Torpar

I'm aware there is already a Rugby thread but this is dominated by talk of the boring code, so starting a thread to discuss all things related to the 13 man game.

Super League kicked off last night with a routine Hull FC win and a narrow win for Leeds, three more games on tonight with St Helens v Castleford probably the pick of the bunch (Come on you Saints)

The Challenge Cup started last weekend, Millon of Cumbria won 36-18 over Strathmore Silverbacks of Forfar, ending Scottish participation in the first round as usual. 

Closer to home (for me anyway) after dominating League One (as the only full time team) last year, Toronto Wolfpack start their Championship campaign and push for a second promotion against Leigh on Sunday. They have signed an agreement for the Sevco of rugby league, Bradford Bulls, to send players there on a dual registration. How the mighty have fallen!

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

I'm aware there is already a Rugby thread but this is dominated by talk of the boring code, so starting a thread to discuss all things related to the 13 man game.

Super League kicked off last night with a routine Hull FC win and a narrow win for Leeds, three more games on tonight with St Helens v Castleford probably the pick of the bunch (Come on you Saints)

The Challenge Cup started last weekend, Millon of Cumbria won 36-18 over Strathmore Silverbacks of Forfar, ending Scottish participation in the first round as usual. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3526981

58 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Closer to home (for me anyway) after dominating League One (as the only full time team) last year, Toronto Wolfpack start their Championship campaign and push for a second promotion against Leigh on Sunday. They have signed an agreement for the Sevco of rugby league, Bradford Bulls, to send players there on a dual registration. How the mighty have fallen!

To be fair, Bradford Bulls fans wanted them to start over in League One rather than being put back in the Championship where it was inevitable that they would be relegated.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen
Fixed GIF

Never had anything but contempt for rugby league in the past but got into the NRL last season and it's magic. Looking forward to seeing Paramatta this year with Jarryd Hayne back there and Mitch Moses getting into his first full season with them. Will miss Radradra though.

2 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Never had anything but contempt for rugby league in the past but got into the NRL last season and it's magic. Looking forward to seeing Paramatta this year with Jarryd Hayne back there and Mitch Moses getting into his first full season with them. Will miss Radradra though.

Hasn't exactly had the best off/pre season but hopefully he comes out flying. I'm a fan of Parramatta, bit shit playing at the Olympic stadium, I really liked the old stadium but it's only for one more season (I think)

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

Hasn't exactly had the best off/pre season but hopefully he comes out flying. I'm a fan of Parramatta, bit shit playing at the Olympic stadium, I really liked the old stadium but it's only for one more season (I think)

Every game I caught last season seemed to involve Paramatta. Not complaining as they played some really good stuff.

Saints with a great start to the season. I caught the end of the Leigh-Toronto game on Sunday, after being 12-0 down early on, they won 34-12. The rage from some of the Leigh fans after Toronto's last try was funny to watch. Other clubs' fans in general really seem to hate Toronto, I can kind of understand why but still I'd like to see them in Super League soon

Enjoyed Leeds v HKR last night, tight game for the first 60 minutes before Leeds pulled clear at the end to win 20-11.

They mentioned on commentary that Sky have the rights for NRL coverage again so there will be 200+ rugby league games live this year.

20 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'll be surprised if Toronto aren't in Super League next season.

I could see it happening, I believe Leigh were one of the favourites to win the league and Toronto brushed them a side. If they do go up they will have the worst stadium in the league by far, and I haven't heard of any plans yet to change that. 

Enjoyed Leeds v HKR last night, tight game for the first 60 minutes before Leeds pulled clear at the end to win 20-11.

They mentioned on commentary that Sky have the rights for NRL coverage again so there will be 200+ rugby league games live this year.
Was going to like that then remembered that I don't actually have Sky Sports anymore. Oh well.

FreeSports broadcasting a weekly Conference game this season from March. Saturday afternoon games...

Pity they couldn’t get Championship or League 1 rights, which appear to be owned by Sky, who don’t use them! 

Still good for grassroots coverage all the same...

C1B0AA90-7A70-47D2-AFAB-128AD5B59302.jpeg

Edited by Christophe

• 2 weeks later...

Toronto lose their first game of the season 47-16 to London Broncos, queue bitter seething mess northerns on Facebook taking great pleasure out of the 'millionaire yanks'  losing. Guys who have never left their mum's house in Cumbria 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw my first Toronto Wolfpack game at the weekend. The week previous they played part time side Barrow who I believe came over with 14 players and had to borrow local amateurs, winning 64-0. Saturday though was against full time side and preseason league favourites Leigh  Centurions and I expected a much closer game. Maybe it was the extreme heat, humidity made it feel like 42 at kick off, but Leigh were very flat first half were 24-0 down after 40 minutes. Second half was a lot better for Leigh, winning the half 28-22. final score 46-28 Toronto. I was actually quite pleased Leigh played so well second half as they had around 600 fans there.

The overall match experience makes it's a good afternoon out. The stadium is a quick streetcar/tram ride from the downtown core, the crowd was closed to 7,000, no doubt swelled a little by it being kids go free day. The crowd itself seemed to a good mix of Canadians, Aussies and English. Compared to other sporting events in the city the beer was fairly cheap. My only slight complaint with the beer is that they only sell craft beers. I get that they are trying to do something different but when it's really hot and I'm just watching sports I'd much rather have a bog standard lager. The stadium itself isn't great imo, it's a city owned facility that's rented out during the week for football, hockey, flag football etc. The stands were two identical concert terraces with metal benches bolted on top, they also open a beer garden where you can watch the game from behind the goal. They could do with raising the fence/netting behind both goals as more than one kick ended up in the street at one end and the car park the other. There's a strong chance Toronto will be promoted to Super League next season, haven't heard any plans about upgrading or moving stadiums, so their current ground would probably be one of the worst in the league. 

Overall a good experience and I hope they do make the Super League next season, the seethe from raging Northerns will be worth it alone