Best thing that’s happened in your life?

1 hour ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I was at Hampden for the Griffiths goals and the celebrations were absolutely mental, proper bodies all over the shop, yet it was still absolutely nothing on David Grays header.

This. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Football - Obviously as a Dundee fan there's not a lot to choose from. However I'd go for my first Dundee derby  in November 1987. We were crammed into the top corner of the enclosure where the George Fox stand is now. Tommy Coyne scored after 2mins in what turned out to be a brilliant 3-1 away win. Both sides missed a load of chances, and Bobby Geddes pulled off at least three absolutely world class saves, before Coyne and Wright scored midway through the second half. Brilliant atmosphere and absolute bedlam on a steep as f**k bit of terracing. 

Football was better when the players were eating too many pies with their pints and channels and pockets hadn't been invented

Well that would be seeing Frightened Rabbit at T in the Park the year before, then.

I would say The Strokes 2004 and then in 2006, Rage against the machine in 2008 or the Arctic Monkeys in 2007 but so many to chose from. Pulp were in 2011 on the main stage just before Foo Fighters, the main stage was amazing that day with Blondie, Weezer, MCR Pulp then the Foo Fighters. You just don’t get weekends like that anymore.

Football would probably have to be seeing Brechin promoted to the First Division back around 2002. Doesn't sound earth shattering, but we had only won the Third Division the season before so nobody expected us to go on and win promotion with a last-minute-of-the-season goal at New Douglas Park having been 2-0 down with about 15 mins or so to go. I must have ended up in a different row or three during the scenes.

Not married but I guess meeting my bidie-in needs an honourable mention. However, as one of these strange people that enjoys going down wet and muddy holes in the ground and forever helping with the hunt for new caves across Scotland, I finally found my first new one just last year, this being a real nice and sizeable one in the middle of Perthshire.

Reason for this (perhaps odd sounding) choice was that I was the first person in Earth's history to see and wander about this place that had gone undiscovered until then, a rare opportunity in a digital age where not only do we know what every square metre of Earth's surface looks like, but even every acre on the surface of the Moon and even Mars. You'd need to build a probe and travel to some far flung unsurveyed planet to have that similar feeling, but buying a spade and heading into the heathery hills here is almost certainly a cheaper alternative.

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Not married but I guess meeting my bidie-in needs an honourable mention.....

Reason for this (perhaps odd sounding) choice was that I was the first person in Earth's history to see and wander about this place that had gone undiscovered until then....., but buying a spade and heading into the heathery hills here is almost certainly a cheaper alternative.

F5929E38-B161-4DF4-96FE-326E6D08EE61.jpeg

Beautiful metaphor from Hedgey. Life is a quest for new holes.

Continuing the quest tomorrow, dirty weekend up in the NW Highlands going somewhere deep, dark and moist in PVC. Good exercise.

Guest Moomintroll

I would say The Strokes 2004 and then in 2006, Rage against the machine in 2008 or the Arctic Monkeys in 2007 but so many to chose from. Pulp were in 2011 on the main stage just before Foo Fighters, the main stage was amazing that day with Blondie, Weezer, MCR Pulp then the Foo Fighters. You just don’t get weekends like that anymore.
That hailstorm when Blondie were on was fun, 2011 was definitely the best year for TITP. The amount of bands I missed because of clashes was ridiculous but there was always someone better to see, the swamp that was 2012 didnt really help matters but cant believe how quickly it went downhill after that.

From a footballing perspective it would have to be between beating Celtic 2-1 in the SC in 2006, or Griffiths' second against England at Hampden last June.  I genuinely don't think I have ever felt such euphoria when that goal went in, it was just absolutely unbelievable.  I still can't believe that actually happened.  It's like something you read about in a fictional football book, or film, but to witness that firsthand, in a packed Hampden with my friends.  Wow.  

Becoming a Dad is the obvious one.  Those two days were the proudest/scariest moments of my life.  Over nine years since the first one was born, and I'm still not entirely sure I know what I am doing.

Going to university would also be up there.  I went from rubbish job to rubbish job in my late teens, and probably would still be doing the same if my ex hadn't pushed me to go back into education.  As a result, got a 2:1, and it got me into the job I am in today, which I really enjoy and pays not too badly.  

@jupe1407 talked about riding a bird for a few months who was heavy tidy.  I ended up pumping the bridesmaid at my pal's wedding last year.  That was a highlight, no doubt about it, as she was pretty decent.  

Daughter born and wedding day aside the Scott Severin goal agai st the **** in 2007 (I think) at Pittodrie. I think we needed to win to confirm Europe that year. I was in the Y and it was the first time I remember actually expecting to go in and beat one of the old firm. Great day, start of a fantastic summer.

That hailstorm when Blondie were on was fun, 2011 was definitely the best year for TITP. The amount of bands I missed because of clashes was ridiculous but there was always someone better to see, the swamp that was 2012 didnt really help matters but cant believe how quickly it went downhill after that.

Yeah it was some line up that year, I was in Australia in 2012 but back for 13 and it was one of the best ones for me personally and the weather was absolutely amazing which makes all the difference. Times have changed now sadly and I doubt it will ever come back as a full camping weekend with such strong line ups as back then but I certainly enjoyed it while it lasted.

I think I was at that Blondie set. Where there not some 'Healthy Scotland' people before them trying to get the, pissed, cold, wet crowd to do some exercise which was met with predictable scorn. I think that was the same year Odd Future bottled the crowd after the crowd bottled them.

Archived