Raith Rovers v Airdrie

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting game. Airdrie are one of the few teams I've seen against us who I thought looked not to bad but they seem a bit 'up and down' this season overall. With our good home form and recent additions to the squad I think we'll have enough about us to get the win. Don't think we'll horse them but maybe a 2-1 or 1-0 win for us. Any win will do to be honest.

As a cautious manager I would be very surprised if its anything other than the same team that started last night. That starting XI leaves us lot's of changes (defensive or attacking) too, so I would be happy to see it remain the same.

I had a look at Airdrie's last few league fixtures and after beating Ayr its been 3 draws 1 win and 1 defeat. I am another that is slightly surprised by their patchy form. Especially in the game at their place they looked a decent side. Is it just the inconsistency of youth? Do Airdrie fans expect/think there will be performance on Saturday?

The home form of 10 wins and 1 draw has me hopeful - I think it will be tight but we will just nick it... hopefully...

As for the game itself, Airdrie have had a lot of changes and made some potentially excellent signings in the transfer window. At home they seem to be really solid, but their form away from home is third worst in the league is pretty poor over the last six games (1 win in that time). If we can play with the same intensity of last night, and show the same willingness to get the ball forward on the deck, then I'll be confident.

Furtado has been superb for us in the two games I've seen him. Both himself and Lennox make us look a lot more solid. Would love to be 8 points ahead after this, but it'd be classic Rovers to throw a spanner in the works.

Vaughan may be a doubt after what looked like a sore one just before full time - he was clearly struggling when he left the pitch! Good to see Robertson get half an hour last night so imagine he may come back in the team on Saturday although you can't drop Herron after that performance last nigh!  both Buchanan and Barr looked like they took knocks as well before being subbed off, so fingers crossed.

Home games for me are all must wins, particularly when Ayr aren't playing. Don't want to let the momentum swing back to them with a poor performance at home - if we can get 8 points clear before they kick a ball again, that puts them under huge pressure with only 12 games left.

Need the supporters turning out more than ever on Saturday's now - keep backing the team all the way to the title!

Things have certainly been looking up for us recently, and we've made enough  changes to the squad that I think we'll certainly do better in the second half of the season than we did in the first.  Even so, this will be a really tough game away to a good side.  We've had more than enough draws recently, but I'd be more than happy with one on Saturday.

5 hours ago, Big Berk said:

I'm certain Airdie will be much tougher opponents than Albion or the Spiders, and a win is no formality.

The league table would definitely suggest that will be the case. 

I was impressed with Airdrie in December - we stole a point we didn't deserve. 

Hopefully we'll continue to show improvement from then. 

Nice to see some optimism from Airdrie after the turbulations they’ve had this season.

I sincerely hope this optimism doesn’t bare fruit on Saturday though. Judging by our form at home, this would seem unlikely. But it is the Rovers.

Feeling strangely confident, even though Airdrie will be a different proposition to the last two opponents.

Hoping the team can continue to be buoyed by the return of Annie Lennox in goals, a much more assuring presence.  Maybe Linda Thomson can kick on from the midweek goal too.

Finally, although we can't really argue with the league table, I still want to see African American mathematician Dorothy Vaughan (1910–2008) playing a bit closer to goal.

etc

Archived