Fluid Fans?

Don't know what Loks average home league crowds are this season but I'm sure Jamie or someone will.Could anyone let us have Talbots so that we can see how they compare?
Talbot have an average of about 500. Pollok, I would estimate 750-800. However that will probably vary depending on the glasgow 2 playing at home or away. Pollok have a good support but are not the hard core supporter fans that most Ayrshire teams have.

Pollok have more local businesses and sugar daddies than most teams. Talbot like Beith, Cumnock and Kilbirnie have built on their success around the club.

Pollok are the South Side Partick Thistle in my opinion

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Harry's Corner said:

Talbot have an average of about 500. Pollok, I would estimate 750-800. However that will probably vary depending on the glasgow 2 playing at home or away. Pollok have a good support but are not the hard core supporter fans that most Ayrshire teams have.

Pollok have more local businesses and sugar daddies than most teams. Talbot like Beith, Cumnock and Kilbirnie have built on their success around the club.

Pollok are the South Side Partick Thistle in my opinion

I don't think whether the OF are playing has much bearing on Pollok's attendances...the vast majority of their support appear to have Pollok as their first and only team. I'm sure I saw in their programme their average  attendance for last season was 650-odd, but that'll obviously include shitey ones like the sectional games or midweeks which will bring the average down.

The main difference between the likes of Pollok and some of the big Ayrshire sides is that if Pollok get to a final or whatever, their regular support will show up, but there aren't too many outside of those that will go - maybe a couple of hundred max over what they'd get for a bog standard game, whereas the small/medium size town sides can potentially see virtually the whole place show up.

Pollok have far and away the highest regular attendances in the Juniors, but can't mobilise hordes of two-or-three-games-a-season types the way the Ayrshire sides can.

21 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I don't think whether the OF are playing has much bearing on Pollok's attendances...the vast majority of their support appear to have Pollok as their first and only team. I'm sure I saw in their programme their average  attendance for last season was 650-odd, but that'll obviously include shitey ones like the sectional games or midweeks which will bring the average down.

The main difference between the likes of Pollok and some of the big Ayrshire sides is that if Pollok get to a final or whatever, their regular support will show up, but there aren't too many outside of those that will go - maybe a couple of hundred max over what they'd get for a bog standard game, whereas the small/medium size town sides can potentially see virtually the whole place show up.

Pollok have far and away the highest regular attendances in the Juniors, but can't mobilise hordes of two-or-three-games-a-season types the way the Ayrshire sides can.

Spot on with your assessment there

As for the term 'fluid fan' if the fluid we are referring to is piss, then the OP is good representation of a fluid fan. 

I don't think whether the OF are playing has much bearing on Pollok's attendances...the vast majority of their support appear to have Pollok as their first and only team. I'm sure I saw in their programme their average  attendance for last season was 650-odd, but that'll obviously include shitey ones like the sectional games or midweeks which will bring the average down. The main difference between the likes of Pollok and some of the big Ayrshire sides is that if Pollok get to a final or whatever, their regular support will show up, but there aren't too many outside of those that will go - maybe a couple of hundred max over what they'd get for a bog standard game, whereas the small/medium size town sides can potentially see virtually the whole place show up.

Fair assumption. My first ever Talbot v Pollok was the 1986 final. I assumed that as the game was in Glasgow and virtually next door to lok a healthy support would show up. I couldn't understand how poor their numbers were. I haven't seen anything since to change my mind when Pollok are playing away day games 

I can't think of anyone I know who's a regular at Newlandsfield that sees Pollok as their second team. Vast majority of people are Pollok only though some do have senior allegiances. Our home support is excellent and seems to be comfortably well over 500 regardless of the opposition, certainly in the league and Scottish. Away support is always very good as well. I think the only place where we don't outnumber the home support is Auchinleck and maybe Beith and Ladeside. 

I've been watching Lok since the late 90s and the lowest competitive fixture gate I can recall in those 20 years or so was 199 midweek v Neilston in the Sectional. I don't have this season's figures to hand but co-incidentally had already requested them earleir this week for the website. Whatever the average currently is, the hardcore is not less than that of some Ayrshire clubs as alluded to up the thread. With rare exceptions, you will always have 250+ at Newlandsfield supporting Lok, with the regulars but not diehards taking that well over 500 on most occasions. A significant proportion of the regulars and hardcore will go home and away.

I've been watching Lok since the late 90s and the lowest competitive fixture gate I can recall in those 20 years or so was 199 midweek v Neilston in the Sectional. I don't have this season's figures to hand but co-incidentally had already requested them earleir this week for the website. Whatever the average currently is, the hardcore is not less than that of some Ayrshire clubs as alluded to up the thread. With rare exceptions, you will always have 250+ at Newlandsfield supporting Lok, with the regulars but not diehards taking that well over 500 on most occasions. A significant proportion of the regulars and hardcore will go home and away.
Sorry to disagree but I've never seen a large pollok travelling support at Talbot on any occasion.

