2018 Winter Olympics

The Naitch

There's always the BBC red button catch-up service which appears to replay events on a continuous loop with no way to reset it when you switch it on. About what you'd expect from the BBC I suppose.

I'm thinking of recording the lot and watching it after work. Guaranteed I forget and click on this thread and the BBC Sport homepage.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Why no nhl players this year lads? I seem to remember the 2010 men’s final being an absolute classic settled in OT by Sidney Crosby

Various reasons, (North) Americans being weird being the most prominent, but the biggest part is a disagreement between the NHL and IOC about who'd pay for it, as well as the NHL believing there's no (commercial) benefit to their players playing in it because it's in Korea.

19 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Various reasons, (North) Americans being weird being the most prominent, but the biggest part is a disagreement between the NHL and IOC about who'd pay for it, as well as the NHL believing there's no (commercial) benefit to their players playing in it because it's in Korea.

tl;dr = fucking bullshit. NHLPA not happy about it either but did't seem too bothered.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is also a snake, which played a major part in this.  I as well am gutted about the fact that the best players aren't at these olympics

On a different note, you know Scottish media often tries to find the most tenuous of Scottish angles to sports stories?  Well Canadian media is no different!  I'm watching the Luge relay and the Korean team is going so the commentators were talking about how the Koreans had hired a bunch of European coaches and here is a direct quote "They also hired Mark (someone) who is British but he used to live in Canada so there is actually a Canadian angle here".  

The simple answer to why no NHL players were allowed is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No upsets in the ice hockey today, though the Czechs only winning 2-1 against Korea is a bit of a surprise.  Having said that I believe once they were confirmed as hosts Korea made a big effort to improve their national team. Much like Great Britain's handball team when London hosted the Olympics, which didn't really work out for them 

GB eventually beat China 8-7. Important win after their defeat earlier.
Saw most of their defeat during the night, all 4 girls struggled a bit but managed to stay in the game. Thought they got the tactics wrong in the final end.

Big shock of the night was the Korean women beating Canada, who also lost to Sweden to be 0-2.

The GB women have a day off while the men have one game against Sweden.

Scenes in the men's skeleton. It looked like GB's Dom Parsons was going to miss out on bronze by 0.02 of a second, but 5 time world champion Martin Dukurs of Latvia made an arse of his run and slipped to 4th. The South Korean who won gold had a winning margin of 1.63 seconds.

Those 'Olympic Athlete from Russia' jerseys are superb and so are the Russians 5-0 up over Slovenia after their loss to Slovakia.

USA beat Slovakia 2-1 earlier, so we'll end up with all 4 teams on 3 points. 

I'm wrong - it's actually USA 4 Russia 3 Slovakia 3 Slovenia 2 

Lizzy Yarnold in gold medal position after her first run.

Would she become at least our equal best ever Winter Olympian if she wins a medal? I can only think of Torville and Dean winning a gold and a bronze. Has anyone ever won two golds or even one gold and one silver?

9 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Lizzy Yarnold in gold medal position after her first run.

Would she become at least our equal best ever Winter Olympian if she wins a medal? I can only think of Torville and Dean winning a gold and a bronze. Has anyone ever won two golds or even one gold and one silver?

Jeanette Altwegg also won 1 gold & 1 bronze in singles figure skating (1948 & 1952).

That's the most.

EDIT: However...

Figure skater Madge Sayers won Gold in singles and Bronze in pairs at the London Olympics in 1908.

Figure skater Phyllis John son won 1 silver & 1 bronze in figure skating at the London 1908 and Antwerp 1920 Olympics.

25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Should do that with Commonwealth Games.

Bit of curling and speed-skating too.

Conversely, why shouldn't things like badminton and judo be in the winter olympics to balance things out? Only really the outdoorsy sports that need to be in a particular one.

Archived