The Official SNP Deputy Leadership Thread

invergowrie arab

27 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

It's people like this that I simply don't get.  If there was a referendum anytime soon, Yes would lose again.  Statistics though, suggest time is on Yes's side.  In that case, wait as long as possible.  Another No vote in the next couple of years would kill independence for two decades at least.

And we'll definitely get a majority of pro-independence parties in the next parly term?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

And we'll definitely get a majority of pro-independence parties in the next parly term?

Independence is favoured by the majority of people bar pensioners.  Time is on its side.  There's no rush for indyref2 and from what I can see, as of yet, no demand for it.

1 minute ago, Highland Capital said:

Independence is favoured by the majority of people bar pensioners.  Time is on its side.  There's no rush for indyref2 and from what I can see, as of yet, no demand for it.

I take your point, however, I don't think time is that kind. For example, the loss of the pro-Indy majority in 2021 puts the issue at least 5 years down the line, and then, any change in (for example) the policy of the Green party towards Independence (it isn't their raison d'etre, their current personnel just happen to support it) would raise the bar back to another improbable SNP majority. So the electoral math on being able to command the authority to ask for one is pretty murky on that alone. There is also the opportunity, post Brexit for retrenchment by the British state to be able to draw back powers from Holyrood, and pass laws to make it far harder for a referendum to happen. Finally, the effect of Brexit both economically and socially could have the impact - once "Global Britain" is nice and isolated of making Independence a harder sell (independence with a pre existing relationship to Europe removes a lot of practical barriers)

I think it is, if not now, then before 2021. That is the last opportunity to put a firm date on it, anything beyond that is not even educated guesswork.

That if you don't mind me saying that is crap. Time is NOT on our side, as westminster are the most devious b*****ds that ever abused colonies. I read today that someone has printed off the facts about the abysmal pensions that are given in our precious, precious union, and got them into the hands of a load of pensioners in Sutherland, and he has reported that the truth being presented straight to the oldies, and not shrouded in BBC outright lies has done the trick. The natives are now restless and starting to doubt the rest of the shite the MSM have been telling them for years. The indyref2 must announced very soon and in my opinion done and dusted by this October

6 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

. I read today that someone has printed off the facts about the abysmal pensions that are given in our precious, precious union, and got them into the hands of a load of pensioners in Sutherland, and he has reported that the truth being presented straight to the oldies, and not shrouded in BBC outright lies has done the trick. The natives are now restless and starting to a the rest of the shite the MSM have been telling them for years. 

This is huge if true.

Does Nicola Sturgeon know?

8 hours ago, renton said:

I take your point, however, I don't think time is that kind. For example, the loss of the pro-Indy majority in 2021 puts the issue at least 5 years down the line, and then, any change in (for example) the policy of the Green party towards Independence (it isn't their raison d'etre, their current personnel just happen to support it) would raise the bar back to another improbable SNP majority. So the electoral math on being able to command the authority to ask for one is pretty murky on that alone. There is also the opportunity, post Brexit for retrenchment by the British state to be able to draw back powers from Holyrood, and pass laws to make it far harder for a referendum to happen. Finally, the effect of Brexit both economically and socially could have the impact - once "Global Britain" is nice and isolated of making Independence a harder sell (independence with a pre existing relationship to Europe removes a lot of practical barriers)

I think it is, if not now, then before 2021. That is the last opportunity to put a firm date on it, anything beyond that is not even educated guesswork.

I concur and whats more..people will wonder why on earth we haven't pursued the mandate already secured but as regards exactly when...FM stated quite clearly 'once Brexit terms have/have not been agreed' so that the SG are in full possession of the terms of the deal. 

15 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

That if you don't mind me saying that is crap. Time is NOT on our side, as westminster are the most devious b*****ds that ever abused colonies. I read today that someone has printed off the facts about the abysmal pensions that are given in our precious, precious union, and got them into the hands of a load of pensioners in Sutherland, and he has reported that the truth being presented straight to the oldies, and not shrouded in BBC outright lies has done the trick. The natives are now restless and starting to doubt the rest of the shite the MSM have been telling them for years. The indyref2 must announced very soon and in my opinion done and dusted by this October

Well thank goodness Bob (no offence Bob) isn't one of Nicola's SPAD's.

15 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

Please explain for the hard of thinking

Simply that I agree with the FM that no decision re. INDYREF2  should be made before all the terms (or none ) are understood.I DO  agree with you,however, that in any event, we cannot let the current mandate  expire (as per Pete Wishart) when there is no guarantee we will secure a majority..or even support from the Greens @ 2021 elections. Never forget..the YES Campaign started at 28% and concluded at 45%....YES is solid @45% despite the Panelbase poll..I suspect you know that.SO....what a fantastic platform we kick-on from......whats not to like?

21 hours ago, renton said:

I get a lot of what you say and I'm not saying we should put off calling one for decades.  I get the impression we're all a bit referendumed out at the moment and if another independence referendum was called soon it'd be met with absolute apathy.  2020 should be the minimum to really start seriously considering calling one again IMO.

23 hours ago, Colkitto said:

If they lost that majority, it'd be a pretty good pointer to how a referendum would go. Rushing to a referendum for that reason would be nothing short of disgraceful. 

Archived