Wasting time/fannying about at work

DA Baracus

On 10/02/2018 at 23:19, Gaz said:

I used to browse a shitload of P&B when I worked at Prudential. Then they blocked access. Curiously, our very own @StewartyMac worked in IT there. Not long after being blocked, it was reinstated. Good times.

On 11/02/2018 at 12:20, StewartyMac said:

When I went back to Pru a couple of years back, it was blocked again. Not tried it in ages though. 

As an update, it's still blocked. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/02/2018 at 22:00, placidcasual said:

I'm currently negotiating my notice period having decided to head for pastures new. I've taken fannying about at work to a new level the last couple of days.

Was made redundant by my last place just before Christmas. I decide to spend my last few days "working" from home. Plugged in the work laptop, connected via the VPN, then switched on my home computer and just played Call of Duty while ignoring the occasional email. Every so often they wanted me in a conference call so I just dialled in on Skype and said "Yup" periodically while still playing Call of Duty with the headphones on.

I used to work at an insurance company's call centre in Perth. The money was shit and the managers wankers. The only highlight was looking up insurance policies of famous people (Peter Schmeichel was paying 3300 a year for a BMW M3)

Anyway, I was feeling dodgy one morning and had to go for a shite. It was a bit of an epic. Picture Captain Ahab's battle with Moby Dick, but with a massive shite instead of a whale. Anyway I finally got back to my desk 25 minutes later and was promptly called into the floor Managers office and asked to explain the length of time away from my terminal.

"I was in the toilet"

"FOR HALF AN HOUR?"

"Err, I blocked it"

"And that took half an hour?"

I then spent a humiliating ten minutes describing my battle which involved about 8 flushes and trying to break up a real shoebox special with the toilet brush.

Unsurprisingly I left not long after that.

5 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I used to work at an insurance company's call centre in Perth. The money was shit and the managers wankers. The only highlight was looking up insurance policies of famous people (Peter Schmeichel was paying 3300 a year for a BMW M3)

Anyway, I was feeling dodgy one morning and had to go for a shite. It was a bit of an epic. Picture Captain Ahab's battle with Moby Dick, but with a massive shite instead of a whale. Anyway I finally got back to my desk 25 minutes later and was promptly called into the floor Managers office and asked to explain the length of time away from my terminal.

"I was in the toilet"

"FOR HALF AN HOUR?"

"Err, I blocked it"

"And that took half an hour?"

I then spent a humiliating ten minutes describing my battle which involved about 8 flushes and trying to break up a real shoebox special with the toilet brush.

Unsurprisingly I left not long after that.

Worked as for temp for an insurance company in London for a spell. The access to private information was incredible, blue prints of millionaires security precautions, what valuables they had etc. Didn't know any armed robbers so left them alone. Got phone calls from pensioners complaining about a premium hike and a manager could authorise a reduction. Copied the code and gave it to anyone who seemed nice. They even sent me to a careers day at a public school to represent them, nobody else could face it. Had these posh parents coming up to my trestle table with their eager son, and I'd do the spiel but with a subtext of "Why the f**k would you want to do that? There's a big wide world out there."

8 hours 5 days a week is clearly far too long to work. I'm convinced future generations will look back in astonishment and horror at this deeply shit practice.
For losers like me who work in admin (no qualifications at the moment) it's exceptionally tedious and boring to be sat on your arse for hours on end. I often get drowsy at my desk and have to stop myself falling asleep.
I do my work (I'm never behind on anything) and help out others in the office all the time, but this still leaves me bored to pieces and with time to kill. Stretching out tasks only goes so far.
Therefore I ask you; what do you do to kill time at work? I do the obvious things of taking a wee 3 minute walk every so often and taking a long shit. I try to avoid going online too often at my desk despite wanting to (you have to be a bit of a tit these days to do that given how easily you can be caught). But I need suggestions to kill time whilst I completely waste my life.

My work is a kooshy number at the best of times (building maintenance) so most days if I'm up to date with everything i can squeeze a couple of episodes of a programme in, have a couple hours on champ man 01/02 or the data editor, browse p&b, twitter etc. Or if the gaffers out, catch 40 winks.

• 2 months later...
On 09/02/2018 at 15:21, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Remember this game lads?

https://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

My company certainly does. It nearly went down the tubes a few years back when I sent the link round to half my colleagues and it was played constantly for about a week. 

I never managed to complete it :(

Around 2 years on and off I've been playing this on the train to and from work. Sometimes getting fairly close and often wondering if it's even possible. But tonight was the night....

YASSSSSSS!

Screenshot_20180420-220826.png

Archived