Scotland name squad

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The best way would be to compare teams in competitive action, there's absolutely no chance you can be serious with trying to compare teams based on a pre season game. 

It's over rated certainly but it's still a higher standard, the bottom half still has plenty money and is by and large still a better standard with a better quality of football. There's absolutely no reason why the majority of the clubs in the Premiership should think they're on a similar level to clubs in the championship, the money and resources is miles above what we have up here. 

Why? Both clubs are at the same stage of pre-season. Sunderland played a stronger eleven than we did and got absolutely scudded. 

You see a player moving for £6m and assume he's a better player than someone Aberdeen sign for free. It doesn't work that way. English football has a rotten history now of overspending to the point its become normal, their transfer market is unique. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Championship should be miles better given the wealth gap.  In reality it's probably marginally better and is clogged up with attritional wall bangers with very little technical ability.

Didn't a third string Celtic pump Sunderland pre-season? 

8 hours ago, onecowden said:

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why? Both clubs are at the same stage of pre-season. Sunderland played a stronger eleven than we did and got absolutely scudded. 

You see a player moving for £6m and assume he's a better player than someone Aberdeen sign for free. It doesn't work that way. English football has a rotten history now of overspending to the point its become normal, their transfer market is unique. 

I've genuinely never seen anyone try to seriously use pre season as a genuine comparison of teams, every pre season there's teams getting beat by smaller ones, the players themselves aren't as competitive in them, managers are trying out different tactics. 

I don't assume he's better, I watch championship games and I watch Premiership games, the games I watch in the championship show a higher standard with players of a better technical ability. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The best way would be to compare teams in competitive action, there's absolutely no chance you can be serious with trying to compare teams based on a pre season game. 

It's over rated certainly but it's still a higher standard, the bottom half still has plenty money and is by and large still a better standard with a better quality of football. There's absolutely no reason why the majority of the clubs in the Premiership should think they're on a similar level to clubs in the championship, the money and resources is miles above what we have up here. 

All a matter of opinion but I'd love to know what games you watch in the championship that you would sit and say wow that is a much higher standard than up here.

From what I have watched this season in terms of teams playing decent football Wolves and Fulham are the only two that have impressed me.

Both teams have spent silly money and will most likely be in the premiership next season but in my opinion neither would beat Celtic on their day.

Cardiff are sitting 2nd and are full of hammer throwers along with the likes of Milwall, Sheff Utd, Aston Villa to name a few at the top end of the table.

As I have said previously its not really easy to compare the two leagues because down there it is more physically challenging for a defender  than it is up here which makes it more physically testing also for a striker. A lot of teams play percentage football and it is horrible to watch.  The likes of Joe Garner and Martyn Waghorn thriving in that league says it all. The boy Maddison who was at Aberdeen also has plenty talent but wouldn't of got near the Celtic team last season and spent a lot of games on the bench for the dons.  He is now being touted for 20 odd million to spurs/liverpool based on a decent 8 months in that league which just shows the total inflated prices being thrown about down south.

Don't get me wrong I watch plenty dour games up here between top sides and overall squads are nowhere near as big as the teams down there but just because a club spends 12 million on a striker from another championship side does not make this guy so much better than some of the players we have up here.

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

You seem to be the only person on here to believe the championship in England is weaker than our top league in Scotland.

I think yer on the wind up

I never said its weaker and I also didn't say its stronger. I said its hard to compare first of all a 24 team league to a 12 team league when the finances between the clubs in that league have such huge gaps. There are clubs miles ahead of others in that league and some really awful footballing sides who sit in a pretty position. I believe we have better run clubs, better coaches and young players coming through our sides than the championship does.

I would bet heavily if every team was at full strength Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie & Rangers would beat the majority of teams in the top ten of that league. Celtic for me would beat them all. 

You can say I am the only person who believes it or you could say I am the only person who isn't duped by the media hype of a completely average league no better than our own product.

3 hours ago, Frankie S said:

There are Scottish Premiership sides that would struggle in League 2. As for the Scottish Championship :lol:

Settle. James Collins, who scored a grand total of 6 goals in 36 Premiership games for Hibs, is the 3rd top scorer. It's an awful standard :lol:

10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Settle. James Collins, who scored a grand total of 6 goals in 36 Premiership games for Hibs, is the 3rd top scorer. It's an awful standard :lol:

Having seen several League Two games while Argyle were down there, I concur. Unless the Scottish league has markedly worsened in the last 5-10 years.

League Two is dreadful because the teams don't have enough money to attract decent foreigners, and the decent English players aren't that desperate. It's basically full of jobbing pros. Pretty much all of the Championship and even a fair chunk of League One is more than decent because those teams have more money and some good English (and other Home Nations) players have been squeezed out of the EPL.

Talking of Plymouth, they're in the play-off places in English League 1 with a Scottish Premiership reject select.  The styles of football across the leagues are so different that it's hard to properly compare - there as loads of guys who are great down there and dreadful up here, but also some good Premiership players who go down there and struggle.

Honestly who cares. But people certainly change their opinions on it for fun. The old saying used to be that the Championship was overrated and Strachan (or whoever) showed disrespect to the Scottish game. That’s funnily enough changed for whatever reason.

The English championship is a higher level than the SPFL, I didn't even realise this was even a debate really.  The Scottish Premiership is in between the English league 1 and the English championship for me.
Also regarding doing well for youth levels, As good as McKenna has done the fact Lindsay hasnt had look in shows the incompetency of the youth selectors. Again this isnt really up for debate given how shite Scotland have been of late at youth level and the coaches getting swapped about instead of binned.

Ftfy m8

6 hours ago, ekfootball said:

I never said its weaker and I also didn't say its stronger. I said its hard to compare first of all a 24 team league to a 12 team league when the finances between the clubs in that league have such huge gaps. There are clubs miles ahead of others in that league and some really awful footballing sides who sit in a pretty position. I believe we have better run clubs, better coaches and young players coming through our sides than the championship does.

I would bet heavily if every team was at full strength Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie & Rangers would beat the majority of teams in the top ten of that league. Celtic for me would beat them all. 

You can say I am the only person who believes it or you could say I am the only person who isn't duped by the media hype of a completely average league no better than our own product.

If Brentford were at full strength and playing to there best,  the only side who would beat them would be Celtic, as the table shows Brentford are bang on mid table. 

If Brentford were at full strength and playing to there best,  the only side who would beat them would be Celtic, as the table shows Brentford are bang on mid table. 

You don’t know this though, this is all just guesswork.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

You don’t know this though, this is all just guesswork.

Of course it is, I can't say for a fact, I'm going purely by what I've watched. 

I was very much of the opinion that the championship was massively overrated until I actually went to the games, even the poorer sides are better than I would have given them credit for and it helped me understand why Strachan seemed to prefer players in the championship to the Premiership. 

Of course it is, I can't say for a fact, I'm going purely by what I've watched. 

I was very much of the opinion that the championship was massively overrated until I actually went to the games, even the poorer sides are better than I would have given them credit for and it helped me understand why Strachan seemed to prefer players in the championship to the Premiership. 

The Championship is never off the TV I’m sure most people will be able to make a judgement for themselves.

The Championship is definitely of a higher standard throughout but from what I’ve seen our top teams would be fine in that league.

Certainly not that big of a gap to say Brentford would beat everybody but Celtic anyway.

Archived