Queens v Morton

1 minute ago, Cappielow1 said:

I wasn't at the game and have only seen the series of stills, I can understand why the Queens fans thought it was in, I recall being just as seething when Ally Maxwell appeared to have saved on the line at the Sinclair Street end against St Mirren, Baw was NEVER in we thought, a photo appeared in Monday's Sun showing the ball about three feet over the line.

Then there was that incident at Hamilton.

The video on the Queens match report is pretty conclusive that the ball didnt cross the goal-line. Amazing how Gaston ended up in the back of the net before recovering. Just a pity no Queens player could race in to beat him to the ball. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In the sequence, it jumps from Gaston lying tangled in the net while the ball bounces on the line, straight to him lying with his hands on the ball having pushed it forward by a foot or so.

Clearly, there are missing images.

This thing is bigger than any of us and goes right to the top.

We're through the looking glass here people.

The video included in the Queens match report suggests that there are no missing images from the photos and the ball never did cross the goal-line.

On the other side of the goalkeeping coin I’d like to see the first Harkins free kick again. On Twitter QOS said it smashed off the bar. Morton said it floated. Watching the lack of action from our keeper I assumed it was a cross! Not a confident start.

I think Leighfield got away with one there. It wasn't struck hard by Harkins. It dipped at the end but I reckon Leighfield thought it was going over.

Out  of curiosity, how much does goal line technology cost? I don't mean the video which would be prohibitive at this level, but am I right in thinking in England some sort of "buzzer" the ref is wearing indicates the ball over the line?

Goal line technology isn't 100% accurate either. There was an incident the other week when the ball was reportedly 96% over the line according to BT score centre. When that game was shown on MOTD we never got so much as two angles of the incident, the goal line technology shot wasn't used, it was brushed under the carpet by the commentator that it was even close to crossing the line and the studio team never so much as discussed it. Clearly the ball crossed the line, the technology never picked it up and everyone was told to pretend like it wasn't even close as it would mean starting again with it. But it clearly isn't this amazingly accurate piece of equipment they'll have us believe it is.

The video included in the Queens match report suggests that there are no missing images from the photos and the ball never did cross the goal-line.

There are clearly missing images from the Gif I posted. In one second Gaston is lying in the net, the next imagine he's on top of the ball. The boy was quick but that's Flash Gordon levels of speed.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There are clearly missing images from the Gif I posted. In one second Gaston is lying in the net, the next imagine he's on top of the ball. The boy was quick but that's Flash Gordon levels of speed.

I’m not too sure as he can cleary be seen lunging forward to get the ball, with his feet still in the netting.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's naw in, dry yer eyes

I’m not too sure as he can cleary be seen lunging forward to get the ball, with his feet still in the netting.

I'd say there is definitely one frame missing between him hitting the net and landing on the ball. I still don't think the ball would have crossed the line though.

1 hour ago, NOTS said:

Yeah, it's possible that I wasn't being entirely serious in suggesting that this was some massive conspiracy.

Very entertaining game with a couple of good goals, two outstanding performances, Harkins and Dobbie, and some dramatic saves by Gaston and , of course, the goal that never was. It had me seething at the time and afterwards, esp. after Murray hit the bar, as I thought we deserved the win over the piece. Have calmed down now ( it’s only a game lol) and we Scots enjoy a good grievance, n’est-ce pas?

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit? :blink:

What a load of nonsense. The officials did exactly what they should. If they cant be sure it is a goal you dont give it. The referee had no chance of seeing it. The linesman had a better view and couldnt be sure it was in so he cant give it. As it happens he was right but even if he had been wrong he still cant give it if he cant be sure.

Wait, he wasn't serious was he?

4 hours ago, NOTS said:

Just a pity no Queens player could race in to beat him to the ball. 

Perhaps if they had played to the whistle instead of gormlessly celebrating on the sideline then you'd have got the winning goal. 

A point is a much better result for us, particularly given the substantial room for improvement that we have on yesterday's showing. If Duffy was trying to rotate the squad with an eye on midweek fixtures and the cup tie then he simply picked the wrong game for those changes. Having Tidser supporting Murdoch and Harkins in the midfield gave us a degree of control against Dumbarton that we badly missed yesterday: we still played reasonably well when we had the ball, but got routinely overrun as soon as we gave it away. Ross looked wasted on the right hand side, particularly as Russell isn't a very good option at left midfield anyway. Playing McHugh up front also meant that we couldn't defend as well from the front. The changes that Duffy made yesterday would have been ideal for the Dumbarton game midweek, but not away to the strongest side on paper that we'll face this week. 

Lamie also needs to return to the starting eleven, regardless of whatever promises of first-team football Duffy may have made to Gasparotto. 

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit? :blink:

What a load of nonsense. The officials did exactly what they should. If they cant be sure it is a goal you dont give it. The referee had no chance of seeing it. The linesman had a better view and couldnt be sure it was in so he cant give it. As it happens he was right but even if he had been wrong he still cant give it if he cant be sure.

The linesman was nearly at the half way line how the hell could he see anything .The ref was at least facing the goal much closer than the linesman .The ref has just had a lucky guess that it did not cross the line

7 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

The linesman was nearly at the half way line how the hell could he see anything .The ref was at least facing the goal much closer than the linesman .The ref has just had a lucky guess that it did not cross the line

He didn't guess. He couldn't say for sure if the ball crossed the line, so was in no position to give a goal.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Perhaps if they had played to the whistle instead of gormlessly celebrating on the sideline then you'd have got the winning goal. 

It was actually bloody gormless when you think about it.  

I'd assumed when the players reacted that an official had indicated a goal.  When it emerged that none had, I assumed  they must have been wrong because you wouldn't get half the team celebrating like that, unless they were sure.

It turned out though that nobody could possibly have felt certain it was a goal, on account of the fact that it wasn't one.

If Morton had gone to the other end and scored (as they probably should have) I'd probably have been able to see the funny side in around eight years.

You talk one load of shite [emoji90]

Goal line technology isn't 100% accurate either. There was an incident the other week when the ball was reportedly 96% over the line according to BT score centre. When that game was shown on MOTD we never got so much as two angles of the incident, the goal line technology shot wasn't used, it was brushed under the carpet by the commentator that it was even close to crossing the line and the studio team never so much as discussed it. Clearly the ball crossed the line, the technology never picked it up and everyone was told to pretend like it wasn't even close as it would mean starting again with it. But it clearly isn't this amazingly accurate piece of equipment they'll have us believe it is.

So you’re saying the technology done it’s job then? The WHOLE of the ball must cross the line, not 96% of it.

Also find it disturbing the number of people complaining about the officials even though the decision was correct.

Archived