Suffragettes

Cosmic Joe

15 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Just read an article on the bbc website on a group of women who were opposed to giving women voting rights which was a bit bizarre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42704341

That came up on QI once; "who were the most vociferous opponents of women receiving the right to vote?", or something similar.

There's a percentage of people who would find a reason to oppose absolutely anything. For example, I'm fairly certain that my own father would approve of any moves made to dismantle democracy altogether and return to a sovereign monarch. People are weird.

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Just read an article on the bbc website on a group of women who were opposed to giving women voting rights which was a bit bizarre.

A depressing number of women voted for Trump and still defend him, despite everything. It isn't just that I disagree with them, I truly don't understand them.

Some parts of Switzerland were fairly late in letting women vote. My father in law was talking about it recently. His mum was against women getting the vote because in her words "We tell our bloody men who they are voting for anyway".

That came up on QI once; "who were the most vociferous opponents of women receiving the right to vote?", or something similar.
There's a percentage of people who would find a reason to oppose absolutely anything. For example, I'm fairly certain that my own father would approve of any moves made to dismantle democracy altogether and return to a sovereign monarch. People are weird.

If it resulted in people stopping bitching and moaning about a democratic vote that never went the way they wanted then I'd be all for it as well...

It's also the case that many suffragettes opposed universal suffrage, for working class men & women. Suffragettes didn't win the vote anyway: men & women in the trenches and factories did.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it resulted in people stopping bitching and moaning about a democratic vote that never went the way they wanted then I'd be all for it as well...

I don't think anything would stop the old man bitching and moaning  <_<

3 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Apparently they even burned down Leuchars Train Station. They make today's political activists look a bit wishy washy...

One person's "direct action" is another's "civil disorder", afterall. Tbh, if it was happening today some aspects would be getting labelled 'domestic terrorism' :o. They also bombed the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh, fired Ayr and Perth racecourse grandstands and burnt-down Whitekirk Church in East Lothian. An unsuccessful attempt was made to blow-up Glasgow's drinking-water aqueduct from Loch Katrine.

Much was disobedience, peaceful protest and low-level disruption or vandalism. You also get the famous cases like the hunger strikers and the woman who threw herself under a racehorse.

However at the extreme end you had assaults, rioting, arson, planting bombs, intimidation, widespread attacks on the post and telephone systems, letter-bombs, burning down places of worship, etc.

I've read somewhere there was purportedly even a plot to assassinate Asquith :lol:.

As such I suppose you could picture the militant wing as a sort of a corseted, horse-drawn version of The Bader Meinhof Complex, without most of the killing (and dare I say sex)...

Think a lot of intellectuals probably clung to the Rousseauian (sp?) notion of men and women occupying different spheres.

That was the glory days when it was the left wing committing terrorist atrocities. They had ambition as well. Shout outs to the People’s Will taking out a Tsar and that woman that flung herself in front of the king. Imagine they had taken out Asquith as well. Mad shit.

Archived