Fluid Fans?

And we were formed 108 years ago and player in Pollok Estate, pretty much across the Cart to where we now play. Glasgow has changed slightly over the years....
And if you can walk 3 miles in 20 minutes your running must be world record speed. 

Not changed that much that your still nowhere near playing in pollok [emoji23][emoji23]
I used to live in pollok and it would take around 20 odd mins to walk from the pollok centre to shawlands so maybe I should complete in the next commonwealth games

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Not changed that much that your still nowhere near playing in pollok emoji23.pngemoji23.png
I used to live in pollok and it would take around 20 odd mins to walk from the pollok centre to shawlands so maybe I should complete in the next commonwealth games

The clubs original ground was in Pollok Park as the Maxwell estate granted the club land to play on. The club was 30 years old when we moved to Newlandsfield. I doubt the people who ran the club at the time thought changing the name was an issue. 

The clubs original ground was in Pollok Park as the Maxwell estate granted the club land to play on. The club was 30 years old when we moved to Newlandsfield. I doubt the people who ran the club at the time thought changing the name was an issue. 
An oversight then? Still time to change your name to Pollokshaws Juniors FC

9 hours ago, Ardenvohr6 said:

And Beirut who have a junior team called Auchinleck Talbot. Or is it Auchanleck Tablet?

You really need to get your own patter. Years of Talbot hand me downs have affected your stability.

On 10 February 2018 at 09:06, Isabel Goudie said:

Yes, about 300 of them, are you seriously suggesting the turnout wasn’t around 50-50?

That will be a naw then? 

Ok, here is my take on it. No clubs in the Juniors pull crowds like they once did, too much competition and clubs have a problem getting youngsters interested, therefore the much discussed Pollok home crowd thing is interesting, could be good if other clubs could learn from it, but I think it too particular to Pollok for that to be the case. Pollok have a demographic catchment peculiar to them. They are Glasgow's most high profile Junior club, this and because of where the ground is means their crowd is fluid. It is interesting that 1100 turn out, all be it a derby, a big percentage of that gate must have been neutrals or floaters judging by Arthurlie's support recently. It is also interesting that Pollok do get a boost when Rangers are not playing. Not for a minute saying there is a Pollok Rangers link but it is clear that plenty who go to Ibrox will take in a match in Shawlands should they have no home game. Floaters, fluid, call it what you like but Pollok's home crowd is not mainly made up of die hards and I suggest has a element of drop in when convenient about it, not knocking and wish my club could harness extra bodies like this, but I can't see many other clubs in the Juniors benefiting from this in the same way. 

So, we'll just call them floaters will we? ;)

That will be a naw then? 
Ok, here is my take on it. No clubs in the Juniors pull crowds like they once did, too much competition and clubs have a problem getting youngsters interested, therefore the much discussed Pollok home crowd thing is interesting, could be good if other clubs could learn from it, but I think it too particular to Pollok for that to be the case. Pollok have a demographic catchment peculiar to them. They are Glasgow's most high profile Junior club, this and because of where the ground is means their crowd is fluid. It is interesting that 1100 turn out, all be it a derby, a big percentage of that gate must have been neutrals or floaters judging by Arthurlie's support recently. It is also interesting that Pollok do get a boost when Rangers are not playing. Not for a minute saying there is a Pollok Rangers link but it is clear that plenty who go to Ibrox will take in a match in Shawlands should they have no home game. Floaters, fluid, call it what you like but Pollok's home crowd is not mainly made up of die hards and I suggest has a element of drop in when convenient about it, not knocking and wish my club could harness extra bodies like this, but I can't see many other clubs in the Juniors benefiting from this in the same way. 
So, we'll just call them floaters will we? [emoji6]

You certainly would be able to spot a floater given the shite you’ve put on here recently.

21 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You certainly would be able to spot a floater given the shite you’ve put on here recently.

Touché my learned friend, you on the other hand can always claim eloquent erudite musings? 

The crowd may well have been around 50/50 but that then must mean that all of Auchinlecks home support travels to away games if you look at the crowd last year for the cup replay which was half of that at Newlandsfield.

Polloks gates are meticulously recorded and the average is around 650 every season which is remarkable.So these are fans who come to home fixtures regularly.They don't all travel to every away game but a very good number of them do.

As there is no sense of village community with City clubs and so many other competing activities and distractions there will also be an element of drop in fans who can pick or choose which matches to go to in Glasgow/clubs to follow and what grade from week to week.There will also be bigger crowds for bigger games as with every club and smaller crowds for those with less appeal.

