Freebies for the committee

griffiti on the wall

31 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Let's not get silly

I'm not asking for players to be charged that's just nonsense

But I don't think anyone should get in free at any game just cos your on a committee after all its only £6 which is roughly the price of a pint but like I said £1220 per season is a hellva lot ah money to clubs that are struggling to survive .

Well it happens in seniors..that people involved  with clubs get into games free..so committee s entitled to it

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasnt for these guys and girls you wouldnt have as many teams to watch.

I dont think a lot of punters realise the time and effort that goes in to running a junior club.

If their only reward is to get in to the match for free I find it hard to question that .

Not just committee men who get in for free. Anyone with authorisation from SJFA get in free. I have seen diaries being issued to folk which have a page in it detailing the SJFA have given assurances of free entry to games and they can show up to any game of their choosing and gain free entry.
I get where GOTW is coming from. Tight finances for some club's could do with a boost of the lost revenue from free entry for committee men.

11 minutes ago, Rochstar1920 said:

Not just committee men who get in for free. Anyone with authorisation from SJFA get in free. I have seen diaries being issued to folk which have a page in it detailing the SJFA have given assurances of free entry to games and they can show up to any game of their choosing and gain free entry.
I get where GOTW is coming from. Tight finances for some club's could do with a boost of the lost revenue from free entry for committee men.

That'll be the life members

Absolutely m8 I saw folk pulling out there card for admission to a friendly so not to pay a couple of quid gate money which was really just to pay for the ref and wash the kit .

1 hour ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Let's not get silly

But I don't think anyone should get in free at any game just cos your on a committee after all its only £6 which is roughly the price of a pint but like I said £1220 per season is a hellva lot ah money to clubs that are struggling to survive .

So, you'd charge the Secretary who is there to prepare the team lines and do other odd jobs, you'd charge the kit man/committee who lay out the kit and pick it up after the game, you'd charge the guy who is there to do the line, and then you'd charge the rest of the committee who perhaps give up 2 or 3 nights a week minimum to keep the club running to give you opposition to play? c'mon tae feck.

Clubs don't miss the money you mention because committee have never been charged, ever, so you're not losing out and these guys will also buy a few raffles, a programme and a pie. If you have a bar they'll put money into that as well.

If it wasnt for these guys and girls you wouldnt have as many teams to watch.

I dont think a lot of punters realise the time and effort that goes in to running a junior club.
If their only reward is to get in to the match for free I find it hard to question that .
I actually do help at my club in many different ways so I know that some guys do an absolutely fantastic job but I also know how hard it is for clubs to get by.
I'm very proud to say at my club all our committee are season ticket holders.
I have no idea our uptake at away games as tbh it's none of my business but I can tell you my terrace buddy who is on our committee pays into every away game .

To be fair, if a committee member gave just one hour a week, most do a lot more, then at living wage it would be around 440 quids worth per year. Given that a fair percentage of them would only be paying £3 / £2:50 entry to a game anyway, I reckon they put more into the game than they take out, a lot more. Without them clubs simply wouldn't function . Free entry is scant reward for their efforts.

Naw, I'm not on any committee !

10 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

I actually do help at my club in many different ways so I know that some guys do an absolutely fantastic job but I also know how hard it is for clubs to get by.
I have no idea our uptake at away games as tbh it's none of my business but I can tell you my terrace buddy who is on our committee pays into every away game .

Fair play to them for that but I still think we cant grudge any committee member getting in to matches for free in recognition of their efforts

9 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Let's not get silly

Just make sure you hammer them with raffle tickets, football cards bad sweeps.

I know at boness the committee purchase season tickets every season. I know it's not what your are saying about committee at away games but would certainly help clubs if their own committees done the same 

A lot of committee guys actually still pay in at games cos they no Huw tough it can be. Also buy raffles etc to.... don’t no about other committes  but we all still buy season tickets pay on away buses with no discounts pay the same as fans at fundraisers ... 

it’s all for the love of your club you try giv other clubs a turn when at grounds buy using there bars  going back for hospitality etc ... 

1 hour ago, parkcircus said:

We counted 32 Glenafton Committee cards at the last match

A minority of clubs have big committees, but it's down to them how they distribute them - there should be no more than ten cards at each club. if a team's abusing that it should be challenged.

I must admit I've got one, but I still feel a bit weird about using it, perhaps because as programme editor/online guy I'm a classic example of one of those committee members who doesn't have a defined role at away games. I reckon I've maybe only used it three or four times this season as I don't go to absolutely  every away game...if there's something more attractive on offer elsewhere I might take it up, for example earlier in the season where I got the chance of a run up to Formartine in the Highland League rather than Shettleston away! If a team's clearly on the bones of its arse I'd feel bad and pay in regardless though.

It's an interesting topic for discussion  - I reckon it might fill a page in one of our forthcoming programmes, so thanks for food for thought...

11 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

As far as I'm aware all committee members at all clubs are ST holders.

Maybe limiting cards to 5 or 6

Chairman / president

Club Secretary 

Vice chairman vice president, vice secretary.

Gate man and linesman, tea bar person 

Is something to look at. Folk that on the day are working for the club. 

Your players, management, kit man physio are all part of the playing side and should be let in free.

The majority of club committee are season ticket holders so pay x amount a year to get into home games. They maybe should pay in to away grounds (at concession prices with a card?)

I am not saying those on committee don't deserve it, they do. They work extremely hard. But on matchdays the people who can stand and watch the game should pay to get in.

On hospitality.

I Always avoided half time hospitality but after the game hospitality should be available and unless agreed before hand taken up by both clubs, management and players. Not everyone needs to go but it's a opportunity to recharge the battery for players, and warm up for everyone else. A few clubs get hospitality for free on exchange for sponsorship but the ones who fork out deserve the respect of teams going unless previously agreed.

Clubs with long drives home appreciate a nice bit of food and a drink before heading off. 

Archived