1 hour ago, Harry's Corner said:
2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Sorry to disagree but I've never seen a large pollok travelling support at Talbot on any occasion.

I agree Harry,watching Talbot for 40 years or so i cant ever recall Pollok having a healthy away support at Beechwood.Try a  rough head count in the upcoming cup tie and i'll be surprised if more than fifty travel from their tenements,bearing in mind that roughly 250 Talbot fans attended Newlandsfield for recent league game would suggest that  we have one of the best travelling support in junior football.Can any Talbot posters recall largest away support they have seen at Beechwood?

The biggest travelling support I have seen at Glencairn's ground was unquestionably Auchinleck Talbot for the Scottish Junior Cup semi final in 2003. the crowd was over 1100 that day (pictured), I would estimate that Talbot brought about 800 of them.

The next biggest would probably be Bo'ness United for the 5th round tie in 2014, and then probably a cup tie in 2010 against Cambuslang Rangers which attracted over 500 fans, probably roughly a 50/50 split that day.

Bo'ness were with us last Saturday as well for a 4th round tie and, while they did bring a healthy support, it was nowhere near the crowd they brought in 2014.

None of the more local teams like Pollok or Clydebank have brought anything near Talbot's or Bo'ness' crowd to our ground.

Auchinleck Talbot.JPG

Have to disagree..Lok easily take a good couple of hundred to Beechwood every time and will do so again in the upcoming cup tie.The even more bizarre fact was that the last time we met in the Scottish in 2016  the gate at Beechwood for the replay was not far off  half the gate at Newlandsfield the week before!That day the home support was pretty sparse.

However let's see hard evidence-what actually is Auchinlecks average home gate based on the actual crowds?Surely someone has this information.

Have to disagree..Lok easily take a good couple of hundred to Beechwood every time and will do so again in the upcoming cup tie.The even more bizarre fact was that the last time we met in the Scottish in 2016  the gate at Beechwood for the replay was not far off  half the gate at Newlandsfield the week before!That day the home support was pretty sparse.
However let's see hard evidence-what actually is Auchinlecks average home gate based on the actual crowds?Surely someone has this information.
Where is Loks hard evidence? As I have already said we average approx 500 where you are approx 800.
Considering this is a healthy support for both sides. However Pollok are not known for bringing a big support. I'll be surprised if they bring more than 50 fans to this game.

Where is Loks hard evidence? As I have already said we average approx 500 where you are approx 800.
Considering this is a healthy support for both sides. However Pollok are not known for bringing a big support. I'll be surprised if they bring more than 50 fans to this game.

I know a man who could supply crowd sizes [emoji41]

15 hours ago, superpollok said:

Spot on with your assessment there

As for the term 'fluid fan' if the fluid we are referring to is piss, then the OP is good representation of a fluid fan. 

15 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

There was, quite rightly, a lot of comment on the recent Pollok Arthurlie Derby getting 1100, without doubt an excellent turnout. However, on Saturday it looked as if there were as many Talbot fans at the match as Pollok, which is IMHO not unusual for this fixture at Pollok. At just over 700 and if you take into account neutrals, there could only have been 300 or so Pollok fans at the game. So, where do they go, who makes up the difference in other games, are they fluid? It will be interesting to see how many turn up at Beechwood in Lok colours next week.

3 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

I agree Harry,watching Talbot for 40 years or so i cant ever recall Pollok having a healthy away support at Beechwood.Try a  rough head count in the upcoming cup tie and i'll be surprised if more than fifty travel from their tenements,bearing in mind that roughly 250 Talbot fans attended Newlandsfield for recent league game would suggest that  we have one of the best travelling support in junior football.Can any Talbot posters recall largest away support they have seen at Beechwood?

Bo'ness and Bonnyrigg had very good numbers, noisy as well!

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
1 hour ago, Lokloyal said:

They usually average around 300 more than any other clubs given crowds.

Teams don't get the crowds they once got, however Pollok, Talbot, Linlithgow, Bo'ness  still get good crowds.

1 hour ago, Isabel Goudie said:

There was, quite rightly, a lot of comment on the recent Pollok Arthurlie Derby getting 1100, without doubt an excellent turnout. However, on Saturday it looked as if there were as many Talbot fans at the match as Pollok, which is IMHO not unusual for this fixture at Pollok. At just over 700 and if you take into account neutrals, there could only have been 300 or so Pollok fans at the game. So, where do they go, who makes up the difference in other games, are they fluid? It will be interesting to see how many turn up at Beechwood in Lok colours next week.

And how can the average be 600 plus most seasons.Do the missing 3 or 400 just stay away from the Talbot fixture ?

Lok record and verify all ticket numbers which are then logged by the gatechecker,treasurer and President.I know because I have helped on the gates many times.I presume Talbot have the same or a similar system which will vouch home gates.

Archived