Worst new phrases in football

optimistic

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Mine , “ touched on it earlier “, can’t we just mention something now? Aargh

I'm curious - which of the Scottish Championship clubs do you most hate hearing that phrase in reference to?

4 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Talking about phrases people say nowadays in football, it’s not about the clubs, things pundits and managers and fans say and suchlike

Aye I got that - I was just puzzled why this topic was in the Scottish Championship forum.  Of course the Mods have moved it now, so it's my initial response that looks odd rather than your question.  Cheers mods.

Anyway the phrase that annoys me most is "St Mirren, Championship leaders". 

See -  you could've made it a Scottish Championship topic.

anyone who is said to have "won a penalty" - instantly infers cheating, diving or general cuntery, which to be strictly fair seems to be what's involved on most occasions now...

oh - and balls which are hit "on the volley" after they've bounced up in the air , though that's irritated me for years rather than being new

and any reference to  top-flight records that only apply since the first EPL season - you can really, properly get to fück if you go down that route !

14 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

and any reference to  top-flight records that only apply since the first EPL season - you can really, properly get to fück if you go down that route !

I certainly agree with that, even worse with Scottish football where there have been so many permutations of the league, particularly the top division, in recent years.

"week in, week out" 

"not a bad bone in (Keith Lasleys) his body"

"In the spirit of the game, that's not a foul/yellow/red" - because obviously it's the "spirit" that matters when judging if Scott Brown decapitating someone deserves a yellow or just a talking to.

Chris Sutton screeching - "he should have gambled there" , it just winds me up, like he played it safe by not scoring/fucking that up.

The trend now for managers to demand 'protection for their players' from the ref when playing a supposedly inferior team.

No, the refs are there to apply the laws of the game as per the rule book . If you've blown your budget filling your team with players that have all the flicks and tricks but can't take a tackle then that's just tough tits .

Archived