Queens v Morton

On 17/02/2018 at 22:51, Monkey Tennis said:

I never said it was a foot over the line. 

However, I'm still seething.  In fact, I'm still mad at the linesman and would continue to insult him if I saw him now. 

It was extremely close, but not in.

And why would you insult him for doing his job and getting the decision 100% right aye ok.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/02/2018 at 18:51, Dunning1874 said:

If that counter attack had resulted in a Morton goal it would have been all over shite football banter accounts on twitter for decades.

The camera work from the highlights actually enhances the potential scenes with the quick zoom out from the celebrations to Morton in the box. It captures the sheer chaos of the situation so well . Award winning filmography imo.

The incident made me forget how much I actually enjoyed that game. Both teams went for it in the second half and it really could have went either way.

Harkins' pass for the Morton goal was excellent. Our first though. Just beautiful. 9 passes before the finish - take note Gary, our players are capable of passing.

All it needed for the perfect day and a metaphor for Scottish football would have been for Morton to have scored 10 seconds after Gaston was clawing the ball out from under the bar.  incidentally is it the linesman's job to tell players that the game hasn't stopped? It really would have made it even funnier if the entire Queens team had been piled on to Dobbie near the half way line while Gaston sprinted the length of the pitch and put the ball in the net.  With his head.

All it needed for the perfect day and a metaphor for Scottish football would have been for Morton to have scored 10 seconds after Gaston was clawing the ball out from under the bar.  incidentally is it the linesman's job to tell players that the game hasn't stopped? It really would have made it even funnier if the entire Queens team had been piled on to Dobbie near the half way line while Gaston sprinted the length of the pitch and put the ball in the net.  With his head.

I did question the linesman point when watching that. If they were at him asking, fine, but going to them to say no goal doesn't seem right.

From the same linesmen that won't stop a ball that's going past then out of play or kick it back on when it's sitting next to them at a free kick or whatever

2 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Def not a goal. Surely a contender for save of the season?!

Meh, like I said yesterday, it's a decent save but he only has to make it because he's appallingly positioned in the first place. He does better to get out of the net and hold it on the line than he does to make the initial save.  I actually think the tip round the post of Dykes shot a few minutes later is a better save.

As for the highlights, as well as confirming what we already knew (that it didn't cross the line), the additional things of note for me:

- I don't know how Oliver misses from the rebound of Harkins free kick that hits the bar. It's an open goal and he heads it so far wide it doesn't go out.

- That move I remembered of 1-2's between Dykes and Dobbie just before our goal was every bit as good as I thought. Deserved a goal.

- Thomas shouldn't be showing Harkins inside at their goal. That's just asking for what it got.

- Todorov might have won it for us if he'd reacted quicker to Murray's shot coming off the post. Maybe that's a wee bit harsh of me though.

Have you still a soft spot for Queens Alibi ?

Meh, like I said yesterday, it's a decent save but he only has to make it because he's appallingly positioned in the first place. He does better to get out of the net and hold it on the line than he does to make the initial save.  I actually think the tip round the post of Dykes shot a few minutes later is a better save.
As for the highlights, as well as confirming what we already knew (that it didn't cross the line), the additional things of note for me:
 - I don't know how Oliver misses from the rebound of Harkins free kick that hits the bar. It's an open goal and he heads it so far wide it doesn't go out.
 - That move I remembered of 1-2's between Dykes and Dobbie just before our goal was every bit as good as I thought. Deserved a goal.
 - Thomas shouldn't be showing Harkins inside at their goal. That's just asking for what it got.
 - Todorov might have won it for us if he'd reacted quicker to Murray's shot coming off the post. Maybe that's a wee bit harsh of me though.

I agree with most of that except that his positioning was poor. The ball was in our own half and most decent keepers aren't glued to their line when the ball is in the other teams half. If the ball goes over the top and he's stuck to his line and we score then he's suspect for the goal. If the ball goes over the top and he's not on his line them he's in a better position to either win the ball or close the angle for the shot.
Can't take away his really good save. If it was one of our goalkeepers then his positioning wouldn't have even been mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't think it's as great as it was getting made out to be on here tbf. 

To get back from the position he was in, then manage to get his hand round and palm it when it was literally on the line (whilst falling backwards at speed) and then get up out of the net quick enough before it bounces over is pretty spectacular IMO.

6 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

I did question the linesman point when watching that. If they were at him asking, fine, but going to them to say no goal doesn't seem right.

From the same linesmen that won't stop a ball that's going past then out of play or kick it back on when it's sitting next to them at a free kick or whatever

Yes, it was all a bit unorthodox. 

I suppose that the linesman did do us an unnecessary favour there.  It's really our own fault if we wish to celebrate a goal that's not been given, on account of not being a goal.

We didn't treat him like he'd done us a favour though.  

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it was all a bit unorthodox. 

I suppose that the linesman did do us an unnecessary favour there.  It's really our own fault if we wish to celebrate a goal that's not been given, on account of not being a goal.

He really didnt. The three of four players involved in the celebration were far too far away to have any effect on Morton's break by the time they became aware that it wasnt a goal. Dobbie continued to argue and both Rankin and Brownlie were barely back in their own half when Leighfield palmed the shot away and it went out for a throw.

Fair play to the likes of Mercer, Fordyce, Jacobs and Marshall who were switched on enough to defend the situation.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He really didnt. The three of four players involved in the celebration were far too far away to have any effect on Morton's break by the time they became aware that it wasnt a goal. Dobbie continued to argue and both Rankin and Brownlie were barely back in their own half when Leighfield palmed the shot away and it went out for a throw.

I'm not saying that it made all the difference.  I am saying however that he didn't need to alert the players to their mistake, yet he did.

That's all.

Archived