Worst new phrases in football

optimistic

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/9/2018 at 14:12, 7-2 said:

We are going through the hyperbole years!

On 3/14/2018 at 01:43, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Ahhh  . . . The Hyperbole Years, I'll remember them fondly. Then again it's unlikely I'll live long enough. Because they're never going to fucking end. 

the Hyperbole Years have so far proved to be undeniably, irrefutably and indefatigably completely and utterly fucking brilliant in every conceivable and/or imaginable aspect; quite astoundingly good to an epoch-defining level of total splendiferousness.

fact

Not picking on him, but for example currently Kieran Tierney described as "Scotlands (or Celtics) full back for the next ten years" etc.  How does anyone know that ? What if he loses form, gets a bad injury or a better player comes along ? Does he have a contract as a Scotland player or something ? This seems to have become fashionable recently where its assumed a player doing a good job at present will continue thus ad infinitum.

Also agree with a previous poster regarding the hyperbole when describing players or moves etc. Everything now has to be fantastic or amazing, no-one can just have a good or decent game anymore. I will put it down to pundits (that's a laugh, incidentally) being generally former footballers and therefore of limited vocabulary. Plenty time on their hands but as likely to brush up on their grammar as Count Dracula is to munch on garlic.

• 1 month later...

....the fact that anything that requires any sort of sentiate thought is now couched as being an element of some mysterious dark art known as "game management" - it's like the footballing equivalent of alchemy

ie

juventus are (were !) experts in "game management"

arsenal always f**k up because wenger has no appreciation of "game management"

Archived