Frasier

The Minertaur

Awoke this morning to the sad news of the death of John Mahoney.  The old Frasier thread seems to have been lost on here so what better way to get a new thread started than paying tribute to Martin Crane?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/02/05/frasier-legend-john-mahoney-dies-aged-77/

Great show with a fantastic cast.  TV's greatest spin off and possibly greatest ever sitcom?

martin.thumb.jpg.e828746bfa6d24659a66f591711a10a3.jpg

Edited by The Minertaur

7 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Awoke this morning to the sad news of the death of John Mahoney.  The old Frasier thread seems to have been lost on here so what better way to get a new thread started than paying tribute to Martin Crane?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/02/05/frasier-legend-john-mahoney-dies-aged-77/

Great show with a fantastic cast.  TV's greatest spin off and possibly greatest ever sitcom?

martin.thumb.jpg.e828746bfa6d24659a66f591711a10a3.jpg

Crack a Ballantine in his memory.

32A8296C-0831-495A-B3C9-AC0372D3BFEC.jpeg

Edited by Antlion

If I had to nominate a favourite TV show, Frasier would be as likely as any, and Martin was my favourite character.

"Oh, but this is a party. I, uh, I... art all the time"  :lol:

Frasier is sitting at the breakfast table, eating while Eddie stares at him. Frasier complains to Martin.

"Dad! He's staring at me! Make him stop!"

"Just ignore him"

"I can't!"

"I wasn't talking to you!" :lol:

14 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Sad news.

Didn't realise he was only 77 though. They managed to make him look much older on the show, considering the show was on about 10-15 years ago?

It's a cracking show, up there with Seinfeld as my top 2 favourites sitcoms.

He was less than 15 years older than Kelsey Grammer, only 52 when the series began.

40 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Frasier is a fantastic show. I watched one on Friday for the first time in ages - the one where the new station boss is gay and Frasier tries to set him up with Daphne. Tears of laughter. 

The Matchmaker was probably the first time I can ever remember watching the show.  The 2 minute spell with Niles finding out that Tom is gay followed up by Martin laughing off camera to the brothers in the hall discussing what's going on.

"There's something I have to tell you. Dad wanted to, but I won the coin toss." :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I think my favourite Marty moment was when Frasier had the artist in for an unveiling party only for said artist to loudly deny painting the picture Frasier had bought in front of all his guests.

Up pops Marty with the line "... and you thought I was going to embarrass you.":lol:

Some of the episodes where everything is going horribly wrong all around them and people keep walking in and out of the apartment (be it Niles' or Frasier's) are genuiely among the greatest scenes to ever grace television.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of the one where Niles plays Jesus in the nativity play and Frasier's girlfriend's Jewish mother is round.  Niles is hiding in the bathroom and eventually comes face to face with the mother.

Also, the one where they are having a party at Marris' house and they all think Niles killed her because he's dumping the seal corpse into the ocean.

And the murder mystery one

And the one where they all get massages

Not watched it in years so can't remember the details of them all but will need to get it binged

On 3/2/2018 at 16:44, paul-r-cfc said:

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of the one where Niles plays Jesus in the nativity play and Frasier's girlfriend's Jewish mother is round.  Niles is hiding in the bathroom and eventually comes face to face with the mother.

The scene where Niles walks in dressed as JC and Frasier just screams "JESUS" has me laughing to myself at work.  Fantastic scene.

I absolutely love the ep where they're at the ski lodge.

Had to look it up on IMDB and, helpfully, the episode is called The Ski Lodge.

[following an embarrassing series of romantic misunderstandings that has seen everyone chase everyone else]

Frasier: Wait, wait, wait. Let me see if I've got this straight. All the lust coursing through this lodge tonight, all the hormones virtually ricocheting off the walls, and no one... was chasing me?

[there is an embarrassed pause from everyone]

Frasier: See you at breakfast.

44 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I absolutely love the ep where they're at the ski lodge.

Had to look it up on IMDB and, helpfully, the episode is called The Ski Lodge.

[following an embarrassing series of romantic misunderstandings that has seen everyone chase everyone else]

Frasier: Wait, wait, wait. Let me see if I've got this straight. All the lust coursing through this lodge tonight, all the hormones virtually ricocheting off the walls, and no one... was chasing me?

[there is an embarrassed pause from everyone]

Frasier: See you at breakfast.

My fiancee didn't want to watch Frasier as it was "shit my Mum watched" when she was younger.  I told her to try it just for one episode and see what she thought and of course ti was this episode.

We've watched every episode since. 

I've just remembered the Patrick Stewart episode as well :lol:

David Hyde Pierce has numerous moments of genuine laugh-out-loud slapstick, probably the best of which is when irons his trousers, cuts his finger, faints and sets fire to Frasier's sofa.

Also subtle things like when Daphne snogs him when they are sitting at the piano, the doorbell rings, he looks down and says to Daphne "can you get that?"

The episode where people are in fancy dress.

Gil: Oh my!  What a delectable medley of fromagean splendor!  You 
         must try one.
 Martin: [tries one] Mmm, cheesy.
    Gil: Mmm, yes.  "Cheesy"—the mot juste.  It must be glorious to 
         have such a happy knack for clarity and concision.
 Martin: Yep.  So who're you suppose to be?
    Gil: Chingatchkook — I'm the Last of the Mohicans!
 Martin: Oh!  Well... that little mystery solved.

• 1 month later...

tfrasier is without doubt my favourite sitcom of all time. didnt realise JM was only 52 when recording started. he played the role brilliantly.

have to give mention to the episode when the bird attaches itself to niles head as hes attempting to host a dinner party. so many genuinely laugh out loud moments