Scotland name squad

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:14, The Moonster said:

Aye, sorry I didn't mean the last time. I still wouldn't have him there.

So after those 2 games is this still the case? If so, please delete your account.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

So after those 2 games is this still the case? If so, please delete your account.

McGregor won't play another campaign for us. Playing him for 180 minutes over those last two games was completely pointless. I never doubted his ability as a keeper but he won't be around much longer, we'll need to look at the younger guys at some point and I fail to see how this wasn't the ideal opportunity.

20 hours ago, The Moonster said:

McGregor won't play another campaign for us. Playing him for 180 minutes over those last two games was completely pointless. I never doubted his ability as a keeper but he won't be around much longer, we'll need to look at the younger guys at some point and I fail to see how this wasn't the ideal opportunity.

Don't agree with that at all, he'll 100% be in the squad for the next campaign, why would he even play in these meaningless friendlies if he wasn't playing for a starting place in the team? He'll probably be McLeish' number 1 even when Gordon is fit, this wouldn't surprise me. Aye 36 isn't young but he's a keeper ffs, pretty sure he'll be still playing for another few years.

9 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Don't agree with that at all, he'll 100% be in the squad for the next campaign, why would he even play in these meaningless friendlies if he wasn't playing for a starting place in the team? He'll probably be McLeish' number 1 even when Gordon is fit, this wouldn't surprise me. Aye 36 isn't young but he's a keeper ffs, pretty sure he'll be still playing for another few years.

Gordon and McGregor are on their way out is my point.  Even if both have 2-3 years left, it does not help us in the future. When they inevitably retire we're going to be stuck with 24/25/26 year old keepers that haven't even had a cap.  Get them in there now during shite friendlies and give them the experience, it makes absolutely no sense playing McGregor for both of those matches, even if you have him marked as your number 1 (which I don't believe he will be). Everywhere else on the pitch we're looking to bring youth through, I have no idea why the goalkeeper position should be any different.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Gordon and McGregor are on their way out is my point.  Even if both have 2-3 years left, it does not help us in the future. When they inevitably retire we're going to be stuck with 24/25/26 year old keepers that haven't even had a cap.  Get them in there now during shite friendlies and give them the experience, it makes absolutely no sense playing McGregor for both of those matches, even if you have him marked as your number 1 (which I don't believe he will be). Everywhere else on the pitch we're looking to bring youth through, I have no idea why the goalkeeper position should be any different.

I completely hear ya but the fact is one of McGregor or Gordon will be our number 1 keeper for this next campaign with one or the other being number 2, it makes sense after this next campaign to see what the younger keepers are like going forward but at this moment in time there is no need, none of them are going to get a sniff of being number 1. It's a bit different in other positions we have, apart from left back the younger lads have been given a chance because we basically needed some sort of change in certain postions, we now have a blend of experience and youth outwith the keeper fighting for places, that's not going to happen for at least 2-3 years for yer keepers.

We could probably argue about this all day to be fair haha.

I think the issue is that with the advent of the Nations League unless you get drawn in a group of three then every game you play will be competitive. From now on it'll be very difficult to give a keeper forty-five minutes in a friendly. It'll be ninety competitive minutes or nothing.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think the issue is that with the advent of the Nations League unless you get drawn in a group of three then every game you play will be competitive. From now on it'll be very difficult to give a keeper forty-five minutes in a friendly. It'll be ninety competitive minutes or nothing.

Yeah. Say the older keepers are injured for the NL games: I'd feel uncomfortable watching Archer run out knowing these were to be his first ever full international minutes. He might do fine in that circumstance, but it feels like an easy opportunity to avoid first cap stage fright was missed in the recent dbl header.

Paterson keeps scoring for Cardiff.

Seems like he could be a good 'brute force' option in attacking midfield if, say, we're on 60 mins and Armstrong and McGregor are being muscled out of the game. At RB he just seems to be filling a jersey - little pace or trickery and average defending.

Archived