2018 Winter Olympics

The Naitch

Of course, the difference is that the men’s curlers were widely acknowledged as one of the weaker teams in the bonspiel and even finishing 5th place of these 10 represents a surprisingly good olympics. Kind of reminds me of Eve Muirhead’s performance in 2010 in Vancouver, and I expect big things from this team in future olympics.

That shot for 5 by Benny Schwartz was probably the best curling hammer shot I’ve ever seen, but to be honest it was quite poor from the GB guys to let the end develop like that. If you’re up by 1 in end 9 then you should be looking to just play a clean end twice over. The first would be blanked by the opposition and in the second they’d be forced to draw for one to force an extra. You then have the hammer and can just play a third clean end and leave your skip with a hammer draw for the game.

I see Eve either getting gold or bronze. I fancy her to either beat Japan or Korea in whatever medal match they end up in, but the semi final with Sweden could go either way. Eve would love to get revenge on the swedes after the hog line incident.

The men’s semis are Sweden v Switzerland and Canada v USA. I’d love to see Switzerland do it after that great shot by Schwartz, but as long as it’s not Canada I’m happy.
It was a cracking shot tbf, but surely no team at this level should be allowing an end to build up against them in such a way that losing a 5 was even a possibility?

There were quite a few times over the last week where I thought they were too slow to start clearing the opponents stones out when ends were clearly starting to build against them. I'm sure they will learn from the experience and be better prepared for the next time, if indeed they are still the rink that is selected.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming the men's curlers will get the same abuse as Elise Christie given that this is at least the 3rd time this week they have completely shat the bed.
She's bound to be thinking "Thank f**k!"[emoji29]
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I'm assuming the men's curlers will get the same abuse as Elise Christie given that this is at least the 3rd time this week they have completely shat the bed.

They have shat the bed.

They probably won't come out and blame everyone else though.

If they lose, the bronze medal match is at 1105 on Saturday morning, and if they win the gold medal match is at 00.05 on Sunday morning.

Il be on my way to Kirkcaldy on Saturday. Really need them to win today so I can watch them live

Il be on my way to Kirkcaldy on Saturday. Really need them to win today so I can watch them live
I'll be on my way to Hillsborough. Will have to baggsie my mate paying for Wi-Fi on the train.
Similarly, I'll be heading for Meadow Park. Be good if they can win as sitting up with a few beers into the early hours of Sunday sounds like a good plan.

Wednesday - US Men's Ice hockey team lose in the QF to Czech Republic in a shootout, more than one US reporter moans that a shootout is no way to decide a hockey game.

Today - US women's ice hockey team win gold, after a a shootout. No mention of a shootout being no way to decide a game.

Archived