Livvy v League Leaders 17.2.18

Grim stuff yesterday, the first few minutes aside. We looked so dangerous and were cutting through Livi like a hot knife through butter in the opening stages, and were rewarded with the goal. It looked like a straightforward afternoon from that point on and then Samson gifts them a way back into it. I appreciate that goalkeepers will make mistakes but it's such a horrific lapse in judgement. He should have dropped back 5 yards inside his box to allow Baird to knock the ball back to him rather than going full-on Forest Gump.  Awful. 

Two great finishes from Hardie and Miller put the hosts in the driving seat out of nowhere and we're left chasing the game. 

Shouts to David Hopkin who got his tactics absolutely spot on. In the first game at the pasta bowl I felt Livingston were perhaps a bit naive in that they played lovely football but looked a bit toothless. Hopkin had clearly been watching our game against Dunfermline last month where we desperately struggled to compete physically.  We were outfought for near enough the entire match but I think the hosts were a tad fortunate the game was officiated by someone who tried to let niggly fouls go. As much as I think we were denied a clear penalty in the first half, the tug on Morgan's shirt was the sort of thing that Muir had been waving away throughout the game. 

At 3-1 I did always feel we could get something, as poor as we were. If Hippolyte's chance goes in then anything would have been possible, but another shocker from Samson gifts Livi the fourth and imprints a further dent in our goal difference. I didn't really see the handball penalty shout and haven't seen the highlights yet, but the players seemed pretty adamant at the time. 

Not the end of the world but when we lose we do tend to in style, which in a strange way I'm glad that we do, as when we play well we generally win. And for the most part, we've been playing brilliantly. Hopefully just a blip and a huge opportunity to get back to winning ways at home to Brechin next week.

***Crowdwank alert*** What a support we had through yesterday to the tune of 1780. A huge vocal backing outnumbering the home support by roughly two to one. No audible boos at half time or full time, and applauded the team off after a hiding. That's the real quiz. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be curious to think what Dundee Utd fans think of today's result. Does it give them a faint glimmer of hope for the title or make fears of an extra play off place or even falling out of them altogether?

15 hours ago, LiviBoy2603 said:

My video on today’s match.

Never good losing a game, especially to your nearest rivals, but great video.

Always good to see youngsters having a passion for their local team rather than being tempted by the OF.

Glad you enjoyed the game, and hope Livvy and Saints both go up.

1 hour ago, BIG BEN said:

I'd be curious to think what Dundee Utd fans think of today's result. Does it give them a faint glimmer of hope for the title or make fears of an extra play off place or even falling out of them altogether?

I'd contend this is a worse defeat for United than it is for us! Not only does it put a gap between them and Livi but it gives the team a good shock in order to ward off complacency - especially important as we play them in less than a fortnight. The least the United fans could hope for is maybe an injury to a key player on a heavy pitch against an aggressive team, but even there we lucked out a little. All in all, a dreadful result for United on a day they weren't even playing.

And who do United play next?

If we beat Utd next week then I think Morton could get 3rd spot, it is a huge game for both of us on Friday, more so for Utd.

Disagree with fraser smfc's post above, I thought Livi started well too, and we'd had a couple of attacks on St Mirren's goal before they scored, was pretty even looking game and  a scrappy goal, but yes, I did feel we were going to go downhill from there after seeing us lose 3-1 in our last 2 encounters.  Having Ryan Hardie certainly made the difference this time though, our first goal was very similar to our opener against Dumbarton a few weeks back, our players know a long ball up in his direction gives Hardie the opportunity to pressure defenders into mistakes, and that he thrives on mistakes. From that moment on it gave me belief we were going to win this game, although I never quite relaxed till the 4th goal went in.

3 hours ago, BIG BEN said:

I am pleased with yesterdays result tbh. 

Saints have been frightening in terms of their consistency, and it is good to see them falter a bit, and by all accounts were bullied all over the park. This could give other teams confidence and a method/gameplay to perhaps take points from them.

We still have 2 games in hand over Livi, so hopefully we can take enough from those to get our noses in front of them, and 3 over Saints, as well as having to play both.

True, there is no real evidence to show that we can string a good run together at the moment, but if we do, starting with any kind of win on Friday, then it will be game on. How we have used our downtime will be vital in terms of this.

