Fluid Fans?

12 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

No fear you will see a massive away support when the candy roll into town for the cup tie vs Auchenleck.
We always travel in good numbers so make sure there is enough pies beers and teas to keep the candy faithful in good spirits
Thanks emoji38.png

Im sure the candy will bring more to The Bernabeechwood than pollok will,im getting the calculater ready to count the 200 pollok fans that travel down in two weeks,although i may have made a mistake adding the last zero.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strangely enough , one of the biggest away supports I have seen at the Rose ( aside from Boness) was Pollok in the Scottish QF a few years ago. They brought the crowd up to just over 2000 and had a good few hundred

1 hour ago, Harry's Corner said:

Outrageous claim emoji23.png

Just using established arithmetical bases and not Auchinleckonian variants lololol.

otherwise known as verifying your home crowds which very bizarrely Auchinleck seem unable properly to do....

Let's be honest Pollok are not a poorly supported team however they do have a awfully low travelling support. It's an observation not only from me btw.

They do not have the same passion as Ayrshire/Lothian teams as they don't have that type of community spirit.

Infact I may be wrong here but newlandfields isn't even in Pollok. Last time I recall Pollok l (the area) is nearer to silverburn and the park is in another part of Glasgow.

Maybe they should rename themselves?

Pollokshaws Juniors?

Shawlands Cherrypickers?

Pollok have done very well to buck the trend of crowds falling away which has been a problem for every other club in Glasgow and most of the surrounding area (with the exception of Clydebank). In fact if you look at the strongholds of Junior football then it's never really been all that strong in Scotlands main cities outwith Glasgow and to an extent Dundee where senior sides rule the roost. Junior fans in rural communities can call on a greater once in a blue moon support from people who treat the football as a gala day once every few years but Pollok have still done something right somewhere to maintain such a healthy core support in the heart of Scottish footballs most competitive fan market with three SPL sides in walking distance. 

I agree Harry,watching Talbot for 40 years or so i cant ever recall Pollok having a healthy away support at Beechwood.Try a  rough head count in the upcoming cup tie and i'll be surprised if more than fifty travel from their tenements,bearing in mind that roughly 250 Talbot fans attended Newlandsfield for recent league game would suggest that  we have one of the best travelling support in junior football.Can any Talbot posters recall largest away support they have seen at Beechwood?

Was told by an old talbot boy,the biggest away support hed seen was the buffs the year they won the scottish and the other 5 trophies.??

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

Pollok have done very well to buck the trend of crowds falling away which has been a problem for every other club in Glasgow and most of the surrounding area (with the exception of Clydebank). In fact if you look at the strongholds of Junior football then it's never really been all that strong in Scotlands main cities outwith Glasgow and to an extent Dundee where senior sides rule the roost. Junior fans in rural communities can call on a greater once in a blue moon support from people who treat the football as a gala day once every few years but Pollok have still done something right somewhere to maintain such a healthy core support in the heart of Scottish footballs most competitive fan market with three SPL sides in walking distance. 

The population density must come into that,even with the spl clubs.Compare Glasgow southside to Auchinleck's surrounding area i should think Pollok would have a healthy home support,however that is not in doubt here its the question of Polloks travelling support not being great,this will be tested in upcoming tie.

41 minutes ago, Harry's Corner said:
1 hour ago, kenny131 said:
Has anyone else in the west brought in over 1k fans for a league match this season other than pollok if not argument over.

What game was that Kenny? Home games I've mentioned that pollok have a very healthy support. Its the away support i refer to.

Opening post suggests he was having a pop at the home gate

1 hour ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

The population density must come into that,even with the spl clubs.Compare Glasgow southside to Auchinleck's surrounding area i should think Pollok would have a healthy home support,however that is not in doubt here its the question of Polloks travelling support not being great,this will be tested in upcoming tie.

Their home support is in doubt or the thread would not have been started in the first place. 

There are plenty of clubs in Glasgow who can only dream of breaking past double figure crowds so population density clearly isn't a stand alone indicator of a club being well supported.  Pollok have done exceptionally well to thrive in the city they live in. 

I also doubt their travelling support is as poor as many people will have us believe as the subject of crowd size is like a dog whistle which brings some of this sites most lamentable balloons out of the woodwork, and frankly, if some of them told me the day of the week I'd still check for myself. 

Surviving and thriving in an urban environment as a junior club with the thousands of competing distractions and no community as such is a huge achievement.Look at the Glasgow clubs now left most of whom struggle to get 50 folk in the ground.

Existing as the only club in a remote village or small town where little else goes on and the big day out to the football to see the rest of the world is a treat isn't a hard sell.

Surviving and thriving in an urban environment as a junior club with the thousands of competing distractions and no community as such is a huge achievement.Look at the Glasgow clubs now left most of whom struggle to get 50 folk in the ground.
Existing as the only club in a remote village or small town where little else goes on and the big day out to the football to see the rest of the world is a treat isn't a hard sell.
Must be hard to be a townie with all that distraction [emoji108][emoji23]

So remind me why don't lok fans come to away games again?

Plenty of Lok fans come to away games.The thing that is a mystery is the poor Auchinleck home support.Where were they last year for the cup replay when the attendance halved from the game in Glasgow?Or was it down to maw paw and the weans big day out in the City?

And there are indeed lots of things to do in a large City.We even have shops that open on a Saturday lolol.!

1 hour ago, Lokloyal said:

A lot of Glasgow junior clubs exist in places where there's either been a high degree of urban depopulation or big demographic shifts in recent decades as well; the North and East of the city where six sides play is nowhere near as densely populated as it was forty or fifty years ago, and particularly in the north a significant proportion of those living there are new Scots who haven't been here long enough or feel enough part of things yet  to start investigating their local football team. You could say much the same for the two Govan clubs.

Ourselves and St Roch's seem to be the only teams in the city whose attendances have actually risen recently, having adopted different strategies to get people interested - it is a different set of challenges that face city teams...the transience of modern city life means that people don't put down roots as firmly as they often do in smaller communities.

Plenty of Lok fans come to away games.The thing that is a mystery is the poor Auchinleck home support.Where were they last year for the cup replay when the attendance halved from the game in Glasgow?Or was it down to maw paw and the weans big day out in the City?
And there are indeed lots of things to do in a large City.We even have shops that open on a Saturday lolol.!
Proof will be in the pudding next Saturday when the pollok hordes attend Beechwood [emoji16][emoji106]

Next you will be telling me you have 5 channels on your telly

Archived