Worst new phrases in football

optimistic

16 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

'Referring to the England Women's team as the 'Lionesses' nobody is calling the youth teams the 'Cubs' so why make the Women's team seem like they are different?

16 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Yeah the lionesses one really irritates me.

this in particular is fucking sickening - idiotic, clumsy contrivance deliberately invented to emphaise the femine nature of the team; now - approach the same folk who use the name with ill-concealed, snowflakey glee and tell them that there are things such as actresses and comediennes - as opposed to "just" actors and comedians - and they'll have an apopleptic fit accusing you of being an archaic  mysoginist - the same sort of hypocrisy that underscores all this gender-politics shite...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have missed it, but how the f**k have we got to the fourth page of this thread without "The Group"?

It's a team, or a squad. "Group" can get right into the fucking sea. 

I'll happily second whoever mentioned Sky's ludicrous FM-style player ratings and the laughable circus built up over the January window. Utter shite. 

We won 0-1. No you didn't, we won 1-0. You always put your own teams score first, home or away.  Same as the team you're talking about if not yours, 'they won 1-0 at...' Always.

7 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

It was his first tackle...

Hold it till he comes

He's coming inside you

3 of my favourites shouts but based on the fact im immature

cup game a few years back, leeds away at - hmmmm - mansfield i think it may have been; highlights on TV and, after the keeper had rushed out to claima cross, missed it and a goal followed, the commentator said "the young keeper's come far too early there and made a mess of his clean sheet..."

cup game a few years back, leeds away at - hmmmm - mansfield i think it may have been; highlights on TV and, after the keeper had rushed out to claima cross, missed it and a goal followed, the commentator said "the young keeper's come far too early there and made a mess of his clean sheet..."
We've all been there

People talking about 'kits'. When I was a kid 'kit' was a stupid word that English people used. We used to always talk about 'strips'. As in, the new Hearts strip, the new Motherwell strip etc.

Now everybody seems to say 'kit'. It's excruciating.

14 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

People talking about 'kits'. When I was a kid 'kit' was a stupid word that English people used. We used to always talk about 'strips'. As in, the new Hearts strip, the new Motherwell strip etc.

Now everybody seems to say 'kit'. It's excruciating.

I blame this thread completely for normalising the use of this invidious phrase, and the folk who regularly contribute to it, who should be beaten with an old-style pair of rain-sodden woollen stockings  - shameful...

27 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

"good football man" = playe din the 70's and 80's and is probably so out of touch with the modern game but will get a decent managerial job

on a similar tack, a "proper football club" - which is a particular favourite of the Talk Sport breakfast team; as of yesterday, apparently West Ham are "a proper football club", so it probably means something along the lines of being a bastion of far right intolerance, traditional cockney nawtiness, institutionalised mismanagement on and off the pitch and - generally - being a bit of a laughing stock and/or shambles.

compare and contrast with the likes of huddersfield, who are "gatecrashing the premier league on the back of being one man's hobbyhorse (sic)" and who have "no history" - clearly not a "proper football club" at all   :huh:

Archived