2018 Winter Olympics

The Naitch

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Also, as the woman single handedly responsible for the birth of the PYDFNPR thread, Claire Balding can gtf as well.

Brechin haven't even lost yet and I'm already half-raging whilst on my way down. K'sake.

I speak for myself here, but unlike the Olympics where the true spotlight is, I couldn't give a toss about the World Championships. I'm with sparky on this one.

Also, as you help highlight, being world champion in over one event and coming away from the Olympics with absolutely nothing is a strong contender for the very definition of 'bottling it'.

An Olympics is the pinnacle, no doubt, but describing the World Championships in any sport as "shitey tournaments that no-one cares about" is ridiculous.

As for your second point, that's exactly the point I was making with the Radcliffe comparison.

An Olympics is the pinnacle, no doubt, but describing the World Championships in any sport as "shitey tournaments that no-one cares about" is ridiculous.

As for your second point, that's exactly the point I was making with the Radcliffe comparison.

To be taken in jest I'm sure, but the general point that she doesn't perform in the big events that half-bothered folk like me only pay attention to still stands.

Anyway, away from Christie who's very suddenly an irrelevance here, it would seem that this is GB's most successful day in Winter Olympic history. Good times.

Maybe but I have worked with 2 coaches who were at those games as athletes and they said he is talking shite. The team take a doctor and all the required medicines so there should have been no need to go out and buy and use any local medicines. Maybe he did though but either way he was stupid.

Women curlers looking like they might follow the men and lose to Korea.
6-4 down in the final end.

Don't know much about Curling but the GB women have played some absolute shite shots on the games I have seen.

Just lost, looks like they may struggle to make semis as they have all the good teams still to play.

Maybe but I have worked with 2 coaches who were at those games as athletes and they said he is talking shite. The team take a doctor and all the required medicines so there should have been no need to go out and buy and use any local medicines. Maybe he did though but either way he was stupid.

Now that's interesting. The case has always fascinated me as it dragged on for a long, long time. David Ryding has been very vocal about the whole case and how it affected him and British skiing as a whole.

45 minutes ago, The-coo-shed said:

Now that's interesting. The case has always fascinated me as it dragged on for a long, long time. David Ryding has been very vocal about the whole case and how it affected him and British skiing as a whole.

Yeah it is an interesting case and I despise cheats so it is an issue I get a bit high and might about :angry: He should have consulted the team doctor or at least a coach before taking anything. At the end of the day though he has to be responsible for what is in his system and he still had the levels in his blood whether is was intentional or not so I think it is right his medal was taken away. We saw the same scenario with the Norwegian Therese Johaug last year and she was banned so it is something that is not taken lightly.

The Ice Hockey is getting exciting. Slovenia beat Slovakia; Russia granny the Yanks 4-0 ; and Canada lose 3-2 to the Czechs. Germany were pretty unlucky yesterday against Sweden as well, the Swedes won 1-0 but hoping we see a dark horse like Slovenia playing for a medal next weekend!

Wouldn't mind seeing the Canadians and the Yanks going out. I usually like to see Canada do well, but I'd like to see their media (and if they are anything compared to tears of the US one after Slovenia beat them, then it should be quite funny)

Well done to the GB folk. Can't really get behind a GB team for a few reasons, but mostly thanks to the BBC cringe fest of coverage; but well done to all the athletes who seem like great people and a brilliant achievement. 

Snowboarding, Skiing cross is magnificent viewing - like a real-life Mario Kart Gold Medal Edition! Biathlon is superb too and unfortunately Dorothea Wierner missed a medal again! 

You see Luge and think f**k that! Then up pops the Skeleton and that makes you think the Luge is as wild as going for a wee bike ride. Mental, but very enjoyable viewing! 

Loving the games, just a shame about the time and missing the cross events which seem to be on at 3 am.

P.S Does anyone know why most of the cross-country/Biathlon is on in the evening?

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Christie seems to be a speed skating Paula Radcliffe. Very good in World Champs, sets WR, a big name, but falls apart at the Olympics.

Hopefully she's not badly injured and can do something in the last event.

Hopefully she does a shite on the ice.

Christie seems to be a speed skating Paula Radcliffe. Very good in World Champs, sets WR, a big name, but falls apart at the Olympics.
Hopefully she's not badly injured and can do something in the last event.
Reports of nowt wrong with her, emanating from Korea.
Stretchered off because all the apples fell on her apparently.

Remarkable story in the Women Super G skiing where Ester Ledecka of Poland - who has been world champion in parallel snowboarding the previous 2yrs - put down a 'harem & scarem' run to win by just 1/100th of a second ahead of the defending champion.

Almost lost it on a few occasions but held on for a totally unexpected victory... the footage of her at the bottom is amazing as she can't comprehend that she's won, thinks some kind of mistake must have been made, and needs the cameraman to tell her its true so she's Olympic champion :lol:.

According to the BBC coverage the defending champion was already giving victory interviews to the press - the best skiers going at the top of the roster to get 'clean snow' then those further down not expected to challenge - unless I've misunderstood them and they were just being metaphorical.

Have not seen much of the mens curling but as noted the women have sadly been posting a lot of bad shots.

3 hours ago, Kejan said:

P.S Does anyone know why most of the cross-country/Biathlon is on in the evening?

It'll be to suit European tv, same reason the skeleton and luge are on at 10pm Korea time. And the snowboarding being on at 3am our time will be to suit American tv.

Archived