2018 Winter Olympics

The Naitch

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Did anyone read about the American who represented Hungary in the half-pipe(?) and basically doesn’t know how to do anything so just went from side to side.

Does make the qualifying process a bit of a farce as she has just played the system. Surely the other Olympians from that country would be having a word?

I was reading about it last night. 

You've got to admire her for playing the system to say she's competed at the Olympics, her run was actually pretty funny. 

She's also competed apparently done the same kind of thing to compete for Venezuela in the bobsleigh. 

Elise Christie is a fud and her accent makes it worse. Every race at at the last 2 Olympics for her has gone the way it has because of an error or foul on her behalf. The comments about the referee not wanting her to race because she's injured are ridiculous.

Anna Sloane is where the party is at.  

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The more shit athletes the better, as far as I'm concerned. Genuinely the only ski jumper I know the name of is Eddie the Eagle Edwards. Would love to see a bunch of chancers pissing about building snowmen while they are supposed to be competing in the biathlon, or hear people screaming and swearing in terror all the way down the luge track.

Or speed skaters that fall on their arse in nearly every race they compete in.

Oh.....

Her strategy of entering all World Cup events, avoiding falls and posting (low) scores is pretty clever.

Similar to domestic rallying where locals post a safe if unremarkable run and finish above retirements and crashes.

Also tried Skeleton for Venezuela.

Better that than Vanessa Mae-style antics.

Add me to the list of people delighted that Christie fucked it again

I don't even really have anything against her (hair/voice/eyelashes/inevitable BBC fawning aside) and it's always a shame to have such a bad experience with something they're obviously good at and care about a lot but by f**k it's funny

Could somebody tell me how she continues to get funding?
There was a clip on TV, the last couple of days about British Basketball getting zero help, from the funding sources, as it's medal return is zero. Yet it's one of the largest participation sports in the country!
Nearest Ice rink to me is nigh in 20 miles away, never mind if it cedes time to a speed skating club.
I see she now wants to go for it in Beijing, in four years time!

Could somebody tell me how she continues to get funding?
There was a clip on TV, the last couple of days about British Basketball getting zero help, from the funding sources, as it's medal return is zero. Yet it's one of the largest participation sports in the country!
Nearest Ice rink to me is nigh in 20 miles away, never mind if it cedes time to a speed skating club.
I see she now wants to go for it in Beijing, in four years time!

British funding is based around the possibility of getting medals at the Olympics. She was clearly a medal prospect as she had won the World Cup and started all her races among the favourites.

Of course, not every medal contender will produce in the Olympics (see also Radcliffe, Paula), but if they didn't fund in such a way then it's unlikely we'd have achieved near as much success in skeleton, sailing, cycling, etc.

I think it's a reasonable debate to question whether we would be better investing more in mass-participation sports like basketball, but under current rules, unless we ever get to a stage where we could win a medal in basketball, it will get f**k all.

This is sheer laziness from me but when is the ice hockey next on and/or when are the semi finals and/or what games should I watch?

I do like ice hockey but my knowledge of it is limited to 1 clan game, 1 Ayr eagles game and the first two Mighty Ducks films.

The women beat Canada at the final end in the curling to book their spot in the semi finals. Hopefully the men can follow suit later this morning.

Absolutely pleasing to see Canada get dumped out and hopefully their men’s team get papped out as well

There were some huge crashes in the men's ski cross. First time I've realised that they have airbags built into their costume. Fkn hell. At least 3 stretchered away in the heats.

Did Elise Christie sneak into this event as well?

Archived