Clyde vs Edinburgh City

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we started well and made 2 good goals, was nice to see the midfield following up the striker for the second. Gave away 2 poor goals, although the boy shephard is a good player. 

Thought grant showed some good touches on the ball and good passing, Boyle with a lovely wee through ball for goody to win it. 

Under chapman we'd have lost that, and probably by more than 1. 

Credit to the management and team for putting a run together. Also to the board for backing Danny in the transfer market. 

Also, don't think anyone will lose sleep if we never see Breslin, weight or especially ramsay in my opinion. 

I was a little critical of Goodwillie today, felt he was taking  too long on the ball and trying to do too much by himself but who can really blame him he has had no option but to do everything himself since he arrived. Perhaps now with better players around he can concentrate more on getting himself into goal scoring positions. 

Thought Cuddihy was excellent today, been critical of him so far but his performance today was 1st class.

Kevin Nicoll doing a "flip-flap" inside the penalty box is both the best thing, and worst thing, that I've ever seen at Broadwood. 

Firstly a big dose of praise for Edinburgh. They passed the ball terrifically, perhaps as you'd expect given the midfield trio they have.  Grimes linked up well, whilst Shepherd was a real threat with his pace and directness. I'd be astonished if they don't join us in moving up the table a bit. Definitely deserved a point at least today. Full credit and apologies to Sao Paulo, given that Tena and El Alagui both managed to set up a Clyde goal, we perhaps should have signed them.

The first half saw them dominate possession early on but Goodwillie had a free run of the channels and one burst in there saw him set up Love who hit the post from distance. The opener saw a fantastic run forward by Cuddihy end with a pass through to Goodwillie and he finished clinically. The second goal saw Lamont rob Tena and put through Goodwillie who saw his shot saved, only for Cuddihy to ram the rebound high into the net.

Edinburgh's didn't test Currie enough throughout the game but got back into it when Lamont/Nicoll didn't pressure the ball well enough in midfield and the midfielder had time to play through Shepherd who had too much pace for McNiff. Currie maybe unlucky not to save.

The penalty saw Nicoll stupidly trip Shepherd on the edge of the box (was it inside?) and the striker made sure he got the award with a flamboyant leap in the air. After that you wouldn't really say either team had clear chances; Shepherd got into a couple of decent positions and Edinburgh also had a goal ruled out (not sure what for, I thought there might've been a Clyde handball in there). Clyde's main chances seemed to come from the Edinburgh goalie dropping everything that came near him but when El Alagui capped a comical cameo with a stupid cross field pass, we fed the ball to Boyle and his pass put Goodwillie through on goal to score. Even then, a mad-cap bit of defending also let Edinburgh in straight away but we managed to clear.

We didn't play anywhere near as well today as we did against Montrose/Peterhead but we now have a bit of quality all over the team to back Goodwillie, which is what we should have done last summer. Currie didn't have much to do in the way of saves but he was quick off his line two or three times which was crucial. Home and McNiff struggled against a challenging front pair and McNiff's place in the team must be under threat now we have a new left-sided centre half. Lang and Stewart were both okay. Nicoll did so much well and there's no doubt he's upped his game as much as anyone, but he also did so much abysmal stuff as well, particularly letting Walker in behind him. He stood out like a sore thumb when we ended up with Grant in there beside him. Could easily have ended up sent off.  

Cuddihy was my man of the match and he was unlucky to be pushed out wide after the substitutes as he was the one midfielder matching up well to his opposite number defensively. Still did okay out there. He's another one who'll up his game now he's got better players around him as he can play in tight spaces and pass quickly. Lamont wasn't as good as he has been the last two games and he still presses irresponsibly at times (first Edinburgh goal an example) but he also has four or five moments of real quality that lead to chances and goals. Millar probably won't be starting much going forward but is worth a place in the squad for his hard-work, whilst Love you feel is on the verge of hitting a bit of form (but probably won't for obvious reasons). Boyle looked shocked with the pace of the game at first but ended up with a couple of lovely touches and obviously set up the goal brilliantly. Grant looked off it a wee bit as well early on but still had three or four first time passes when under pressure that opened up space for others. Can't wait to see how these guys develop with more game time.

Lennon mixed it up with the substitutions. Although I thought Nicoll was lucky to avoid getting subbed, going to two deeper midfielders stopped Grimes dropping in deep, and Walker getting space. It took away a lot of Edinburgh's threat. Cogill seemed to just be brought on so he got a debut though.

As for Goodwillie, well he now doesn't need to win games by himself. So he's now winning us games. Absolute class.

Lang and Stewart were both okay. Nicoll did so much well and there's no doubt he's upped his game as much as anyone, but he also did so much abysmal stuff as well, particularly letting Walker in behind him. 

Lang and Stewart were very poor today but you like to focus on Nicoll's mistakes.

McNiff didn't cover himself in glory for the first Edinburgh goal.

Currie flapped at a cross that almost cost a goal.

Nicoll has his faults but wasn't the only one making mistakes today.

Lang I thought had an absolutely awful second half, mistakes all over the place 

For the penalty I’m certain that was outside the box, and the Edinburgh player did well to stay up until he was inside to fall over  

Overall I’d say we deserved the 3 points, created more chances and looked more dangerous on the ball. Goodwillie had chance after chance as well it seemed, and with what I saw of Boyle looks like he’ll be getting more of that

I thought Boyle struggled ever so slightly with the pace at first, as he's somewhat diminutive, but his touch and pace reminded me a bit of Dylan Easton. A lovely pass through from him for the winner and I think he could make a very positive contribution for us when he gets up to speed. I wouldn't be adverse to putting Cogill in beside Home next week either. As David W said above, Grant looked quite off the pace too at first but he sprayed the ball about quite well and will be another positive addition I believe. I saw Kipré fire in a nice free kick during the warm up and we're lacking a bit of depth upfront so I won't complain if (or when) we get that one pushed through.

