Queens v Morton

Made a fool of himself again today. Must have a chip on his shoulder

Tbf I can understand why. But surely that should be in the direction of James Fowler! From what I recall he was well liked by the fans and we questioned why he wasn't getting more game time when he was with us. I've no issue with ex-players giving it back to the fans but when the fans don't dish it out I find his antics very strange.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously I wanted a goal because I want Morton to win (stating the blatant fucking obvious) but there are about 18 levels where even a neutral watching that game would have loved Morton scoring there. The near glory of a player scoring from about 85000 yards, an outstanding save to deny it, desperate attempts from defenders to scramble the loose ball away, the defending team clearing the ball up the park, the entire defence of the attacking team charging up the park to celebrate the goal as their opponents broke, the linesman frantically signalling that play was still ongoing while six players celebrated right in front of him, the team who nearly conceded seconds before charging into the opposition box while fans were still celebrating the goal that hadn't actually happened.

If that counter attack had resulted in a Morton goal it would have been all over shite football banter accounts on twitter for decades.

A great description of what happened, I thought it was a goal, but saw quickly that play was continuing while I saw 4/5 players surround linesman. I thought we done well not to concede a goal on the break as players celebrated that would have been unbelievable

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf I can understand why. But surely that should be in the direction of James Fowler! From what I recall he was well liked by the fans and we questioned why he wasn't getting more game time when he was with us. I've no issue with ex-players giving it back to the fans but when the fans don't dish it out I find his antics very strange.

Could he not have had some abuse from  a section of the  crowd which you weren't in??

Could only be a few shouts but enough to stick when he scores....

Missed opportunity for us against our main rivals for the fourth playoff place.  Dobbie was Dobbie but thought he was slightly greedy on a couple of occasions ( not that we can really complain).

I did say earlier that Harkins was the one we needed to keep quiet, wasn't to be and it cost us.

Could he not have had some abuse from  a section of the  crowd which you weren't in??
Could only be a few shouts but enough to stick when he scores....

Possibly. But the last time he gave it to the section I was sitting and no one in my vicinity had shouted anything at him that day.

39 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Made a fool of himself again today. Must have a chip on his shoulder

Aye that vital goal was a real beamer for him right enough. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont think there is any doubt that the linesman, from where he was, didnt give a goal because he hadnt a clue rather than knew it wasnt in. However at the end of the day thats what he is supposed to do. And he almost certainly got it right. I have seen two different angles of footage now along with a series of stills and spoken to photographers who were on the line. It's very very close. Gaston, diving backwards, parries it in mid-air on or close to the line. He then falls back into the net, causing it to ripple before diving back to the line and landing on the ball as it is bouncing on the line. Its impossible even on the footage I have seen to be sure if the ball is in or not but it probably isnt all in. Certainly there is no way the officials can give it.

Over the piece I thought we deserved to win. We had much the better of the first half, though Harkins who was Morton's best player by miles, hit the bar with an early free kick. The goal was terrific. There was another move of 1-2's between Dykes and Dobbie that would have been even better if Dykes had been able to finish it.

Morton started the second half the better though and we gave Harkins far too much space to create the equaliser. We got back in charge about midway through. Dobbie should have scored when Rankin put him in and then should have squared to Thomas for a tap in soon after instead of going himself and allowing Gaston to make a good save. Then came THAT incident.  Morton should probably have scored on the break as most of our team celebrated the "goal". Dykes forced a terrific save from Gaston and then Murray left him grasping thin air last minute only to have his shot cone back off the post.

Its a much better point for Morton than for us but there was plenty of encouragement there for the coming weeks.

Have you seen the pic from Stephen Lang it looks a goal all day long.This is a game we should have won I just wish we had more goalscorers in the team.It is all Dobbie he almost seems to think that at times only he will no why he never made a simple pass to Thomas to score .

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Will someone please post some of these pictures we keep hearing about?

Stephen Lang was behind the other goal 100 yards away. I saw him post a photo an hour or so back but it didnt look in to me. Dont know if he has since posted someone else's photo somewhere.

Overall a good performance but a 15 minute spell immediately after HT ultimately cost us dear. To be fair Gary Harkins had a very good game in a central midfield role.

Thomas is clearly a player with ability but his continual deployment on the right seriously limits his effectiveness. He constantly gets himself into dangerous positions but invariably ends up swinging a very weak right foot at the crucial time or he slows down a dangerous attack to work the ball on to his left peg. Personally I think he needs to reinvent himself as a left sided midfielder or as a playmaker in behind a front 2. Shame really because there is a talented player in there but wide right is not maximising his skill.

Poor old Lino took pelters and by all accounts made the right call. Must admit it looked a goal but there is nothing like a "sense of total injustice" to waken the home support out of its slumber.

Not the best one and it's clearly not over in that one, but the position of the ball there and the fact Gaston has moved the net is what tricked my mind into thinking the ball has touched the net I reckon. 

Screenshot_2018-02-17-20-50-28.png

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not the best one and it's clearly not over in that one, but the position of the ball there and the fact Gaston has moved the net is what tricked my mind into thinking the ball has touched the net I reckon. 

Yes thats the one I saw earlier. Surely that cant be the one Northfield thinks "looks a goal all day long"?

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

As you say, not conclusive, but it does show that it was certainly extremely close.

I wonder if the movement of the net is what swung a lot of people, not least the Queens players who joined the celebrations.  If Naysmith was an active participant and the officials got it right, it would have been pretty embarrassing for him if Morton had turned their brief numerical advantage into a goal in the aftermath.

I've got a really decent still picture of when the keeper pushes the ball forward from the goal. But I'm not sure how to upload on here? Says that this does not accept the file type?
Looks like It's a cracking save from Gaston!

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There is an animation of all the still photos on the official site now. Very good work from Colin J. 

If the ball is ever in its by fractions and when Gaston first claws it back. It certainly never hits the net, though he does, although it may hit the post.

Yes, it is pretty good work.

It's obviously exceptionally close, but it doesn't look like it was in.  I suppose Dobbie benefited when a broadly similar situation was judged in his favour at Kirkcaldy last season.

Archived