Worst new phrases in football

optimistic

18 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Using the word "idiot" to describe a pitch invader/someone holding a flare/someone jumping over a cordon to celebrate.

always irked me why the cameras cut away from any such chicanery, presumably in the interests of "not encouraging folk to imitate the idiots"; cue end of coverage and on comes the news with the usual "upsetting scenes" caveat, and the same broadcasters - so eager to insulate us from the damaging effects of a few boisterous herberts with flares - will have no compunction in showing dismembered bodies smeared all over some Kabul marketplace, a blood-spattered schoolroom in Alabama, salvos of warheads being fired from a warship or some other scene of (impending or recent) death and destruction - cool - i'll just imitate that, then - as long as i don't jump about with a scarf over my face waving a smokebomb, that'd be entirely unreasonable...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/02/2018 at 16:19, Jmothecat2 said:

'Sent the keeper the wrong way' when a player has just ran, picked a side, and scored the penalty without any sort of stutters or body positioning or anything to suggest he's done anything other than pick the opposite side the keeper picked.

Impossible to say that watching, especially from the side or any distance.  Body shape, even the way he looks.  You don't know a great deal about the game.

17 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Impossible to say that watching, especially from the side or any distance.  Body shape, even the way he looks.  You don't know a great deal about the game.

Why do you bother coming here to converse with people who don't know anything about the game?  

9 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

More of a P&B thing but if I ever heard anyone say ‘minter’ in real life.......
IMG_2995.jpg

You’re such a minterrrrrr.

Must be all the rage at Hibs games. In between the drumming. 

• 4 weeks later...
on a similar tack, a "proper football club" - which is a particular favourite of the Talk Sport breakfast team; as of yesterday, apparently West Ham are "a proper football club", so it probably means something along the lines of being a bastion of far right intolerance, traditional cockney nawtiness, institutionalised mismanagement on and off the pitch and - generally - being a bit of a laughing stock and/or shambles.
compare and contrast with the likes of huddersfield, who are "gatecrashing the premier league on the back of being one man's hobbyhorse (sic)" and who have "no history" - clearly not a "proper football club" at all   :huh:

Huddersfield Town - 3 English Championships (Old Div 1 Titles) West Ham United - 0

They were also won consecutively btw [emoji106]

That horrific "sent for a hotdog" patter I'm seeing by these banterLAD football accounts.

Who the f**k eats a hotdog at the football?

My son liked a hotdog at the football until he was about 8 and since then it’s been pies.

I hope that answers your question. Now what the holy f**k is a banterLAD football account?

Statistics preceded by the phrase, " since the premier league began in 1992..."

f**k right off with that , Sky sports did NOT invent football !

Also never understood when fans doing something unsavoury, fighting, letting off flares, singing unpleasant chants etc are described as " not real fans."

Really!

People so passionate about their clubs, they spend a small fortune travelling the length and bredth of the country following their team, and are literally willing to break the law for their team. But their "not real fans"

Bellends, certainly, but not real fans?

Televised football would be so glamorous if it wasn't for those manky working class tinks filling the stands with their manky working classlessness, eh Sky?

21 minutes ago, nsr said:

Televised football would be so glamorous if it wasn't for those manky working class tinks filling the stands with their manky working classlessness, eh Sky?

did you notice how the PSG fans were perceived to be "generating a fantastic atmosphere" against Real in midweek, with their flares and smokebombs and stuff ?

try replicating that at stoke v west ham and see what the reaction is - banning orders all round and a hysterical media-led clamour to reinstall the fences....

Statistics preceded by the phrase, " since the premier league began in 1992..."
f**k right off with that , Sky sports did NOT invent football !
Also never understood when fans doing something unsavoury, fighting, letting off flares, singing unpleasant chants etc are described as " not real fans."
Really!
People so passionate about their clubs, they spend a small fortune travelling the length and bredth of the country following their team, and are literally willing to break the law for their team. But their "not real fans"
Bellends, certainly, but not real fans?

Linked to this is why everyone seem to feel that the need to completely overreact to things like pitch invasions, minor punch-ups etc.

I’m not suggesting they cheer them on but the reactions we get are more appropriate to some kind of mass murder spree than a pitch invasion where someone tried to kick someone but missed and the worst injury was a black eye.

It’s as though they feel by not utterly condemning it, they are condoning it. They are reacting often to what could have happened rather than what did happen. There’s no sense of proportion!

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Linked to this is why everyone seem to feel that the need to completely overreact to things like pitch invasions, minor punch-ups etc.

I’m not suggesting they cheer them on but the reactions we get are more appropriate to some kind of mass murder spree than a pitch invasion where someone tried to kick someone but missed and the worst injury was a black eye.

It’s as though they feel by not utterly condemning it, they are condoning it. They are reacting often to what could have happened rather than what did happen. There’s no sense of proportion!

The country is fucked. Not just here but America too it seems. Massive over-reactions to everything slightly emotive. It's just depressing.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Overreacting to everything is the current culture though. It's not exclusive to football. In the game you rarely hear of a good goal or a well taken one now. They're all wonder goals, world class finishes or unbelievable strikes to go with an amazing ball or a magnificent tackle. We are going through the hyperbole years!

9 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I imagine because they are terrified it will damage their ability to sell their product.

My son liked a hotdog at the football until he was about 8 and since then it’s been pies.

I hope that answers your question. Now what the holy f**k is a banterLAD football account?

Glad you son has seen sense. Football is for a pie and bovril.

Accounts like troll football etc, utterly shite accounts.

Archived