Freebies for the committee

griffiti on the wall

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the Lok committee for about 7 years. On a matchday, committee would have the following jobs:

Pitch: Groundstaff down first thing. Not all committee AFAIK but at least 4 are. (4)

Gates: club secretary on members gate, 3 additional 'back-benchers' on a rota to do the concessions and 2 adult gates. (4)

Tannoy: Someone had to do it (occasionally me!) (1)

Team lines 1: Someone would have the job of tracking down both line-ups pre game and writing them up for the notice board (1)

Team lines 2: Match secretary to do the official team sheet for referee etc (1)

Teas: At least one committee member doing the teas / coffees etc pre-during and psot game (2)

Pie Hut: It was a committee role, not sure this is still the case (1)

Club shop: Has been and hasn't been a committee role  - presently is (1)

Programme sellers: Two selling (2)

Half-time draw: One seller (1)

Hospitality: Two manning the upstairs bar (2) with club officials also circulating.

Player protection: 2 would need to close the internal gates to secure access to / from pitch ((2))

Accounting: Treasurer on hand to collect the money and deal with away teams if required (1)

Tidying up: a lot of shite gets left behind - various volunteers would help, including a handful of committee (5+)

Kit: Kitman was on committee but not sure this is still the case

Very few people on Lok committee would have an afternoon off for a home game, always something to be done for most. In terms of away games, the ones looking for free entry would usually be the ones on the team bus (which in my day was around a dozen). I don't know how you pick who does and does not get the free tickets when the committee is big and there are few (if any) passengers.  Certainly at Newlandsfield, away committee come in the front door and aren't refused entry without a ticket. Only once were the Lok committee segregrated into 1st/2nd class citizens and that was at Montrose when the Top Table and a selected few got invited into the boardroom. The rest were shoved into a broom cupboard.

3 hours ago, buloyal said:

I know at boness the committee purchase season tickets every season. I know it's not what your are saying about committee at away games but would certainly help clubs if their own committees done the same 

You have to pay over £100 a year to be on Lok committee (might be £120).

You have to pay over £100 a year to be on Lok committee (might be £120).

You've got to mind some people are living week to week. Whether committee or not they can't afford to pay £100 upfront for a season ticket

I'd imagine that some Clubs will kick the hole out of it, with 'x' amount of committee men turning up at away games expecting free entry, however on the whole, there is no way that guys who give up their free time to keep clubs operational should be charged entry to watch the team that they spend hours and in some instances £s on a weekly basis. 

The SJFA should have  a set of rules on the process written up surely?

Taken from the East Region Member  Handbook

41. Season Tickets will only be valid for clubs home league fixtures. Life Members, Regional Committee and members of the Committee and Officials of the SJFA shall on production of their Membership Card be admitted to the ground of all clubs in the Region. Visiting clubs will receive a maximum of 30 complimentary admissions for players and officials.

I totally agree with Grifti on this, I've said at our committee meetings that we should all pay in, what's £6 to watch your team, but £60 extra at the gate is welcome revenue to all clubs.
I would also do away with the halftime cuppa, would also help the home club coffers at the pie hut. Would keep the post match hospitality though

36 minutes ago, guinness said:

The people that want to go on the committee but can't afford the membership fee.

I'd love to be a member of my local fancy dan gym with pool and sauna, but I'm not as I can't afford the membership fee.  I'm not discriminated against.

A club can’t be greater than the sum of its parts, if there’s tough times and your taking away perhaps the only perk for volunteers, would it not risk costing more work with fewer hands? Not saying many folk would walk over £60 but would it not be another reminder that a match ball is worth more than your hours of contributions? :lol:

Archived