Be nice to have a village mentality all getting behind the one club but that's long gone in Cities where junior football is to a large degree dismissed and indeed laughed at sadly.

9 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

The crowd may well have been around 50/50 but that then must mean that all of Auchinlecks home support travels to away games if you look at the crowd last year for the cup replay which was half of that at Newlandsfield.

Polloks gates are meticulously recorded and the average is around 650 every season which is remarkable.So these are fans who come to home fixtures regularly.They don't all travel to every away game but a very good number of them do.

As there is no sense of village community with City clubs and so many other competing activities and distractions there will also be an element of drop in fans who can pick or choose which matches to go to in Glasgow/clubs to follow and what grade from week to week.There will also be bigger crowds for bigger games as with every club and smaller crowds for those with less appeal.

Be nice to have a village mentality all getting behind the one club but that's long gone in Cities where junior football is to a large degree dismissed and indeed laughed at sadly.

What was the crowd at that replay? 

On 09/02/2018 at 21:48, griffiti on the wall said:

Not changed that much that your still nowhere near playing in pollok emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Jack's basically already said this but in addition, the Pollok scheme wasn't built until the late 1930s, a good few years after Lok had moved to Newlandsfield (in Newlands).

Sir John Stirling Maxwell sold Glasgow Corporation land in 1935 on which the housing area now known as Pollok was built, this land was on the western side of his estate. Pollok's first home was on the eastern side. 

The follow clarifies the origins of the club (which was the footballing section of Pollokshaws Working Lads Club):

"It was no easy task to form a Junior club from scratch, and tribute must be made to all those too numerous to mention who worked so hard to found the club.

The first problem was the essential one of getting a suitable park and through the generosity of the late Sir John Stirling Maxwell, Pollok were allowed the use of an area in Pollok Estate which was known as Haggs Park.

Haggs Park had a fine grass surface, and set in the woodlands of Pollok Estate was the envy of many.

The club paid tribute to Sir John Stirling Maxwell by adopting as the club colours, black and white, these being taken from the heraldic shield of Pollok House."

http://pollokfc.com/history/

The below, from around 1930 (shows newly built Mosspark at the north), shows the approx location of original ground in John Maxwell's Pollok Estate, the present location SE of it and the site of the original Pollok Housing Estate (next to M77, the word Byres is where Damshot Crescent is).

2ec15jl.png

51 minutes ago, Shanner said:

which clubs and how are they fiddling them?

not saying you're wrong btw. 

I imagine most if not all the SPFL average attendances will be accurate, but the ones that always made me laugh are the Highland League ones in the Sunday papers - I sometimes wondered if they just used the winning raffle ticket number instead.

I remember one time the attendance at Fort William v Brora (back when Brora were shite) being given as 160 - I'd been there the day before, and there weren't any more than 30 there.

which clubs and how are they fiddling them?
not saying you're wrong btw. 

Lots of clubs do things from inflating the crowds through sheer lying or count free tickets they’ve given to schools even if no one has come to the game. Others will do things like including the stewards, first aiders etc. Its only limited by your imagination. But many of the clubs on here wouldn’t be keen to show the actual paying customer numbers.
Those average crowds will also be inflated by one off games, say a game against the old firm in a cup etc.
Its not a useful measurement of a clubs actual fan base, take Dumbarton, a club who have a very small fan base but play in the Championship with clubs like St Mirren, Morton and Dundee United which usually bring crowds of 700-1000 away fans, you can see how those 6 gates would inflate the average. Its just not an effective way to measure a clubs home support, what you’d have to do imo is look back over 3/4 years and remove say the 4 highest and lowest attended games for each season to give a more accurate answer.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Lots of clubs do things from inflating the crowds through sheer lying or count free tickets they’ve given to schools even if no one has come to the game. Others will do things like including the stewards, first aiders etc. Its only limited by your imagination. But many of the clubs on here wouldn’t be keen to show the actual paying customer numbers.
Those average crowds will also be inflated by one off games, say a game against the old firm in a cup etc.
Its not a useful measurement of a clubs actual fan base, take Dumbarton, a club who have a very small fan base but play in the Championship with clubs like St Mirren, Morton and Dundee United which usually bring crowds of 700-1000 away fans, you can see how those 6 gates would inflate the average. Its just not an effective way to measure a clubs home support, what you’d have to do imo is look back over 3/4 years and remove say the 4 highest and lowest attended games for each season to give a more accurate answer.

Most quoted averages are league games only. It's still preferable to clubs who don't declare them at all. The biggest flaw with any club's attendance figures is whether or not they include STHs - such as Celtic (who definitely do) and a few other top level clubs. 

Archived