Freemasons “discriminated against”

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Roman Catholic Church isn't keen on Freemasonry but Freemasons don't have a ban on Roman Catholics.  

It's not something I'd want to get involved in  but you do get cheap drink in Masonic clubs etc.

Indeed, in fact I know a guy who is a devout catholic and is a past master.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite part about the article is where he says the handshakes they do aren't secret and when he gets asked to demonstrate it he refuses.

I don't understand the Masons at all, it makes very little sense to me.  Screams of complete losers who need a feeling of belonging to something/being better than others.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The Roman Catholic Church isn't keen on Freemasonry but Freemasons don't have a ban on Roman Catholics.  

Thats the way I understood it as well, I'm sure a couple of times in history the catholic church has banned its members from joining or at least spoken against their members joining(although I would need to double check that).

Both my grandads were freemasons, from what it sounded like though it was viewed differently wherever you went. Some folk seen it as an extension of the OO (more so in parts of the west), in parts of Edinburgh and Glasgow etc it seems to be allot more about networking between the middle classe professionals, judges, police bankers, accountants etc. In the former mining communities in fife where im from it seemed like they were drinking dens for working class folk. So it was a mixed bag of people from backgrounds that seemed to reflect whichever community they are from. Down south it seems like more of a status thing (even only fools in horses made a joke about it in one episode).

I seriously thought about joining because of the family and the whole charity stuff seemed appealing  and to an extent the fraternal part. The lodge I would have joined I would have known allot of the guys in it anyway. The thing that put me off was the whole believing in god/higher power thing and the time sitting doing these rituals and ceremonies where I think I would be bored out my mind.

Basically they should just bin all that stuff, build social clubs again, let members join and take advantage of cheap booze and run it as a charity association of some sort (obviously that's an ideal world).

I believe in a God i.e. higher power and I'm fairly certain of an after-life.  Therefore, I'd meet that prerequisite to join at least.  Despite this I'm not really a religious person imo but I think Freemasonry is likewise.  Belief in a higher power is essential but they don't come across as a religious organisation overall...

My maternal grandfather was a grand master, my maternal grandmother was a bigoted old arsehole. My grandfather never exhibited the same views as my gran, so I’m not sure that there is a correlation between Freemasonry and links to the OO or indeed anti-catholicism.
In my opinion though, any “secret society” should come under close scrutiny, for no other reason than they are secretive.
I’ve a few friends that are in the lodge & none of them exhibit traits that are outwith normal interaction, I’ve been asked twice to join & told the two guys to f**k off, no interest.
Not really sure what my opinion is, but I guess my rejection says something?

38 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The idea of a group of people all helping each other get promotions etc above better qualified people because they do a funny handshake is utterly embarrassing, and I’d be ashamed to have progressed based on membership rather than ability. 

If that's what you are in it for better off joining your local golf / bowls / book group / knitting circle

22 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

My maternal grandfather was a grand master, my maternal grandmother was a bigoted old arsehole. My grandfather never exhibited the same views as my gran, so I’m not sure that there is a correlation between Freemasonry and links to the OO or indeed anti-catholicism.
In my opinion though, any “secret society” should come under close scrutiny, for no other reason than they are secretive.
I’ve a few friends that are in the lodge & none of them exhibit traits that are outwith normal interaction, I’ve been asked twice to join & told the two guys to f**k off, no interest.
Not really sure what my opinion is, but I guess my rejection says something?

Er, why have you named yourself after a character who was very much in the Masons?!

Er, why have you named yourself after a character who was very much in the Masons?!

I’ll be honest, I ran out of Grangehill aliases & had just watched Filth, so decided upon DI Bruce Robertson, then forgot my password. So now, I’m B.B.
It may be equally pertinent to ask you, why the church should be exempt of taxes, despite being close to the largest turnover in France during your internship, also, and more importantly, why did you trust the canines?

8 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’ll be honest, I ran out of Grangehill aliases & had just watched Filth, so decided upon DI Bruce Robertson, then forgot my password. So now, I’m B.B.
It may be equally pertinent to ask you, why the church should be exempt of taxes, despite being close to the largest turnover in France during your internship, also, and more importantly, why did you trust the canines?

Er, that would be an ecumenical matter. 

Archived