & manager. Amidst the conversations, I had a short exchange of words with Liam Miller – he knew about what was planned and wanted to praise the display. He went on to play the entire game in a lacklustre 1-3 defeat, with Derek Riordan scoring a consolation near the end of the game. It was a sad day all around; Colin Calderwood was still the Hibs manager, several players were rumoured to be playing their last games for the club and Easter Road witnessed one of the poorest attacking displays in living memory. The match was an unsavoury  interlude between the remembrance of Eddie Turnbull and was a sobering reminder that the quality of Turnbull's teams had long been lost to history. I couldn't help but feel disillusioned by the club by that point: the turnout was poor, the memorial was almost entirely put together by volunteers (with no assistance from the club) and the team offered no tribute of their own on the pitch. It was pathetic looking back – not the irksome instances, but the fact that I was more concerned about the occasion than enjoying the game as a supporter; not to mention a blasé reaction to a Hibs player taking time out before the game for a handful of volunteers.

At the time, it was an insignificant exchange of pleasantries on a melancholic occasion, yet it has become my most profound memory of that day. It may not be of any value or significance to others, just like my conversation with him at the time; the part of the day that I now lament is that I never took in the only moment I would happen to share with Liam Miller. He complimented the effort into the memorial and I jovially implied that a fitting tribute would be three points. It was the only time I would ever speak to him and I was more concerned with the team putting on a decent display for someone that wouldn't be around to see it!

Reilly & Turnbull were octogenarians when they died. Miller had barely been out of the game for a year before his diagnosis and died of a form of cancer that statistically came for him 25 years early – not that there is ever a time to suffer from such a destructive disease. 

He was presumably enjoying time with his family for the longest undisturbed period in his entire career. His diagnosis was an indescribably cruel way to bring this to an end and to plunge his family into the grief that will have undoubtedly wounded them after such a shocking illness took hold within a matter of weeks. I hope his family can recover from the abrupt and uncompromising way that he was taken from them.

Liam Miller was a pivotal part of the side that kept pace with Celtc & Rangers at the top of the league in 2009-10 and was the omnipresent force in our attacking play. Miller was also an ever-present player the following season, in which Hibs went from Europa League Qualifiers to languishing on the edge of relegation.

He offered his services to John Hughes and arrived as a coup for the club. Miller made the majority of his senior appearances at Hibernian, enjoying his best spell in the first half of the 2009-10 season. Although he scored against Hearts, Celtic & Rangers, my favourite goal was on the first day of our 2010-11 season: he scored a deft winner against Motherwell at Fir Park and dived into the Hibs crowd. (This celebration encapsulated his enthusiasm for the game; Miller was one of the few players to show any degree of drive and passion during that season.)

Although his form fluctuated once Hibs disintegrated in 2010, he turned back the clock to provide a vintage display when we were in dire need of a positive performance. On 10 November 2010, Hibs were bottom of the league with just eight points out of a possible thirty-three; Hughes had been sacked and replaced with the contemptible Colin Calderwood. Just two-hundred hardy Hibbies braved the trip to watch Hibs get soundly beaten by a Rangers side that would go on to win their 54th (and final) league title. With a forward line of Valdas Trakys (9 apps 0 goals), the Hibs supporters must have been bracing themselves for some sort of masochistic pleasure – you didn't need to read the game as well as Liam Miller to know that a painful humiliation was in the offing. Six-minutes into the game, Miller turned towards goal and nutmegged Lee McCulloch before firing in a shot from  30-40 yards that squiggled from the far post towards the centre of the goal; Allan MacGregor went wildly wide of Miller's strike, prematurely predicting the ball's flight path. Just over ten minutes later, Miller feinted the ball through to John Rankin; a neat shimmy & strike into McGregor's top-left corner put Hibs 2-0 up within twenty minutes, this time leaving the keeper rooted to the centre of the goal. Francis Dickoh made it 3-0 from a corner to round off a resounding display from the Hibs midfield. It was Rangers' first defeat at Ibrox since 4 March 2009 – and Miller was at the heart of it all. Although I loved his passion against Motherwell, where he got our season off to a promising (albeit misleading) start, his performance against Rangers reminded everyone why we were fortunate to have a player of his ability at the club. Miller was a maestro in midfield, the only player at the time that was capable of carrying the ball by himself from our defence to our forwards and the only playmaker at the time that could bring himself into the game as the game bypassed the rest of the midfield.

Hibs' number 33 played 33 league games in 2009-10 & in 2010-11, contributing a combined total of 7 goals and 8 assists.

The statistics can be misleading as they don't allow for the age and general health of the patient. Pancreatic cancer tends to affect older people (60+) many of whom can be frail thus  don't survive the whipple operation to not only remove the tumour but reconstruct the stomach, intestines, bile ducts and pancreas.

Obviously Liam was young and presumably in good general health prior to diagnosis which leads us to think his pancreatic cancer was either secondary or discovered at a very late stage (stage 4).

Really awful news.  It really doesn't seem that long ago that he was breaking through at Celtic.  To have played for the two clubs he loved as a kid - Celtic & Man Utd - must have made him so proud.

To hear he has three young kids who'll now have to grow up without a father is heartbreaking.  As a dad myself, knowing that cancer has robbed Liam of the chance to see his kids grow up is devastating.

Rest in peace, Liam.  I hope with all my heart that your family can find the strength to get through this as best they can.  Cancer really is a b*****d.

Archived