Cosa Nostra

After reading a few books on the Sicilian mafia about five years ago I became very interested in them for a while.

The story of the corleonesi, the faction from the small town of Corleone who took over the Sicilian mafia in a bloody coup, then conducted a massacre of their opponents in the second mafia war of the 1980s and the subsequent war on the Italian and Sicilian state is absolutely breathtaking, and eclipses anything mario Puzp could come up with.  His choice of Corleone was pure coincidence apparently.  

These were criminals much more comparable to the IRA, ETA or the red brigades than the kray brothers.  (Proportionally more Sicilians died at the hands of the mafia than n Irish people were killed during the troubles). They infiltrated the state to a staggering level and acquired wealth that compared with Pablo Escobar in Colombia. 

The head of this faction that came to dominate and control Cosa Nostra (la Cosa Nostra is a mistranslation used in America - it means the our thing) was a guy called toto riina.  He was arrested in 1993 and had been in jail ever since.  After becoming interested I periodically checked for updates as to the status of riina and his successor Bernardo provenzano, captured in 2006 after 43 years on the run.  Provenzano died a year or two ago, I only found out last night that riina also died in November, unrepentant to the end.

I would recommend anybody wishing to research this time to perhaps start with a documentary called excellent cadavers on YouTube, there is also a made for TV film of the same name though that's not as good.

Also a fantastic book I'll get the name of in a second.

Cosa Nostra by john dickie is a good historical overview

Excellent cadavers (which is the translation of the name they gave to high profile assassination victims) by Alexander stille is the book of the above documentary

And one more which is the best book I've ever read in non fiction I'm still looking for

I always like to compare it to Scotland as sicily has the same population and I feel the perspective helps to understand better.

Tens of thousands were murdered, Cosa Nostras most prolific hitman was believed to have killed over 300 personally before being murdered at the age of 33.  Entire families were vanished, one pentito (state witness) saw over 30 of his family members killed to punish him.  It was not uncommon during the early 80s for 10 or 20 attacks in and around Palermo to occur on the same day.

They killed judges, lawyers, politicians even the president of Sicily.  Can you imagine that?  That's like a criminal group killing Nicola sturgeon.  They waged war on the state when the state tried to crack down on them culminating in two infamous bombings two months apart killing both investigating magistrates targeting them, followed by a series of terrorist attacks on the Italian mainland.  

Palermo airport is now named after those judges Paolo borsellino and giovanne falcone.  Every layer of Sicilian and Italian society was permeated including seven times prime minister of Italy Giulio Andreotti being directly linked to riina himself.  If you are interested in organised crime or whatever this is the best story of the lot.

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Who are the real gangsters? The mafia? IRA?

Or the businessman in his suit and tie? 

Or a schoolgirl who passes a bird struggling with a broken wing and ignores it.

The story of how riina courted his wife made me burst out laughing when I first read it.  He was 25 she was 13, he used to wait at the end of her street and then silently follow her to school every morning.  Much like our current king and queen and also Pablo Escobar utterly beastly behaviour that was clearly much more acceptable in a different time.

Invergowrie Arab salvo Lima would be a good example of the type you refer to, he was Cosa Nostras conduit to the Italian government for years, killed because he failed to have verdicts from the maxi trial of the mud 80s overturned.

55 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I always like to compare it to Scotland as sicily has the same population and I feel the perspective helps to understand better.

Tens of thousands were murdered, Cosa Nostras most prolific hitman was believed to have killed over 300 personally before being murdered at the age of 33.  Entire families were vanished, one pentito (state witness) saw over 30 of his family members killed to punish him.  It was not uncommon during the early 80s for 10 or 20 attacks in and around Palermo to occur on the same day.

They killed judges, lawyers, politicians even the president of Sicily.  Can you imagine that?  That's like a criminal group killing Nicola sturgeon.  They waged war on the state when the state tried to crack down on them culminating in two infamous bombings two months apart killing both investigating magistrates targeting them, followed by a series of terrorist attacks on the Italian mainland.  

Palermo airport is now named after those judges Paolo borsellino and giovanne falcone.  Every layer of Sicilian and Italian society was permeated including seven times prime minister of Italy Giulio Andreotti being directly linked to riina himself.  If you are interested in organised crime or whatever this is the best story of the lot.

So, not all bad, then...

You know, I read a lot. Especially about history. I find that shit fascinating. Here's a fact, I don't know whether you know or not, Sicilians  were spawned by Africans.
Sicilians have black blood pumpin' through their hearts. If you don't believe me, you can look it up. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, you see, the Moors conquered Sicily.
And the Moors are Africans.  So you see, way back then, Sicilians were like wops from Northern Italy. Ah, they all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but then the Moors moved in there, they changed the whole country. They did so much fucking with Sicilian women that they changed the whole bloodline forever. That's why blonde hair and blue eyes became black hair and dark skin. They're part eggplant.

Archived