Steven caulker

1 minute ago, forameus said:

Personal issues I believe.  Alcohol, gambling, the full gamut.  Hopefully for his own sake he can get things back on track, but still doubt he'll want to turn out for us.  Would make Dullard combust.

Ah. Well hopefully if he's signing for a club again he'll have that behind him and can just concentrate on playing. Don't see him turning any heads for the England team, he may well just fancy playing for us after a while playing up here. I hope so anyway, if purely to watch Dullard combust as you say.

I have been thinking for a while we are actually not bad at CB going forward and much more of an issue is central midfield.  We don't have much coming through to follow a decade of some really good players like Fletcher and brown. 

McCarthy is a big miss for Scotland imo, injured just now but about 220 EPL appearances, quality player. Him and mctominay and we would be looking really good.  Though we will miss out on mctominay imo, just wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I have been thinking for a while we are actually not bad at CB going forward and much more of an issue is central midfield.  We don't have much coming through to follow a decade of some really good players like Fletcher and brown. 

McCarthy is a big miss for Scotland imo, injured just now but about 220 EPL appearances, quality player. Him and mctominay and we would be looking really good.  Though we will miss out on mctominay imo, just wishful thinking.

I know none of them are particularly young anymore but I'd like to see some combination of Cairney, McGinn and Armstrong/McGregor become established as the midfield 3 going forward. With the likes of Brown, Fletcher, McArthur etc. in and around the squad for experience.

I'm not 100% convinced McGinn will develop into anything other than average yet either, but outside of that lot I'm not particularly impressed with any of the midfield options coming through.

This isn’t really a slight on him but McCarthy is a poor mans Darren Fletcher.

5 minutes ago, Man of Aran said:

I know none of them are particularly young anymore but I'd like to see some combination of Cairney, McGinn and Armstrong/McGregor become established as the midfield 3 going forward. With the likes of Brown, Fletcher, McArthur etc. in and around the squad for experience.

I'm not 100% convinced McGinn will develop into anything other than average yet either, but outside of that lot I'm not particularly impressed with any of the midfield options coming through.

Totally agree, though just stylistically I really like McGregor, cracking wee player.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The fact that he's had to sign for Dundee right now suggests that he's not really in a place to be playing for Scotland, let alone England.

You'd have said that about hendry a year ago.  Caulker has proven pedigree, if Caulker can get his head and body into the right place he's the best CB in the country.  Dundee offer a platform.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The fact that he's had to sign for Dundee right now suggests that he's not really in a place to be playing for Scotland, let alone England.

Agree with this. If he screws the nut and can progress than fair enough. But at the moment I don't think we should be looking to give him games for the sake of his history of clubs and the fact he's a coup for Dundee. Would far rather we looked at someone progressing in the other direction like Liam Lindsay.

5 hours ago, rw89 said:

Agree with this. If he screws the nut and can progress than fair enough. But at the moment I don't think we should be looking to give him games for the sake of his history of clubs and the fact he's a coup for Dundee. Would far rather we looked at someone progressing in the other direction like Liam Lindsay.

Nobody is suggesting give him a game now but if he returns to his previous form he's easily good enough to stroll into our team.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

• 1 month later...

What imbecile would even entertain the thought of a bona fide englishman, who turned us down in the first instance to play for 'them' who has literally stood and sang god save the queen whilst standing with pride wearing the 3 lions on his shirt in his first cap and would do  again without any hesitation whatsoever were he to get picked again, including any future match against Scotland. But is now so shite he's playing for Dundee and a million miles away from an England call up in a sad desperate act to improve his cv he would happily jump ship to Scotland since theres no chance he will get picked again for England and some scotland fans would actually entertain this and welcome him into our squad with open arms. Deary me the whole notion of international football and what it means is completely lost on some people.