Worst new phrases in football

optimistic

More a fans one but, 'Going for 55' when they are not. Clearly going for 5.

I've never bothered counting the now defunct Rangers' league titles, but when Newco fans claim they are going for '55' are they including Newco's lower league titles in that figure? Even more tragic than I thought.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

'Sent the keeper the wrong way' when a player has just ran, picked a side, and scored the penalty without any sort of stutters or body positioning or anything to suggest he's done anything other than pick the opposite side the keeper picked.

The keeper guesses the wrong way = "excellent penalty". The penalty taker does exactly the same thing but the keeper guesses the right way and saves it = "terrible penalty". Never understood that one.

in two-legged matches the cretinous assertion that "away goals count double" - no, they don't
two games - 1-1 and 2-2 - the aggregate score is 3-3 and someone wins on away goals - it's not 4 fucking 5 on aggregate, is it !
AHH this has totally bugged my tits since the 90s !!

(Every single game any team now plays away from home) is a hard place to go.

They said that on Sportsound about Ross County before the Dons games on Wednesday, then in the very next sentence said they had only won twice at home in the league all season.

XG for me is like Kim Kardashian, I keep looking up what they are but forget so quickly I have to look them up again a month or so later, before once again forgetting and once again googling to find out.
Hadn't heard of it , looked it up and the Kardashian metaphor seems pretty apt . Is totally made up and pretty pointless .

'Buzzing'

'We go again' 

Any loaded term to describe a player by race, for example so many black players and described as 'athletic or a powerhouse' or an Asian player as 'hard working.' On top of that black players getting compared to other black players despite not playing anything like one another (Lukaku versus Drogba or Son Heung Min and Ji Sung Park)

Referring to the England Women's team as the 'Lionesses' nobody is calling the youth teams the 'Cubs' so why make the Women's team seem like they are different?

'He doesn't know his best team'

'Buzzing'
'We go again' 
Any loaded term to describe a player by race, for example so many black players and described as 'athletic or a powerhouse' or an Asian player as 'hard working.' On top of that black players getting compared to other black players despite not playing anything like one another (Lukaku versus Drogba or Son Heung Min and Ji Sung Park)
Referring to the England Women's team as the 'Lionesses' nobody is calling the youth teams the 'Cubs' so why make the Women's team seem like they are different?
'He doesn't know his best team'

Yeah the lionesses one really irritates me.

I'm sure this thread was done about ten years ago when Soccer AM was at its peak. Phrases like "in the hole" and suchlike to mean an attacker midfielder playing behind two forwards.

Archived