Stupidest Things Said By Scottish Football Managers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy Wright - the serious car crash incident 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-11638020 

Bad enough going nuts about his players being late, he then announces he's "drawn a line," under the incident.  Not before every sane person in Scotland decided he was an unreasonable w**k, though. 

Gerry Collins was, thankfully, only Thistle manager for a very brief period of time but he came out with some absolute corkers after games. Here's a few highlights: 

After a defeat at Kilmarnock he said he would try and get the players a win bonus because they played so well. Errr Gerry, they lost. 

He also said he would remortgage his house to fund new signings. I'm guessing Mrs Collins might have had something to say about that perhaps involving the removal of Mr Collins' testicles. 

Best, and I wish this had been filmed, was a pre-arranged rant at the after match press conference after a game (surprise, surprise a defeat) at East End Park when Dunfermline  had that awful plastic pitch. It's maybe suitable for women's hockey quoth the winless and hapless Mr Collins but not SPL football. Total cringe made worse by the then Thistle Club Secretary sitting beside him and  not telling him that this is a stupid thing to do. 

Not something a manager said as such, but one of the most ridiculous things I've seen a manager do comes at the end of the 2004/05 season, and stars Jim Leishman (who else)...

Having suffered a horrendous season at the hands of Davie Hay, Leish is parachuted into the manager's chair towards the end of the season on a mission to keep the Pars in the league.  Coming into the last game, the league table reads thus...

Dunfermline......34     -22

Livingston...........34     -27

Dundee Utd.......33     -19

--------------------------------------------

Dundee...............32      -34

Dunfermline all but safe....the UNLIKELY series of results needed for Jim to fail is...a one goal win for Dundee, a SEVEN goal loss for Dunfermline, and a draw for United.

With about 50 minutes on the clock, Dundee are winning 1-0 - and wouldn't you know it....the Pars are already four goals down at Rugby Park.  The foot comes very obviously off the gas in Ayrshire, as Boyd and co. have seemed to begin planning a package holiday in between throw-ins, and the score finishes at 4-0.  Cue the bold Jim racing towards a beleaguered Dunfermline crowd at full-time, clenched fists shaking in triumph, full on chest-pumping moonhowler at defaulting his way into the following season's SPL - where big Leish keeps his job, and secures another 11th place finish, helped out by a financially crippled Livingston who succumb with only 18 points.  His home record 2005/06 stands at 3 wins for the season, with an 8-1 drubbing at the hands of Celtic for good measure.

There was a moment a few years ago where Ray McKinnon signed Kyle Benedictus for Raith and in a following interview, kept going on about how it was good they had a left footer and it would add balance to the centre back pairing. Benedictus scored a great goal against Hibs one on his left foot so it seems quite probable that he maybe just went on YouTube and this was how he based his thinking.

It worked out OK for him that season but that's an astounding thing for a manager to say. I'd be very concerned about letting him spend the clubs money if I was on the board.

All paraphrasing, but....

I didn't expect to be here, but for a few bits of bad luck I should be managing Liverpool now. - Mark McGhee

I'd rather have been offered the Celtic job. - Mark McGhee

We've no chance. - Stuart McCall

The fans can't say I turned my back on Motherwell, at Chrismas I spent £300 in the club shop. Did they do that? - Craig Brown.

Hi we'd like to sign Eddie May in exchange for Stevie Kirk, Paul McGrillen AND 400k. - Alex McLeish

How come we lost? Well it's just yer Donald Duck intit? - Maurice Malpas

Archived