Post split fixtures

I like the split and have always accepted sometimes you lose out but it's hard to take that the club will lose out on a potentially big crowd against Dundee, when it could easily have been avoided. The aim, where practical, should always be to switch as few games as is necessary, whilst maintaining integrity in relegation, European and title battles.

Does sending County to Dundee again rather than Perth really jeopardise that? It doesn't at all in this situation IMO.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearts releasing a statement :D

ollowing on from today’s post-split fixture announcement, the club would like to explain why Hearts has been allocated three away fixtures.

In an ideal world, each team would complete 19 home and 19 away league fixtures per season. Due to the structure of the league, however, this is not always possible. Depending upon which teams are in the top and bottom sections of the split, the situation can arise which causes an imbalance.

In order to make the best of this less than perfect situation, some broad guidelines are followed in setting post-split fixtures. In simple terms, where an imbalance is inevitable, “mid-table” teams (clubs in positions 5,6,7 and 8) are those that potentially lose out by having an uneven split of home and away games across the full season (i.e. 18 home/20 away). This recognises that the top 4 teams are potentially fighting for top spot or to secure a place in Europe, and the bottom 4 teams may well be fighting to avoid relegation/play-offs.

While unacceptable, it is felt to be the “least unacceptable” option.

Hearts currently occupies 6th place in the Ladbrokes Premiership, behind Kilmarnock in 5th. It is the club’s understanding that Kilmarnock was disadvantaged in the post-split fixtures during the 2014/15 season. Again, in an effort to be as fair as possible to all clubs, previous imbalances are taken into account when determining the fixtures. Hearts are, therefore, unfortunately in the position of having to play three of the remaining five matches away from home.

Whilst the club is disappointed about this situation, it is a consequence of the inherently imbalanced system that the SPFL clubs have elected to operate.

Now that the fixtures have been announced, there are two very exciting games to look forward to at Tynecastle Park. Celtic will once again visit Gorgie, and the last home encounter still lives fresh in the memory of everyone who witnessed it that day; a resounding 4-0 victory to bring the champions’ 19-month unbeaten run to an end. Add to that another Edinburgh derby against Hibernian, and there are two massive games to see out the season.

The impressive 2-0 win over Aberdeen last weekend was a step towards finishing the season on a high. Once again, the backing from the stands was second to none. Tickets for the final two home games will go on sale at 9am tomorrow and the club looks forward to packing out Tynecastle Park on both occasions. The club cannot understate how much the first-team continues to appreciate the support they receive from the fans, as they bid to go undefeated since returning home in November.

14 minutes ago, Radford said:

I like the split and have always accepted sometimes you lose out but it's hard to take that the club will lose out on a potentially big crowd against Dundee, when it could easily have been avoided. The aim, where practical, should always be to switch as few games as is necessary, whilst maintaining integrity in relegation, European and title battles.

Does sending County to Dundee again rather than Perth really jeopardise that? It doesn't at all in this situation IMO.

It seems a very strange decision and out of step with the usual procedure which is to minimise the number of fixture changes.

This set of fixtures has 3 changes (all St Johnstone games) instead of the set that everyone on here expected with Thistle going to Perth and Ross County to Dundee.

After all of the pr*cking about trying to make sure that there is no Celtic/Rangers title decider, and it wouldn’t be a title decider if Rangers won it anyway, no idea why the Celtic/Rangers match is scheduled as the second match. Hibs beating Celtic at Easter Road is more than likely, and if Rangers win  at home to Hearts , or Aberdeen beat a Killie and Hearts, they’re in the same position. Madness.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Interesting to see Hearts get the short straw and have to visit Ibrox for a third time. They've never had an uneven split of home/away games in the past but will now, whereas Aberdeen and Hibs are both 'up' by a 20/18 split each, but neither of these imbalances have been rectified by the fixtures. I can see the argument that Hearts aren't involved in the race for second place like Aberdeen and Hibs but would be somewhat disappointed in the circumstances given both sides' historical advantages.

The arrangements for the bottom six are downright bizarre. Thistle going to Perth for a third time was obvious, but the additional changes for St Johnstone are unnecessarily convoluted. Not complaining, as we have the advantage of 20 home games to finally make amends for our 18/20 split in 2009/10, but the 19/19 split for all other teams could also have been achieved by sending Ross County to Dundee instead of switching two additional St Johnstone games.

Interesting to see that Hamilton get Patrick and County their first two games - we get Saints and Motherwell - those matches could go anyway - will for once want Accies to win both and us to do the business - that could effectively put both Accies and ourselves out of the relegation fight.

Worst case is that after two matches their could be just a few points separating the bottom 4.

5 minutes ago, Bushel o' Bricks said:

Interesting to see Hearts get the short straw and have to visit Ibrox for a third time. They've never had an uneven split of home/away games in the past but will now, whereas Aberdeen and Hibs are both 'up' by a 20/18 split each, but neither of these imbalances have been rectified by the fixtures. I can see the argument that Hearts aren't involved in the race for second place like Aberdeen and Hibs but would be somewhat disappointed in the circumstances given both sides' historical advantages.

They've bent over backwards for Hearts in other ways over the years, including this season. This is a just outcome that makes logical sense under the circumstances.

5 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

They've bent over backwards for Hearts in other ways over the years

I don't especially care about the fixtures as clearly I won't be going to any games, but this intrigues me. Go on...

1 minute ago, JamieThomas said:

I don't especially care as clearly I won't be going to any games, but this intrigues me. Go on...

Well for starters, they allowed Hearts to play at Murrayfield and didn't cap allocation numbers. They've been very lenient towards Hearts over the years over planning applications. Also allowing Hearts off the hook for hazards with their old stand. Not to mention Hearts irresponsible financial antics that left many small companies out of pocket, including several clubs that generally went unpunished. Hearts have been given a free ride over the years and can't rely complain about something that won't really have any impact of then anyway.

Archived