This is the first time we've won three games in a row since August/September last year. Fingers crossed we can keep the good run going.

Thought you played some nice stuff today. Unlucky not to take at least a point imo. You are definitely better than Cowdenbeath, Annan and Berwick!

Think we’ll finish above Berwick and Cowden, thought Annan were mince when we beat them last week but I’ve thought that since we came into the league and somehow they are always kicking about the playoffs.

Nicoll has his faults but wasn't the only one making mistakes today.

Need to say that Nichol wasn't perfect but some supporters need to take a real look at themself. If you believe you can talk their no 7 off his game can't you see that abusing our own guys has the same, exactly the same effect. I thought the 11 on the park kept working even after some of the 'support' did chuck it at 2-2

First half thought that's the best football we have played for a long while the Edinburgh goal just before half time made changed the dynamic off the game . Have given cuddhy pelters this season but this week and particularly today different player he was excellent ( David W if he keeps this up then good on you for sticking up for him )
Edinburgh played some cracking stuff today really good footballing team . As for DGW the guy is absolute class the best forward we have had for a decade (at least ) what a finisher and absolutely brilliant to see his celebration at the winner and at the end of the game.
Finally credit Innes we are assembling a cracking squad and really backing the manager who has got the team playing some good football [emoji106]

First half thought that's the best football we have played for a long while the Edinburgh goal just before half time made changed the dynamic off the game . Have given cuddhy pelters this season but this week and particularly today different player he was excellent ( David W if he keeps this up then good on you for sticking up for him )
Edinburgh played some cracking stuff today really good footballing team . As for DGW the guy is absolute class the best forward we have had for a decade (at least ) what a finisher and absolutely brilliant to see his celebration at the winner and at the end of the game.
Finally credit Innes we are assembling a cracking squad and really backing the manager who has got the team playing some good football [emoji106]

Welcome to the Norrie Innes experiment ??

4 hours ago, David W said:

Full credit and apologies to Sao Paulo, given that Tena and El Alagui both managed to set up a Clyde goal, we perhaps should have signed them.

Straw man. These are players whose names I mentioned in order to illustrate the unacceptable poverty of our activity in the player market when Chapman was at the helm. Tena's better than anything we had then (McNiff; Home; Nicoll). And only Goodwillie was a better player than El Alagui. But listen... If your view remains that Chapman's activity in the player market was unfortunate and deserved sympathy, fair play. Desperation tells from that fact that the logic you've used to slam El Alagui and Tena could just as well be used to slam Kerr Waddell. And there's not a supporter at Clyde in their right mind who wouldn't have him back.

Happily, you and the rest of the apologetics movement didn't win out and in doing so resign this club to the lowland league. More happily still, we've got a manager in who's bringing in players to make our activity in the window the envy of the league. Better than all that... If we're really judicious about picking teams from now until the end of the season, we've got a great chance of pulling it back and nabbing fourth, having hired a gaffer that knows what he's doing for the first time in a decade.

Oh boy. Imagine we did get fourth. Then you'll be gutted. In fact... You'll be beyond gutted. And then I'll be the one who's gloating. And boy can I gloat, Davie boy. You want to see me when I start gloating. Ya hofwit. Ya dunderheed... You and this bookies aren'y worth a...

Bookies.png

This is Joe.

berw13.thumb.jpg.f3b8b22ed7d6396ce46bb657ca3ad85a.jpg

Joe doesn't fanny about and lose the ball, especially when there's a former Scottish International forward lurking about,  he lumps it up the park. 
Joe is a f*cking Legend. 
Be smart. Be like Joe. 

Positives to take: when we were 2-0 down we didn't let our heads go down but battled back and actually got the score back to 2-2. A draw might have been a fair result but before the winner was scored the Bully Wee had enjoyed a spell of pressure but having watched City for over 20 years you always have a suspicion disaster is lurking around the corner.
Clyde look an improved side- I was impressed by Love and Lang. I'm not sure they'll make play-offs although recent form suggests there's a chance and who knows? As for City the management team have the players looking better and better each week so hats off to them and if City can avoid doing daft things they'll get a few more wins under the belt.  

This is Joe.
berw13.thumb.jpg.f3b8b22ed7d6396ce46bb657ca3ad85a.jpg
Joe doesn't fanny about and lose the ball, especially when there's a former Scottish International forward lurking about,  he lumps it up the park. 
Joe is a f*cking Legend. 
Be smart. Be like Joe. 

Positives to take: when we were 2-0 down we didn't let our heads go down but battled back and actually got the score back to 2-2. A draw might have been a fair result but before the winner was scored the Bully Wee had enjoyed a spell of pressure but having watched City for over 20 years you always have a suspicion disaster is lurking around the corner.
Clyde look an improved side- I was impressed by Love and Lang. I'm not sure they'll make play-offs although recent form suggests there's a chance and who knows? As for City the management team have the players looking better and better each week so hats off to them and if City can avoid doing daft things they'll get a few more wins under the belt.  

Thought Edinburgh played some good stuff a lot better team than last year
No danger of going down

Archived