Obviously it still looks grim for us, and of course i’d rather we were in Saints’ position, but hey, if we win our games in hand and beat Saints at Tannadice, it’s back to 2.

I should poss change my name to either Optomistic Arab or Deluded Arab, but I reckon Livi beating Saints is good for us.......

Let me start by saying this post isn't intending to take anything away from Livvy's performance - and some great finishes - but...

Having looked at the available footage, the four goals were truly dreadful defending.

A punt through the middle, and two long throws in to the box, led to the first three - you cannot expect to win games if you can't defend against those kind of things.

The fourth was just bizarre, but I'd put that mistake down to us being so late in the game and somehow needing to find two goals, and McGinn not wanting to just clear the ball for a throw.

Our defending has been pretty solid for most of this season, so hopefully this is a blip.

After our last defeat we won 8 and drew 1 in the next 9.

I'd take that again :P!

4 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

another shocker from Samson gifts Livi the fourth and imprints a further dent in our goal difference. 

You can't lay the blame for that goal on Samson. Awful from McGinn.

Had to rush to Glasgow for my mates 21st straight after the game so this is the first time I've got home. I fucking love this team always giving everything they've got. Yesterday was result of the season. Fantastic.

Also hats off to the St Murn support who came in numbers and got behind their team from start to end no matter how bad the shagging got, except from Jack Ross who was a bitter Fanny in the 3-1 at Paisley so I hope Hopkin made him cry.

23 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

There weren’t many, but the one your number 23 did on Morgan in the first half was absolutely mental. 

Morgan managed to jump out of the way, but if he’d not shat it and taken the ball in, he’d most likely have ended up with  a very bad injury.

I was astonished when the ref didn’t even give a foul. Wild, at speed, reckless.

So Morgan shat himself out a 50/50?

Jack Ross is a Fanny
He wears a fanny's hat

He could have went to Barnsley
But he said no f**k that

Then he went to Livi
Thought it would be a stroll

Sent back to Paisley crying
When Robbo got his goal

He conducted himself well during the game yesterday, and his post match comments are fine too, dunno what his deal was at Paisley when he ran over to Hoppy celebrating one of their goals, and Hoppy was just looking bemused at his antics.

One of the other guys in the technical area was getting wound up after the game by some young lads in front of me, was quite funny the state he was getting in and the lads holding up 4-1 with their fingers to him, then Ross got hold of him and dragged him away.

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

So Morgan shat himself out a 50/50?

He saw a wild reckless tackle coming towards him and got out of the way of it.

Crazy tackle to make in a nothing area of the pitch.

I’m not of the macho school that thinks a player risk serious injury over nothing. Morgan did the right thing.

54 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

He saw a wild reckless tackle coming towards him and got out of the way of it.

Crazy tackle to make in a nothing area of the pitch.

I’m not of the macho school that thinks a player risk serious injury over nothing. Morgan did the right thing.

Yeah pity Pitman and Halkett didn't see the tackles that left them needing treatment coming, wasn't a dirty game but those tackles by Hippo and Mullen were as bad as any in the game, and Mullen got booked for his. Rafa got a booking later on for a trip on a St Mirren player but the ref indicated it was on top of a couple of other fouls he'd done.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

This is a harsh reminder that we have won f'ck all yet.

Livi are having an absolute belter of a season.

Hopefully well timed, from that point of view. 

What if we'd played terribly but scraped a draw, or just lost 1-0 - lessons might not have been learned. There's no mistaking what went wrong at the weekend (only looking at our performance - Livi played very well). We just look too lightweight sometimes. 

@Young gun - you mentioned the jinx thing and it was too raw on Saturday to comment, but would you like to know the last time I saw Saints win a league game in the flesh?! 1999, 3-2 vs Morton. :(

Some of the worst examples include Pittodrie away (from Newcastle) - 16 hour round trip, pumped 4-0 (that c**t Miller scored two that day, too). I also saw us leading 2-1 away to Hearts, who went down to 10 men and still beat us 5-2. I really need to stay away! That trip cost me about £90 on Saturday. The singing was good, though.

Edit: crowdwank alert - that really is a great away support. I've circled the best looking guy there.

v3s20Lp.jpg

Archived