Queens v Morton

Ach well we thought we had witnessed the best goal seen at Palmy in years but instead it turned out to be probably the best save in years. How the hell did he keep that out?

The goal we did score was one of the best goals I've seen us score in a good while. I'm looking forward to the highlights to see how many passes were completed in the run up to the finish.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Great save by Gats, but how lucky is he? Usually when you make a save like that the ball will bounce then go in one direction or the other, so it’s amazing to see it bounce then go straight up in the air before bouncing on the line again.

EDIT you can also see it begins to bounce towards the goal so he was also lucky he didn’t get stuck in the net and was able to get back to his line before it went in. Quite an amazing period of play there.

Can we discuss what a fucking save that was? Stupendous goalkeeping.

An incredible piece of skill from Sir Stephen but what a wonderful save that is.
Officials got it right but I think they probably guessed as too far away from the goal line.

Dobbie could of and really should of had a hat trick yesterday. Needs to stop being as greedy at times

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Great save by Gats, but how lucky is he? Usually when you make a save like that the ball will bounce then go in one direction or the other, so it’s amazing to see it bounce then go straight up in the air before bouncing on the line again.

EDIT you can also see it begins to bounce towards the goal so he was also lucky he didn’t get stuck in the net and was able to get back to his line before it went in. Quite an amazing period of play there.

Wonder if it bounced like that because it was on AstroTurf? Might have been a different outcome if it were on grass.

On the other side of the goalkeeping coin I’d like to see the first Harkins free kick again. On Twitter QOS said it smashed off the bar. Morton said it floated. Watching the lack of action from our keeper I assumed it was a cross! Not a confident start.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Cracking save. A big part of me is really glad it wasn't over the line. If that had went in it's a goal if the season contender. It would be sickening if it was over the line and hadn't counted.

Yes, but we'd have been right and the linesman would have been wrong.

Don't underestimate the smugness and the righteous indignation that would have allowed us to experience.   I'm gutted it's turned out to have been the correct decision.

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

In the sequence, it jumps from Gaston lying tangled in the net while the ball bounces on the line, straight to him lying with his hands on the ball having pushed it forward by a foot or so.

Clearly, there are missing images.

This thing is bigger than any of us and goes right to the top.

We're through the looking glass here people.

Aye a great draw for the Ton.

While queens may have edged it in shots off target we have Gats to thank for three  great second half saves.

I think we were lucky the hang them high brigade didn't get access to the old stand side lines man or as the fan beside me stated ( yes I was in the QOS end with BIL) at the end he knows he is a cheat look at him scurry doon the tunnel. No he was running fae the mob.   

9 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Can we discuss what a fucking save that was? Stupendous goalkeeping.

It was good, but Alan Martin would have saved it with a scorpion kick.

2 hours ago, NOTS said:

Hats off to Gaston for an incredible save and to the officials for getting the decision correct. 

It looked a goal to everyone but somehow the officials guessed that it had not crossed the line .99 times out of 100 the ref would have gave that as a goal.Okay Gaston may have got to it but at real speed on the one   look the ref gets from where he is in the pitch he has to give a goal  The  linesman can't give anything he is closer to the half way line than the goals .Yet another poor decision to go against us .

13 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

It looked a goal to everyone but somehow the officials guessed that it had not crossed the line .99 times out of 100 the ref would have gave that as a goal.Okay Gaston may have got to it but at real speed on the one   look the ref gets from where he is in the pitch he has to give a goal  The  linesman can't give anything he is closer to the half way line than the goals .Yet another poor decision to go against us .

D- for effort. 

23 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Magnificent.

In getting it right, the officials were clearly wrong.

50 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Whit? :blink:

What a load of nonsense. The officials did exactly what they should. If they cant be sure it is a goal you dont give it. The referee had no chance of seeing it. The linesman had a better view and couldnt be sure it was in so he cant give it. As it happens he was right but even if he had been wrong he still cant give it if he cant be sure.

53 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Wow. It wasnt a goal though. It was a good effort and excellent save but not a goal. I get your meaning on how could linesman see it but he got the call right. You can't just give a goal because it might of gone in. I would say it is the attacking team job to put no doubt on whether a goal been scored. 

I wasn't at the game and have only seen the series of stills, I can understand why the Queens fans thought it was in, I recall being just as seething when Ally Maxwell appeared to have saved on the line at the Sinclair Street end against St Mirren, Baw was NEVER in we thought, a photo appeared in Monday's Sun showing the ball about three feet over the line.

Then there was that incident at Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Out  of curiosity, how much does goal line technology cost? I don't mean the video which would be prohibitive at this level, but am I right in thinking in England some sort of "buzzer" the ref is wearing indicates the ball over the line?

I reckon it is set-up very much like hawk-eye in tennis, cricket etc. There are so many cameras covering all areas of the goal. The referee does indeed wear a watch that alerts him to whether the full ball has crossed the goal-line.   

Archived