Motherwell vs St Johnstone 6/2/18

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Last night seemed to be a low key "must win" given we've still got Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic to play in the run in to the split so it's nice that happened to ease a bit of pressure and give us a bit of a gap.

See, tbf, I realise this is absolutely setting us up for a fall, but given the rest of what you've said (and what we see on the park), I'm quite happy to go into games as underdogs. Defensively we're pretty sound. Tackling Tommy Aldred has slotted right in, Dunne has come on to a right game, Kipre is the fuckin BEST, Hartley is still around... We're defensively okay, and if we can get anything out of Hendrie we can revert to Tait and Cadden on the right hand side, Frear coming back, we're back to options again. 

If we need to go and play on the counter, I'm pretty happy with that, and fancy us to cause at least a single 'upset', with Main and Ciftci firing, and presumably Bowman to return too. On the counter might suit us better, tbh.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

See, tbf, I realise this is absolutely setting us up for a fall, but given the rest of what you've said (and what we see on the park), I'm quite happy to go into games as underdogs. Defensively we're pretty sound. Tackling Tommy Aldred has slotted right in, Dunne has come on to a right game, Kipre is the fuckin BEST, Hartley is still around... We're defensively okay, and if we can get anything out of Hendrie we can revert to Tait and Cadden on the right hand side, Frear coming back, we're back to options again. 

If we need to go and play on the counter, I'm pretty happy with that, and fancy us to cause at least a single 'upset', with Main and Ciftci firing, and presumably Bowman to return too. On the counter might suit us better, tbh.

100% agree. I'm absolutely fine going into games as underdog, we've already beaten Aberdeen twice, Rangers once and drawn with Celtic. There's no reason we can't get something out them but at the same time I wouldn't want to be going into them as "must win" games, especially Celtic and Rangers B2B directly before the split. If we get the points on the board from games like that last night then we can go into those games and just batter folk having a lovely old time.

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100% agree. I'm absolutely fine going into games as underdog, we've already beaten Aberdeen twice, Rangers once and drawn with Celtic. There's no reason we can't get something out them but at the same time I wouldn't want to be going into them as "must win" games, especially Celtic and Rangers B2B directly before the split. If we get the points on the board from games like that last night then we can go into those games and just batter folk having a lovely old time.

We're at the same points level now as we were at the split last season - two months ahead of schedule.  IMO we're only five or six points away from safety this season.  And if we do end up in the bottom six, I fancy us to do better than the dire performance post-split last season. How we avoided relegation was a modern footballing miracle with guys like Jules in our team. 

We're doing fine. 

4 minutes ago, WellView said:

We're at the same points level now as we were at the split last season - two months ahead of schedule.  IMO we're only five or six points away from safety this season.  And if we do end up in the bottom six, I fancy us to do better than the dire performance post-split last season. How we avoided relegation was a modern footballing miracle with guys like Jules in our team. 

We're doing fine. 

I surprised myself by remembering that Jules scored for us last night. I mean, he was absolutely humpty, but that header proved kind of crucial in the end.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I surprised myself by remembering that Jules scored for us last night. I mean, he was absolutely humpty, but that header proved kind of crucial in the end.

When someone says 'that header' and 'Zac Jules' it's not the winner at Rugby Park that I first think of.

I remember how chuffed all the players were for him too when he scored so he must have been a decent sort. I like to imagine it was the same sort of chuffed as they were when Lasley's kid scored at his testimonial.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

When someone says 'that header' and 'Zac Jules' it's not the winner at Rugby Park that I first think of.

In no way do I blame you for that, but in hindsight, that goal was massive. Look forward to him signing for Accies in 2019/20.

45 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

McGhee's final gift to the club, thanks for that, Mark.  For all his many faults,  all grounded in the fact that he's a bumptious ball-headed balloon, at least he didn't lower himself to going nuts at players for being held up by a fatal crash. 

Tommy Wright proves the theory - you can do a hundred things right but you'll always be remembered for the one time you were a total w**k. 

Then again, him moaning about booking a hotel the night before the Aberdeen game was another w**k indicator.  I can see an idea for a good thread germinating - the stupidest things said by a Scottish football manager.  I'll go start it now.  

McGhee's final gift to the club, thanks for that, Mark.  For all his many faults,  all grounded in the fact that he's a bumptious ball-headed balloon, at least he didn't lower himself to going nuts at players for being held up by a fatal crash. 
Tommy Wright proves the theory - you can do a hundred things right but you'll always be remembered for the one time you were a total w**k. 

The thing is, when we signed Jules on loan, most people thought it was a promising signing. Scotland U-21, big and powerful- sounds good. How were we to know?

As manager though, maybe McGhee should have known.

1 hour ago, WellView said:

We're doing fine. 

Given that the Dens Park league game in a couple of weeks will be the corresponding weekend to the McGhee's nadir against the same opposition last season - it will be interesting to compare our points but also the squad we have now compared to then. One look at our current goalkeeper and defence compared to then would be enough to show that we've er, slightly, improved the squad.

Had a look at the first goal again from last night (it's from 5:07 on the highlights) and so much you can pick up on. It's our throw, with no one showing for it and, in my eyes, Foster is far too advanced on the near side.

Kerr tries to force the throw and it's easily cut out but Willock manages to win the second ball although it just goes back to Motherwell. At that point, all three of our central midfielders are between Rose and our goal and two of them the right side of Campbell.

Plays moves on three seconds but Alston hasn't moved from the spot he was standing in ahead of the throw. By now, Rose is in at least 10 yards of space. Foster is bursting a gut to get back but heads towards the ball rather than anticipating that Rose might be the danger. Campbell is still behind Willock and Davidson.

By the time Foster slows down Main we are in big trouble, Rose free on the overlap and Campbell ahead of our midfield. When Rose gets the ball, I think Kerr is the man that needs to realise Campbell is the problem but he isn't awareness until too late.

Good execution by Motherwell but basics like retaining the ball from a throw and then simple desire to get back is lacking from Saints. Alston was probably still in the opposition half...

9 hours ago, tree house tam said:

You seen the 5 games before the split you boys have?

You better hope you're well clear of the pack by then :lol:

Already looking at other teams fixtures.. you really are entering the knicker wetting stage.

Archived