Freemasons “discriminated against”

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

That's not exactly how I would interpret the phrase "No religious dogma that it forces its members to accept" but that's just me.

I'm sure it's specific dogma they're referring to. You need a belief in a supreme being, but they're not too fussed about which.

Probably so they have someone to shop you to if you reveal all of the secret milkshakes.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm sure it's specific dogma they're referring to. You need a belief in a supreme being, but they're not too fussed about which.

Probably so they have someone to shop you to if you reveal all of the secret milkshakes.

Always imagined it to be a hierarchy of 

1. Great Architect of the Universe (God)

2. Stone Masons (Politicians-Central Government-Royalty)

3. Carpenters (Major contractors, City boys)

4. Decorators (Police, Judges)

5. Plasterers (Politicians-Local Government)

6. Bricklayers (Small contractors)

7. Electricians (rent boys)

They're probably just looking for an excuse for a piss up though.

Yes, that’s how I’m interpreting it.

It just seems odd (to me) that on every web site I’ve seen, they’ve taken pains to state that they are ‘not’ a religious organisation, that members are forbidden from talking about religion during meetings and yet, you ‘have’ to be religious in order to join and religion is front and center during the ceremonies.

I’ll admit, part of me is tempted to fill out the form, tell them Zuul lives in my fridge and see how far I get.

I've heard that Alcoholics Anonymous requires surrender of will to a higher power too...maybe one of our posters who are further down that route can confirm.

That's another secretive organisation with unspoken rituals that claims to be a positive force in society. Hmm.

13 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've heard that Alcoholics Anonymous requires surrender of will to a higher power too...maybe one of our posters who are further down that route can confirm.

That's another secretive organisation with unspoken rituals that claims to be a positive force in society. Hmm.

My name is Mik and I am an alcho... oops sorry wrong thread.

34 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

See, there's another outfit where the spoken aims don't gel with the practice.

"I've lost my job, my family, my self-respect...I'm at rock bottom. Help me, please help me!"
"Sure thing, that's what we're here for. First though...do you believe in mythical beings?"
"What? No, I'm an alcoholic, not a child."
"Well f**k yez then. Out into the gutter you go."

9 hours ago, Shotgun said:

That's not exactly how I would interpret the phrase "No religious dogma that it forces its members to accept" but that's just me.

What if I'm a solipsist and the only Supreme Being I believe in is me? 

14 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I know a lot about certain ones in Dundee so I know their is a difference between a few
And I didn't say we're or were not weirdos.

Some are , some are not.

Yet quite a few of them I know who are masons are catholics and Dundee United fans. That can't be right ?

I just don't see what's so wrong with them ? Apart from being "weirdos ".

Far worse people out there.

If the head honcho of Barr is a mason I may change my stance on them

This is what happens when you go against the herd G_man.

11 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Yes, that’s how I’m interpreting it.

It just seems odd (to me) that on every web site I’ve seen, they’ve taken pains to state that they are ‘not’ a religious organisation, that members are forbidden from talking about religion during meetings and yet, you ‘have’ to be religious in order to join and religion is front and center during the ceremonies.

I’ll admit, part of me is tempted to fill out the form, tell them Zuul lives in my fridge and see how far I get.

It reminds me very much of our "non-denominational" schooling system, which of course means Church of Scotland Protestant schooling system.

15 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I just don't see what's so wrong with them ? Apart from being "weirdos ".

Far worse people out there.

Maybe when you start the "far worse people than masons out there" thread we can talk about the far worse people. This is a thread about masons, so unsurprisingly people will talk about masons. All I can see is people calling them weirdos, nobody has said they're worse than Hitler so your whataboutery defence doesn't quite wash here.

On 14/02/2018 at 00:31, BigFatTabbyDave said:

These are weirdos.

Why would anyone want to not drink?

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

These are weirdos.

Why would anyone want to not drink?

I think the aim is to meet other drinkers and exchange tips on how to drink without being caught by busybodies.

10 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

You don't have to be religious, just a belief in a Supreme being.  

I honestly didn't realise you could have one without the other and I'm not really sure how that works.

10 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

Fill out your form and send it off.  I would be interested to hear how it goes.  

I assume you know I was being facetious. Even as a joke, I'm not really interested in joining a group that goes out of it's way to include absolutely everyone except people like me.

Which is too bad because over the last couple of day; I've been spending more time than I probably should have, reading up on the organisation. The charity work does sound admirable and even the history and mythology around Masonry is quite intriguing. I know there's a lot of misinformation out there and I suppose the only way to find out the facts from the conspiracy theories would be to go through the membership process to see if I would be accepted. But, I keep coming back to the 'believing in unicorns' bit and that's a stumbling block.

Archived