Freemasons “discriminated against”

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Do Canadian masons drive around in tiny cars? Or is that just the Americans?

dead.jpg.519e1973fabb37fdf5e901b729174017.jpg

Ah, the Dead Kennedys.

I've had an auld mason try to sign me up at three different fundraisers now, which is as good a sign as any that they're desperate these days.

0e02d5d425cf58f79698b25f77db98ac.jpg

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Did you get knocked back by them ?
Why are they weirdos ?

I’ll assume these are serious questions.  My answers are:

No; and

People who indulge in childish rituals are weird IMO.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My Dad promised me I would find out the secrets of the brotherhood when I turned 18. A few weeks after it I asked when I could join?

I remember his words well..." Aye, that'll be right."

Are you a real wilson, from shotts ? my faither is a wilson from shotts !!

8 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

A strange one. The initiation pish takes usually less than that and each freemason organisation are usually quite different.
The handshakes people talk about dont happen with all organisations either.

Usually keep to themselves.

Bet you wish you'd kept up your dues since this whole Irn-Bru fiasco. Could have played out very differently with a word in the right ear.

7 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
49 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

To the surprise of none my auld man was a Mason as were most of his friends.  Certainly in Lanarkshire in the 60s and 70s it was very much a Protestant thing.  I never had any interest in joining, much to his chagrin, though I knew a fair few who were both Masons and Orangemen.  I never saw the connection between the two.
When I worked in Covent Garden in the 90's I did hire suites/rooms in Freemasons' Hall for various events.  It's an absolutely brilliant building:

There isn't a connection between the two.

For many there is - certainly in Scotland.  Bearing in mind that Scottish Freemasonry has different roots to its English counterparts and that the recent 'love me do' plea has been from England.

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Do Canadian masons drive around in tiny cars? Or is that just the Americans?

dead.jpg.519e1973fabb37fdf5e901b729174017.jpg

Those are The Shriners. An "Appendent body to Freemasonry"

"Shriners International company describes itself as a fraternity based on fun, fellowship and the Masonic principles of brotherly love (Rrrrawww matron), relief and truth."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What rituals ? And what do you know about these "rituals"?
I take it they happen in every freemason group or you just presuming and don't actually know ?

Not sure if you’re at the wind up or not but I’ll assume you are, answer this post and ignore anything else from you on this subject.

There have been various books, articles and documentaries about freemasonry over a number of years.  I suggest you do a wee bit of research and you’ll see that.  You will also see the rituals described in some detail.

Apparently most of these fraternal lodges are hurting for members these days as the auld codgers are dying off and younger guys are showing less inclination to join. Purely for research purposes, I poked about on some of their web sites and almost without exception the first requirement for membership was a belief in God. Some made allowances for belief in some other mythical being but it was clear that rational thinkers weren't welcome.

My small town has a Rotary Club, which allows males and females but their entire raison d'etre appears to be meeting for lunch when everyone else is at work.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I know lots of freemasons. Now perhaps the ones I know are breaking the rules, but they make no bones about the fact that other freemasons are more important than you or me.  It seems to me to be a very discrimimatory organisation. 

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I know a lot of Freemasons. Some are good guys and some are utter p***ks.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

This. My Papa was a freemason and his lodge raised a lot of money for the Ayrshire Hospice after he passed away there.

I don't know a lot about Freemasonry but from what I do know they are definitely not a shady organisation plotting to take over the world.

PuaHSlO.gif

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I'm no expert but I think there's a big difference.

Their whole mantra is much more honourable. Charity, and community shit.

mRTp6WE.gif

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

To the surprise of none my auld man was a Mason as were most of his friends.  Certainly in Lanarkshire in the 60s and 70s it was very much a Protestant thing.  I never had any interest in joining, much to his chagrin, though I knew a fair few who were both Masons and Orangemen.  I never saw the connection between the two.

When I worked in Covent Garden in the 90's I did hire suites/rooms in Freemasons' Hall for various events.  It's an absolutely brilliant building:

mason.JPG.04e39599b533c9f9b3d461e1a5a4a3d5.JPG

28 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Did you get knocked back by them ?
Why are they weirdos ?

21 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What rituals ? And what do you know about these "rituals"?
I take it they happen in every freemason group or you just presuming and don't actually know ?

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

So you don't know. You just know they are in books and have suggested for me to do some research on them. So what you know is what is said in books happens in every freemasonry.
And I take it you knew that some freemasonry it's men and women and not just men.

So to clarify , you havnt been before and you think they are a bunch of weirdos after doing some research on them in books ?

My guess is you will know about the one in Carnoustie ?

njuW0dR.gif

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

I see what you did their.

However if I was i wouldn't tell ( a Mason never tells or so my new research has told me )

I get you. Wink wink ;)

28 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
30 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
For many there is - certainly in Scotland.  Bearing in mind that Scottish Freemasonry has different roots to its English counterparts and that the recent 'love me do' plea has been from England.

Certainly not in the east side of Scotland. Wouldn't be suprised regarding the west coast mentality .

My great grandad was a Mason and chief of Dundee police during the war.

He ended up interring a few eyeties and got pally with them. Ended up leaving the masons soon after as he didn't like their attitude to Catholics now he had actually met and become friends with some.

Admittedly this was 70 years ago.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

My great grandad was a Mason and chief of Dundee police during the war.

He ended up inferring a few eyeties and got pally with them. Ended up leaving the masons soon after as he didn't I keep their attitude to Catholics now he had actually met and become friends with some.

Admittedly this was 70 years ago.

Did he stand in The Derry?

Archived