Wasting time/fannying about at work

DA Baracus

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Colleague didn't make a formal complaint as such, but made a big enough song and dance about it that the dept noticed and came asking.

She then took me aside the next day and said "Look, I can SEE that it's hilarious, but I can't just let it slide, so I have to give you a VW"

Ach well.

What do the stickers have written on them? Try this next time.

You psychopathic bully.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What do the stickers have written on them? Try this next time.

You psychopathic bully.

They look like day dots.

In a previous job, my preferred skiving method was to wander about with a clipboard yapping to folk and occasionally writing a random word or two.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Had to google that. My sister writes and sticks labels for tins of beans. I think she's lost it.

Its probably the tin in the beans she's eating poisoning her brain. Food should never be stored in an open tin, especially acid food (tomato sauce is pretty acidic). The acid reacts with the tin lining and oxygen and the tin goes in the food.

tin is not good for you.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Its probably the tin in the beans she's eating poisoning her brain. Food should never be stored in an open tin, especially acid food (tomato sauce is pretty acidic). The acid reacts with the tin lining and oxygen and the tin goes in the food.

tin is not good for you.

It's unopened tins she does it for. If she could find labels small enough she would do it for clothes pegs. I'm probably the opposite extreme, if it smells and looks ok, eat it.

10 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

When I worked in a call centre we played that for months upon end and the work installed chrome onto the computers which saved the game for you no matter what pc you sat at. If you used intranet they could’ve tracked it but not on chrome.

In the early to mid nineties, I served my punishment for sins committed in a previous life by working in a call center. We all played Solitaire between calls until the day a senior manager accidentally took a wrong turn on the way to lunch and found himself in the dungeon where we were housed. He was horrified at the idea of people enjoying themselves on company time so the following day, a supervisor was tasked with removing the games from each PC. Except he didn't know how to so simply deleted the wee icon from the desktop. It took about 6 minutes for order to be restored and life continued on its merry way.

7 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

In the early to mid nineties, I served my punishment for sins committed in a previous life by working in a call center. We all played Solitaire between calls until the day a senior manager accidentally took a wrong turn on the way to lunch and found himself in the dungeon where we were housed. He was horrified at the idea of people enjoying themselves on company time so the following day, a supervisor was tasked with removing the games from each PC. Except he didn't know how to so simply deleted the wee icon from the desktop. It took about 6 minutes for order to be restored and life continued on its merry way.

I worked in a team of ten agency workers hired to sift through data and find god knows what, it was never really explained. Spent 6 weeks playing rally games and a new girl arrived, figured out what we were supposed to be looking for, found it and we were all laid off.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

For unopened tins I usually just look at the best before or use by date on the label

As any sane person would. And ignore it if it's got this century.

I used to browse a shitload of P&B when I worked at Prudential. Then they blocked access. Curiously, our very own @StewartyMac worked in IT there. Not long after being blocked, it was reinstated. Good times.

We have all worked with people who look busy as f**k, but we all know their fannying about

Ah yes, the grab a folder and coffee cup and walk around looking concerned tactic.

Lot of wankers in my old department were experts in that.

I'm putting this here because I remember this game every few years, forget what it was called, and spend ages trying to find it. You have to eject invading aliens from your spaceship by opening airlocks while protecting your crew, and other keywords I'm likely to search for. It's called Evacuation, Future Dave. You're welcome.

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

tin is not good for you.

Fresh tomatoes are actually alkaline believe it or not........you're right about tinned tomatoes being acidic though as the canning process drops their PH level to about 3.5 for some reason.

13 hours ago, Gaz said:

I used to browse a shitload of P&B when I worked at Prudential. Then they blocked access. Curiously, our very own @StewartyMac worked in IT there. Not long after being blocked, it was reinstated. Good times.

When I went back to Pru a couple of years back, it was blocked again. Not tried it in ages though. 

On 09/02/2018 at 15:03, DA Baracus said:

8 hours 5 days a week is clearly far too long to work. I'm convinced future generations will look back in astonishment and horror at this deeply shit practice.

For losers like me who work in admin (no qualifications at the moment) it's exceptionally tedious and boring to be sat on your arse for hours on end. I often get drowsy at my desk and have to stop myself falling asleep.

I do my work (I'm never behind on anything) and help out others in the office all the time, but this still leaves me bored to pieces and with time to kill. Stretching out tasks only goes so far.

Therefore I ask you; what do you do to kill time at work? I do the obvious things of taking a wee 3 minute walk every so often and taking a long shit. I try to avoid going online too often at my desk despite wanting to (you have to be a bit of a tit these days to do that given how easily you can be caught). But I need suggestions to kill time whilst I completely waste my life.

I print off part locations and go a wander around the stores, occasionally grabbing a part as if I'm inspecting it.  We also have "training rooms" which people can go and use if they need quiet time to concentrate on something, that can be quite handy for just fucking off for an hour when you can't be arsed.

On 09/02/2018 at 20:08, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I remember when 2048 was the new thing on here. Finished it once, and the bloody thing just tells you to try for 4096  :angry:

Is there still a P&B agar.io server? My son still plays slither.io, which just looks like Snake to me.

This took a hammering on the old DOS college computers until we discovered how to install Doom. Looks like you can still play it here: https://classicreload.com/qbasic-gorillas.html

0v_v1w.gif

My mind had completely erased this game from memory until this moment.  I cannot thank you enough.  What a fucking game.

1 hour ago, Taxman said:

I generally go on-line quite a lot or spend some time baiting our resident half-wit, it's like taking sweeties aff a wean lol

I also bait to pass time.

present company excluded, we don't have a resident halfwit.

I bait the Master instead.

Archived