Herriot Watt

44 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

Seen on twitter that stands were being built at Herriot Watt. Anyone know if they will be going for a licence? 

I suspect so. The EOS are very keen to see all their member clubs licensed. Whilst there’s more to it than the ground, it’s the ground improvements that are most problematic due to the costs involved.

Heriot Watt are in with a decent shout of a license once the stand is built. With Saughton being improved over the next year or so, Lothian and Tynecastle must be in a strong position too. Leith will be too when the new Meadowbank opens further down the line. 

With all of the above combining with some big junior clubs making the move - Kelty previously, Dalkeith next season, and others like Bo’Ness potentially in future and all of a sudden what appeared to be a pub league in danger of going out of business all of a sudden looks quite healthy. 

Longer term I suspect it will result in teams finding their level - ie Vale of Leithen, Civil, and Edinburgh Uni etc returning to their EOS roots over the next 3 years or so. 

They had been rumoured to be one of the initial 17 clubs to apply for the LL, are tied in with Currie Star which is one of the local youth clubs so I'd imagine licencing is on the agenda. From memory of the 3g set up at heriot watt I'd imagine the problem's would be about protected access for the players to get to the pitch, the toilets are outside the boundary of the ground and I think the main access is Up a set of stairs if I remember correctly. There maybe other access round the other side? Also I'm not sure what catering there is close by.

Do you have a link to what you found on twitter? I'm interested to see what it looks like now as the stand should be finished by the start of March

Thanks.

There's an article in the Edinburgh News about it today too with a picture and video. Hearts 20's are moving their base there from stenhousemuir, not sure if under 20's have to play at a licenced ground or not

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-to-play-under-20-matches-at-riccarton-in-front-of-new-stand-1-4685165/amp?__twitter_impression=true

10 hours ago, calmac25 said:

They had been rumoured to be one of the initial 17 clubs to apply for the LL, are tied in with Currie Star which is one of the local youth clubs so I'd imagine licencing is on the agenda. From memory of the 3g set up at heriot watt I'd imagine the problem's would be about protected access for the players to get to the pitch, the toilets are outside the boundary of the ground and I think the main access is Up a set of stairs if I remember correctly. There maybe other access round the other side? Also I'm not sure what catering there is close by.

Do you have a link to what you found on twitter? I'm interested to see what it looks like now as the stand should be finished by the start of March

I was there for a cup final last season. As you say dressing rooms are in main building, only catering is the cafe at the indoor Oriam same with toilets.

I would think they would need some sort of pavilion maybe across from the new stand and toilets for the public and catering for the public within the boundary to get a licence for the ground. All doable I suppose it they really wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Looks great. 

57 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Nice 

Agreed they have done a good job of it. Same company won done the wee standing area at Lothian Thistle.

Bit of a quirky feature having the 3 separate stands instead of 1 long one to save having to move the floodlight pylons.

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I like the seats at the front for people with no pals. Seats facing away from the pitch might be handy as well.

Been at a few games i've wished the seats were facing away from the pitch:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The new stands were full on the 3G pitch side for the Hearts v Hibs development league match yesterday. Viewing isn't the best if there are a lot of people standing in the gaps between the stands or wandering about in front of the stands. Access to toilet facilities in the main building wasn't great either.

It should get a good test this weekend with the visit of Kelty.

Archived