Orange Order "Charm Offensive"

Jason King

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

normal Protestants,

90 + % of orange order members and hangers on have no interest in religion / Christianity, their involvement mainly stems from upbringing and the team they support

the paranoid obsession against catholicism is hilarious considering  the threat from extreme islamic groups, this  pales into insignificance the supposed catholic "threat"

and if they want to "charm" the public then they have quite a task ahead of them considering the behaviour of their followers on marches , an impossible task.

they are so far removed from real christian organisations that they are out of sight, the threat which they perceive from catholicism is long gone in this secular society in which we now live in 

the orange order is a dinosaur which has for decades outlived its true although dubious purpose. my opinion is the same or similar to most outsiders of whom i know they just don't seem to get it or more likely don't want to know.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Torch says “exotic visitors” will come from countries including Ghana, Togo, the USA, Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

I had to google this as I didn't realize that they were still active here.  I thought they had died out in the 60's and 70's but they apparently still have a parade in Toronto every year, watched by literally tens of people!

Was there not some sort of documentary on the orange order a number of years ago and they were looking to reform and change their image? It obviously didn't happen.

I suppose loads of religious organisations have had murky pasts and managed to reform themselves to an extent, Im quite sceptical the OO can be one of those, it seems just to be purely based on triumphalism and to an extent politics  more than actual Protestantism to me (I suppose 300 years ago politics and religion were more linked than they are now).

TBH let them get on with it, its not any skin off my nose. I just get on with life without them really be in any way relevant. They also claim its a fraternity, and you do have other religious fraternities kicking around too.

Edit to add - Was there not also some pish about having an orange festival a few years back too?

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What with the gays getting less hassle these days, that they have to add a letter to LGB every few months to include a new sub group and keep the numbers up. I suggest an Orange/Pride merger.

Stay with the LGBTO, SAY IT AGAIN, the LGBTO.

1280x720-IiP.jpg

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Edit to add - Was there not also some pish about having an orange festival a few years back too?

@RedRob72 went to the OrangeFest in George Square and had a whale of a time with everyone else who shares his culture and heritage, IIRC. He'll fill us in with more details, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Was there not some sort of documentary on the orange order a number of years ago and they were looking to reform and change their image? It obviously didn't happen.

I'd watch that - it'd be interesting to know what their plans are - is embracing the Catholic community part of it?

Reminds me of a documentary about the Klan that was on the telly about twenty years ago. Some chapter had thrown away all the discrimination stuff and just seemed to like an excuse to light up a big cross and have a barbeque. They spoke extensively to the Grand Wizard (or whatever) and he expressed surprise that only one black guy had joined up to the new touchy-feely New Klux Klan they had going  :lol:

13 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Reminds me of a documentary about the Klan that was on the telly about twenty years ago. Some chapter had thrown away all the discrimination stuff and just seemed to like an excuse to light up a big cross and have a barbeque. They spoke extensively to the Grand Wizard (or whatever) and he expressed surprise that only one black guy had joined up to the new touchy-feely New Klux Klan they had going  :lol:

Haha aye it was sort of the same. I think they had elected some new head honcho of the order who wanted to reform it a bit in the same way. It was years ago now (might be over a decade at least) and on the bbc or another council channel, I might try and find it. If I remember rightly they were thinking about allowing members to enter a chapel for weddings etc (O the humanity) as part of these major reforms. Like I said its a along time ago so my memory of it is not the best so I would need to try and dig it out from somewhere, hopefully its on youtube.

In terms of the order itself it could easily try to promote Protestantism, talk about the reformation and why they believe it happened, devine right of kings, parliamentary democracy and all sorts of stuff that is a big part of our history (as a country and on the islands as a whole and even Europe)...however they seem to be pretty much bigots  that just want to march about a battle centuries ago and hating Catholics mostly or at least the perception I have of them.

Archived